Sign in to follow this  
pookie170

Ze Birds und ze Bees!!!

I have been saying for quite some time now that I need to sit down with Cal and have that talk....

You know, THAT talk.........about adolescence and contaception and all the rest of it.

This past week, though, hes asked a few questions that have galvanised my resolve, but I wonder if any of you have any recommendations of good sex education books? I can't tell online which books are naff, and which explain things well. I am up for having a very frank, open, honest conversation about this stuff with him, but I think having a visual aid will help him understand best.

I have no idea where I should be posting this, so decided here might be okay.....

Any suggestions?

I can't recommend any specific book, but do go to the library or a bookshop and look through some first. I have seen a few and they do vary a lot. Some I did not like at all. My eldest likes things to be facutal.

Let's Talk About Sex by Robie H Harris is a great book and widely recommended. It's for about 8 plus I think. Very factual but with nice little cartoons that make it more fun.

Karen

x

Very factual but with nice little cartoons that make it more fun.

More fun?!?!?!?!?! :devil:

(Sorry, I'll return to darkened corner :shame:)

My ds has always known bits but it has all come together this year as hes doing it at school. I have 3 kids and we have had the talk with them all but j seemed to not ignore it but not get it itms. I know with j even though we have had "the talk" that a book that didnt have the word sex on the cover would be better as he would get embarrassed hes 12 and my others are 6 and 8 and they are not at all embarrassed. Apart from the day ds1 teacher called me in giggling and then proceeded to tell me that when his se teacher said vagina j put his hand up and said "i know another word for that miss Bush" lol wasnt funny for me at the time.

Had to laugh at your post.

Had that talk with my 12 year old son with Aspergers recently when he announced to the world that his Mum and Dad have had "vital sex" three times as we have three children. The book he'd read said it was vital to have sex in order to make a baby. Gone on to long conversations about all sorts and did have to admit to having had sex three times!!! He's definately at the "urgh, my parents do THAT!" stage. Secondary school are covering reproduction very factually at present and we try and keep it softer and more gentle for him at home, explaining concepts like love around sex etc. Also, explained (tongue in cheek) that if he lives till he's 80 he doesn't need to start having sex until he's over 16 as he'd have to do it lots if he did! At the moment it's enough to deter him - bet it doesn't last!!!!!!!!!

How spooky- got a letter in his bag yesterday informing me that sex ed is going to start next month! Not that I'll leave it to the school-in fact, we're off to the library tomorrow (IN SERVICE DAY- YAAAY!!) to check out some books!

Ta for the link, Nells, I shall get him to come look at it with me.

Let's Talk About Sex by Robie H Harris is a great book and widely recommended. It's for about 8 plus I think. Very factual but with nice little cartoons that make it more fun.

Karen

x

I agree this is a good one! It covers a lot of stuff.My son (12) has it but has started asking more detailed questions now so we may need to move on. I never had 'the talk' = just gave them the book and said if they have any questions just ask! Since then, I talk to them like they know it already ie I'm not trying to teach them anything and just deal with stuff as it comes up (so to speak). I bought 'Living with a Willy' :rolleyes: for my elder son but at the time (when he was about 11/12) thought it far too detailed. Still have it somewhere, will look again now he's 14 but he'll probably be mortified with embarrassment haha. I've taught 16-19 year olds for years and never felt embarrassed answering their questions but there's an age round 13/14 when you're just not sure how much they know and don't want to patronise or confuse them. Good Luck.

Y'know Warren, I am concerned that he should know about the physical side of having sex, as he was laughed at for being unknowledgeable....

One of the other boys used a slang term and asked Cal if he knew what it meant, and Cal's answer had them rolling on the floor laughing.......

But I'm much more anxious for him to learn more about the emotions that go with it, how he should respect women (before, during and after, IYKWIM!!) and how he should respect himself too.....

So he's picked a couple of books, one of which he can read at his leisure, the other I'm going to go through with him.

The books are not kept on the shelf but in a staff only room and were brought out at my request. So Cal and I flicked through them in order to choose the ones we liked...

Only, he then started asking, in a cringeworthily loud voice,

'Yes Mum, what is a ------?'

'So that's what the word ---- means!!'

And suchlike! Talk about a swift exit! As we checked the books out, the librarians were desperately trying not to laugh, but Cal engaged one of them in conversation (r.e. The books!) and she had to go and hide in the aforementioned room so he wouldn't see her guffaw.....

:blink::wub::o

Well , all I can say is he is definitely NOT coming with me when we return them!!!!!

Edited by pookie170

Whoops Pookie!!

Thing is why would he already know about it unless its covered in biology already??? unless hes socially well included with boys talk then he wont find things out from them and hes unlikely to figure things out for himself without prompting to make the "links". Learning the theory of a proper relationship is important although he will need social skills to achieve that.