Sign in to follow this  
Diane

A step forwards.

As some of you will know when I first posted on here my son and I were struggling to come to terms with is diagnosis which he was given in October 2007. We have moved on. I am most of the time ok with it, I guess like most I have my moments.

THE BEST NEWS IS........... :thumbs: :thumbs:

Yesterday whilst driving my son to his new school he said to me 'guess what mum? There is a boy in my school who has Aspergers, he told me and he something else as well, I am glad I don't have something else!' I asked him who it was and he told me all about him. Then there was a slight pause and the conversation continued..

'Alistair are thre any more children at your school with Aspergers?'

'I have already told you mum ****** has Aspergers. He told me'

A short pause

'Actually there might be some other children because they do the things that I do, and if they did not do them you would not know they have Apergers. I do not know if they have they have not told me.

I was speechless. I have to confess I wanted to giggle as most of the 30 children who attend his school are on the spectrum. After nearly four months of going he is identifying with others. Such a break through.

There was not anger when he told me that this child was like him. I know this is really going to help him come to terms with the fast that he has AS.

I am feeling on top of the world. :dance: :dance: :dance::dance:

That's excellent, Dianne!!

OJ is at a mainstream secondary school and has been able to spot all the AS kids there and interestingly quite a few of them gravitate to each other and seem to share their own Theory of Mind!!

Stella x

I think that is really good. He is beginning to identfy himself and others, who are the same as him. He knows he isn't the only one!

My son thinks that I think he is crazy and doesn't understand what the spectrum is or anything.

I pray for the day that he can say something like that to me. Or even something positive, although I won't hold my breath.

Great news for you!!!

Joanne

It is wonderful to have such lovely and understanding people to share not just the difficult times but the celebrations with as well.

Thank you all.

As some of you will know when I first posted on here my son and I were struggling to come to terms with is diagnosis which he was given in October 2007. We have moved on. I am most of the time ok with it, I guess like most I have my moments.

THE BEST NEWS IS........... :thumbs: :thumbs:

Yesterday whilst driving my son to his new school he said to me 'guess what mum? There is a boy in my school who has Aspergers, he told me and he something else as well, I am glad I don't have something else!' I asked him who it was and he told me all about him. Then there was a slight pause and the conversation continued..

'Alistair are thre any more children at your school with Aspergers?'

'I have already told you mum ****** has Aspergers. He told me'

A short pause

'Actually there might be some other children because they do the things that I do, and if they did not do them you would not know they have Apergers. I do not know if they have they have not told me.

I was speechless. I have to confess I wanted to giggle as most of the 30 children who attend his school are on the spectrum. After nearly four months of going he is identifying with others. Such a break through.

There was not anger when he told me that this child was like him. I know this is really going to help him come to terms with the fast that he has AS.

I am feeling on top of the world. :dance: :dance: :dance::dance:

Dear Diana,

Lovely story happy to read it.

There will be lots of things in the future that you will really enjoy in your son which he would not have if he was not asperger spectrum.

Difficulties too of course.

best wishes

Edith :thumbs:

Thank you Edith. It has been a long time coming, I thought we would never have enjoyable expereinces.

The hard thing is he has a wonderful time in his new school and he is happy with his outreach worker and his psychologist but when he is at home he so sad and miserable that it feels like everyone else can make him happy except for me. I wonder what it is that I am doing wrong and everyone else is getting right. I it is unfair that others get to laugh with my son and I do not.

Your comment has given me hope that one day I will get to do this with him as well.

Thank you.

Goods news it has never occured to me that my son was ever bothered by his diagnosis in fact when I told him he laughed and said is it like asparagus so now he calls it aspargus instead of aspergers and has always known he has special knees (He is a funny chap) The other day he was talking about being different at his school (which is a school for children with ASD/Aspergers and emotional and behavioural dififficulties) I thought that was odd and I said why because you have aspergers he replied No that is just what I have it can't be helped...He was actually talking about being the only vegetarian at school. :D