Mookamoo

Volume Control

Any ideas? We are having an issue with ds who is very loud during class. Not always 'angry' noises, just not noticing the loudness of his voice.

We have considered recording him and playing it back, but as the moment has passed I suspect he won't relate the person on the tape to himself.

Have also considered getting an audio volume meter (those that measure the decibels) but he will just look at the reading and zone out, and not do any work......

Edited by Mookamoo

My son has a voice like foghorn leghorn at times;

I used to say to him that on a scale of 1-10, his voice was a 12, and he needed to turn it down to a 5 or 6.

My daughter has a super duper squeaky high high high pitched noise she does all of the time. It is like nails on a chalkboard! She thinks she is whistling. The dogs in the neighbourhood are starting to get a protest going outside of my house!

Hi

We used to have this all the time with OJ - the thing that works with him is to wind an imaginery volume control button with my hand - he has learnt what that means and will then quieten down his voice!

Stella x

I use hand signals with my son.

I have made a volume control strip for a child at school, which I can e-mail you if you would like. We have talked about and practised adjusting the volume of his voice/on the strip as we walk round the school, as appropriate. Funnily, when I asked him to shout in the playground, he didn't want to!

My son is the same it is like having a fog horn in the house that never turns off or down lol.

Hi, i posted on another topic about a book called "the incredible 5 point scale", for more detail see

http://www.asd-forum.org.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=20347

sort of like Sallya's post about her son speaking at a 12 and she telling him to turn it down to a 5 or 6!!! Uses visual scale like a thermometer and pictures (and adults practising with kids the sort of volumes to use at each level) to remind them....

Edited by westie

My daughter has a very loud voice and when I asked her to tone it down she would get very defensive with me. We had a chat and I explained that she doesn't realise how loud she is and if I quietly say to her, voice babe, when she does it to not take offence. She now knows the cue and doesn't even stop speaking whilst turning down the volume. My son has a super high pitched voice, which I am aware of but it doesn't bother me. Could this be because I may be an aspie too? However my partner is NT and my sons voice really grates on my partners nerves. We tell him when he's doing it and he uses his 'nice voice' for a few minutes before it returns.