Sign in to follow this  
NikkiSmith

Anyone complained about Education?

Whilst I am on a roll with my Stage 3 complaint about Social Services, I thought I might as well start on the Education route too!

My problem is that my 6yr old ds is at a CLD school and is now "too able" for it (I am not knocking that - it's fantastic!) and don't have a suitable peer group.

My issue is that the school said he needed to change schools at his annual review in September 08 and the seemingly OK bloke from the LA agreed and got that the long list of schools I had seen wouldn't be able to meet ds's needs and was pleased that I was going to see a private language school (as language is his biggest issue).

At the beginning of December they tried to get the local MLD school to take him. They refused as he was "too able" and wouldn't have a suitable peer group.

So then they sent his paperwork to a mainstream jnrs with a resource unit. The senco went to his school to observe him and said they couldn't manage him.

Now the seemingly OK (but getting less so every time I talk to him!) bloke at the LA says they are now talking about the MLD school with specific SALT input....that or just leaving him where he is and NOT amending his statement!! Which means I cannot appeal in anyway!

So I know I can request a re-assessment, but that will take time and means leaving him in a placement that is so totally unsuitable for him for even longer.

I was wondering if making an official complaint about them dragging their heels would make any difference?? I feel I have to do something and I don't think there are any other options.... anyone know of anything else I could do?

Nikki.

Sorry if this seems negative but I need to ask, if you haven't identified a suitable placement what practical use would a complaint be? I would be concerned that the outcome would be to shoe-horn him into a placement that isn't suitable with inappropriate support, just because you've used the formal complaint process. It looks like you have an increasingly strong case for an independent school - have you seen any? The ed Psych or SALT might be worth calling for an informal chat about what's suitable.

Oooops I forgot that crucial bit!

Yes, I have found the perfect placement - it's a non-maintained place in a neighbouring county that would be ideal as it's specifically for children with language issues. It was the last school I went to see and the only one where I saw children just like my ds.

They have a speech therapist in every class and there are a maximum of 10 children in each class (with a teacher and classroom assistant too) and therefore my ds would get the SALT input that he so obviously needs.

The Ed Psych had seen the school before and thought it was the only suitable place for him and her latest report basically says this but without mentioning the actual school (or else I guess she would be in big trouble!) The SALT at his CLD school and the Deputy Head came to look around the school with me (as well as Smiley!) and both of them thought it was just want he needed.

I think what gets me is the LA bloke knew in September that this was going to be the only placement that was suitable.... yet those in charge of the budget clearly don't like it!

DS has an ASD and an expressive and receptive language disorder.

I don't want to go through the saga of complaining if it's not going to help matters. It's taken 11.5months to get to the point of going to the ombudsman with SS, if going down this route for education is avoidable then I'll happily skip it, but I can't see how else I get my ds what he needs.

Thanks for replying.

Oooops I forgot that crucial bit!

:rolleyes: lol And you have the report from the annual review stating current placement no longer suitable? You have written requesting the school? Have they told you when the SEN Panel is next sitting and whether your son is on the agenda? You've written to the Director of CS?

Quickest way, if you have explored all avenues is to write to the Director saying you are going to instruct a solicitor if you don't hear when your child's case is going to panel within the next seven days. Then you have to go and get a solicitor if they don't respond. As you already know the complaints process takes forever, a solicitor is quicker.

DS was discussed at their LAPAG (Local Assessment and Placement Advisory Group - which i believe is their panel) on 4th December 08.

I have it in writing (as well as a Head Teacher yelling it from the rooftop) that the CLD school is no longer suitable.

Have put my view of which school is suitable in writing.

I haven't yet written to the Director, but will give that a go.

I have a solicitor who is prepared to take on this battle and SS, so I guess it'll keep him busy for a while! ;)

Thank you call me jaded :notworthy: you have helped me make a decision - hopefully the LA will pull their finger out without too much aggro. :pray:

I'm off to start a letter to the Director.....

LAPAG is the panel that considers places in HCC mainstream and special schools. It meets once a week. You need them to agree to pass it to the CPG panel, that considers out-of-county and independent schools (who only meet once a month). They will only do this when they are sure there are no HCC schools that he could go to.

I would call Mr PC and ask him to clarify what is happening. Are LAPAG happy that the schools suggested cannot meet his needs? Are they going to suggest any other schools? When will LAPAG next discuss your child? (You can send in a letter/evidence that they have to read at that meeting). Is the letter from the MLD school clear that it is not just lack of SaLT provision that makes it an unsuitable placement.

What does it say in the Review Report (which you should have had by now)? Does it state that the current placement is no longer suitable?

Once you have this information, you can start to put pressure on PCs bosses.

Hmmm..... I haven't been to see that one! I think I might go and have a look - just to see if they could provide ds with the SALT input he desperately needs.

Thank you :)

Nikki,

I went through the complaints procedure with the suppor of my MP who contacted the Head of Schools & Learning, funnily enough once the initial complaint was raised they quickly moved our case forward and we got the school which we believed was best for our son. (I think it might be the school you looked at, if its one from the "P" Group IYKWIM).

DS son started in November and has come on in leaps and bounds, the school is brilliant and really understands AS.

My DH and I loved the school as suggested by MurphySG, though was total unsuitable for our child, its much larger than the other school with a lot more children with an asortment of conditions. At that school they have onsite therapists and councellors. Our LA really pushed for this school as it is a hell of a lot cheaper than the one we are at now, in my complaint I also complained about this push as they clearly had no understand of my child's individual needs.

If you think there is anything I can do to help, please do not hesitate to ask.

Clare x x x

Clare - I'm glad to hear that you got your son to the right school eventually and that complaining actually helped!

I went to see the "P" group school and they felt that ds would cope there, but "The M" one in Ottershaw that very few people have ever heard of is the only one that will be able to give him the input he needs.

I am told that if they are going to amend his statement they have to do it by 16th Feb.....so if they don't I intend to send of my letter of complaint and see if that's gets us anywhere.

Thanks,

Nikki.

Hi Nikki,

Good luck for the 16th Feb.

The M school would only be up the road from me and I never heard of it nor was it suggested to us ah well, I hope a suitable placement is found very soon.

Clare x x x