lynne

AUTISM BILL

Mine will not be there and will not be voting.

I thought this would be the case as this bill does not cover Scotland.

I just received a very nice (long) e-mail from him, giving his reasons and he also gave me information about contacting my MSP which could be useful, they are apparently trying to do something similar in Scotland, so I will have to look into this.

Well it was worth a try, he might of been down there on the day!

I've just received this via the Kent Autistic Trust:

Dear Supporter,

I am delighted to write to you about a vital new Government commitment to improve the lives of people with autism. Thanks to your fantastic support, and the crucial help of Cheryl Gillan MP, we have together succeeded in persuading the Government to address all the issues raised by the Cheryl Gillan Autism Bill.

Government Announcement

In a joint Government statement to MPs, Phil Hope MP, Minister for Care Services, and Sarah McCarthy-Fry MP, Minister for Schools and Learners have announced a far-reaching set of initiatives to improve the lives of people with autism in England. The measures announced are a direct response to the Cheryl Gillan Autism Bill and address all the outcomes sought in the Bill.

The measures include:

A new legal duty to ensure local authorities and other local agencies include children with autism in their plans for children's services. This will be part of a new law to be introduced over the coming year.

Statutory guidance for local authorities to reinforce the forthcoming adult autism strategy. The Government have pledged that this will be backed up with funding and support to ensure that "the final autism strategy will have the bite it needs to be delivered". A consultation on the Autism Strategy will start in April.

These measures, and further details announced today, will compel local authorities to take account of people with autism and their needs, and enable people to challenge their local authority in court if they fail to do so.

What now for the Autism Bill?

Public and parliamentary support for Cheryl Gillan MP and the Autism Bill has been overwhelming. To date around 6,000 people have contacted their MP about the Bill, and we have now exceeded our target to have 100 MPs attend the debate in Parliament on 27 February (in fact we now have 115 MPs)!

The strength of public opinion and the knock-on effect in parliament has prompted the Government announcement above. The measures set out by Ministers cover all aspects of the Autism Bill. Cheryl Gillan MP said: "It was critically important to me that my Private Members' Bill should cover an area that ordinarily would be overlooked ? today's announcement is a testament to the weight of support from my colleagues and autism campaigners. I will keep campaigning until I hear the Government pledge to fully support people affected by autism in Parliament. The real test will be in how they implement this package of measures in the long term."

The parliamentary support for autism that you have helped to build, and the debate on 27 February in the House of Commons, can now be used to secure these Government commitments, and to explore the details of how each measure will be implemented.

Thank you so much for your help in securing this huge step forward for people with autism.

The National Autistic Society

This was the press release from my MP :thumbs:

MP supports "Autism Law"

3rd February 2009

Doug Naysmith, MP for Bristol North West, has promised to be in Parliament to support The Autism Bill, backed by the National Autistic Society (NAS) and thirteen other charities. This bill, the first ever about autism, needs 100 MPs to vote for it on February 27th ? a day when they would usually be working in their constituencies.

Doug Naysmith said, "This is not a matter for party politics, but a critically important issue that is far too often overlooked and which affects people in Bristol North West and every other constituency. The Autism Bill has the potential to radically transform thousands of lives in the area - I will be there to vote on the 27th and I hope many more of my colleagues will show their support.

"Many people with autism don?t receive the kind of support they need to help them achieve their potential. About two thirds of local authorities in England don?t know how many children with autism there are, so obviously they cannot provide the necessary help."

Mark Lever, Chief Executive of the NAS, said; "We are delighted to have Doug?s support and strongly urge other MPs to follow his lead. The Autism Bill is a huge step forward in ensuring a brighter future for people with this serious, lifelong and disabling condition, but we urgently need support to make this law. Without the right help autism can have a profound and sometimes devastating effect and we will keep campaigning until we see real change at a local level."

The Autism Bill aims to place a duty on local authorities to recognise and fulfil their responsibilities towards people with autism. Measures proposed include: improving local information on the number of children and adults with autism, providing effective support from child to adult services and tackling the chronic lack of help for adults with the condition.

The Autism Bill is being taken forward by Cheryl Gillan MP, who was first out of the private members? ballot.

The NAS, the UK?s leading autism charity, is urging local people to email their MP to back the bill at www.autismbill.org.uk/autismbill.

the quote from the care services minister saying they dont need the bill - "We believe this action is best taken without recourse to legislation which risks restricting the flexibility of service commissioning and provision".

that to me seems to be political talk for 'we dont want a legally binding rule because we can get away with doing less if we just have an agreement, and can stop it altogether once people stop paying so much attention'

is like all this talk of working out how many adults have autism. how on earth do they think they're going to manage that when the majority of people with the milder forms wont have a diagnosis, another portion of adults will have a private diagnosis because the NHS wouldn't test them, and a few lucky souls have managed to get a dx in recent years. the first step has to be establishing an effective diagnostic system so that you can find out who has it before you count them

Edited by NobbyNobbs

I think you folks are right. The services will kick and scream and try to shiftily get this taken down so that they have no legal obligation to provide services, I mean that is where we are at at the moment and services are shambolic. :wallbash: I really hope that this bill goes through :pray:

It doesn't like it to me? Is that bad news??? Looks more like 30

Joanne

Doesn't look anywhere near 100 :tearful: So there are a lot of MPs who said they would be there and aren't :angry:

Still a long way to go, and I've no idea whether this makes the whole thing much more likely to become law or not, but that's certainly a positive step forward.

(I assume all the MPs who suddenly appeared must have been waiting in their offices for the voting to be called).

Phil

I'm no expert, but this from the Parliament Web site:

* First reading (formal introduction of the Bill without debate)

* Second reading (general debate)

* Committee stage (detailed examination, debate and amendments. In the House of Commons this stage takes place in a Public Bill Committee.)

* Report stage (opportunity for further amendments)

* Third reading (final chance for debate; amendments are possible in the Lords)

When a Bill has passed through both Houses it is returned to the first House (where it started) for the second House's amendments to be considered.

Both Houses must agree on the final text. There may be several rounds of exchanges between the two Houses until agreement is reached on every word of the Bill. Once this happens the Bill proceeds to the next stage: Royal Assent.

* Royal Assent (granted by the monarch)

* Act of Parliament (the proposals of the Bill have now become law)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As you can see, having passed 2nd reading, it still has a long way to go - but from what I understand, getting this far is a *major* achievement for a Private Member's Bill, so hopefully it has a good chance of progressing all the way.

Phil

thank you! i very nearly have a degree in american studies, so i know the US system from the inside out but odly haven't picked up the british one.

it really doesn't look too good with all those stages, especially with others trying to block it :(

From this link: http://www.parliament.uk/documents/upload/...Billsandhow.pdf

After 2nd reading (which has now happened), Committee stage ssually starts two weeks after Second Reading and can take anything from one meeting to several months.

Once it has passed committee, it goes to Report (usually about 2 weeks).

After Report, usually immediately to 3rd Reading (same day).

Once it has passed 3rd reading, it then goes to the House of Lords and effectively starts all over again... although the process is a little shorter (committee stage is only a few days).

It *might* then bounce back and forth between the Commons and Lords as they each consider each other's amendments.

So, it could take many months; in the case of this bill I understand the Government are essentially against it, so it could take some time, but they would claim that they have already started their own process anyway...

Phil

Yes i read on the news that its unlikely the government will give the bill the support it needs to become law! It sucks really doesn't it. As there isn't enough help and support out there.

If the government say they are making plans to get the same results as the proposed bill, why do they oppose it so much? Is it because it would then be law and not just guidance?

Joanne

If the government say they are making plans to get the same results as the proposed bill, why do they oppose it so much? Is it because it would then be law and not just guidance?

Joanne

It's because the MP who brought it is a Conservative. They want to pre-empt it, so they get the credit.

There's a distinction between 'guidelines' which are best practice which people are expected to follow, but which are not legally binding, and 'guidance'. 'Guidance' usually refers to 'statutory guidance' which consists of legally binding regulations brought in after the main legislation has been passed. This is supposed to offer the government the opportunity to fine-tune regulations which need changing from time to time, without having to go through the long process of formally changing legislation. In practice, it means they can frame a Bill in general terms, so no one objects, and then change the law without MPs necessarily noticing.

Sue

what worries me is that the government are trying to publicly say the bill is a bad idea, and are saying they already have the same goals in the pipeline, but apart from some vague comment of counting the number of adults with autism haven't said anything else about what this grand plan is. surely if they want to convince people the bill is a bad idea, they should be shouting about all the great things they're going to do! makes me think they dont actually have anything to compete with the bill, theyre just talking while coming up with a scheme.

Hi

I'm horrified. I have signed petitions about this. I am quite new to the forum as my son is only being assessed now. However I found out today that the bill only applies to england and Wales. I am from Scotland. So if anyone is from Scotland or Northern Ireland I think we should all contact our local MPs and make sure this becomes a passed bill in devolved parliament.

taken from BBC news

Mr Hope set out measures the government planned to bring forward including new "statutory guidance" for authorities on children with autism, "robust" data collection systems, commissioning guidance for Primary Care Trusts and a new consultation on a strategy for adults with autism.

autistic adults do not need another consultation... they need action!!! and notice the statutory guidance only applies to children. adults will once again be overlooked. why can't they work out that children grow up and autism doesn't go away?!

fortunately it seems that everyone is quite enjoying rebelling against the government. the quotes from other MPs were very amusing. hopefully everyone will carry on supporting

Edited by NobbyNobbs

The Autism Bill is not just for children it is very much about adults to. I totally believe that we need legislation to act as a base line to stop the nightmares so many of you have experienced in the past. There is a long way to go and anyone who feels strongly about this should get in touch with the NAS. Mark Lever their Chief Exec is the guy who needs to know how people feel about this.

Here is some info that people here might find useful and it includes the debate in full.

Sites to visit for updates and information ?

http://www.parliamentlive.tv/Main/VideoPla...3452&rel=ok

Autism was debated for four hours in Parliament on 27 February 2009, with a full examination of the Government's recent commitment to improving the lives of both children and adults with autism in England. This parliamentary time and support for autism from over 100 MPs is unprecedented.

http://www.autism.org.uk/autismbill

Want more detail on the Autism Bill? Please see 'Related resources' below for downloadable documents.

http://www.autism.org.uk/nas/jsp/polopoly....152&a=18760

Follow the progress of the Autism Bill including links to debates and procedures.

http://services.parliament.uk/bills/2008-09/autism.html

Many MPs committed to attend the debate on the Autism Bill on 27 February 2009. Is your MP on the list?

http://www.autism.org.uk/nas/jsp/polopoly....152&a=18655

This is worth a read http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/joepubli.../uk-autism-bill

Cat

Edited by Cat

i didn't mean the bill wasn't for adults. i mean the government thing that they're saying is as good as the bill isn't.. the quote was from the main guy encouraging everyone to oppose the bill, saying what they would do instead of having legislation.

what worries me is that the government are trying to publicly say the bill is a bad idea, and are saying they already have the same goals in the pipeline, but apart from some vague comment of counting the number of adults with autism haven't said anything else about what this grand plan is. surely if they want to convince people the bill is a bad idea, they should be shouting about all the great things they're going to do! makes me think they dont actually have anything to compete with the bill, theyre just talking while coming up with a scheme.

i sent them a email yesterday supporting why the bill should go ahead hope that will work. i had to do that