Sign in to follow this  
bluefish

Talking to objects

Hi,just wondered if anyone else has found this?

Ds seems to think his toys or books can get cold or upset he also greets them like you would greet a person... he says good morning to his books and asks them how they are, he became distressed that I had left a window open when we went out as he said his book would be cold. He seems to treat them in the same way he treats the people in his life.

He is 5 and half and in some areas around 2 years behind his peers. Just wondered if this was something children do as part of development?

Bluefish,

I have got the same thing over here. Awhile back I read that it was pretty common for kids with ASD's to have favorite toys, blankets, etc and to name them and talk to them. My dd has a Dora blanket that she calls "Mossy" and apparently I hurt it's feelings when I throw it around. She is now in her room crying about Lovey Love Heart and Mossy? It's really funny because I thought, great she is having some imagination but then she named about 5 of her toys Lovey. There was Lovey Love Heart and Lovey Love Bear and Lovey Love Cat etc. HAHAHA Sorry I have no advice. Just thought I would let you know I am in the same boat. -Skye

May I confess to still tucking my childhood teddy into bed every time we leave the house overnight or longer?..... :wub:

(I just like him to be comfortable!! Heheh!)

Look, you're talking to a woman who had a bookcase and a lamp-post as imaginary friends as a small child, so I'm kinda biased as to the non-oddness of this behaviour! :rolleyes:

I have to say I also felt my toys had needs and feelings, as well as our car, bikes.....I grew out of it by the time I was 12 (honest!) but I still love my Timmy Teddy!

I think this is a concern for my lads too, as we had a discussion about souls and suchlike, during which Cal asked,

'Do rocks have souls?'

Of course, I said no. 'How come?' So I launched into an explanation of live things/inanimate things, what makes something live,etc.

And he said, 'But how do you know a rock has no soul? It might not have been discovered yet.....everything we know now, was something we didn't know before......'

So I patted him on the head, stuck my hands in my pockets, and strolled on amiably with him........

What on earth do you say to that????

Ds seems to think his toys or books can get cold or upset he also greets them like you would greet a person... he says good morning to his books and asks them how they are, he became distressed that I had left a window open when we went out as he said his book would be cold. He seems to treat them in the same way he treats the people in his life.

Erm, do you mean that's not normal then? :unsure::lol:

I've knitted hats and jumpers for all my teddies to keep them warm this winter and I make sure their feet are under the covers before I open the window. And I tell them about my day - and tell them off if one of them knocks another one over, and apologise if I sit on one of them...

Hmm, yes, OK, I'll go and call the men in white coats myself :lol: :lol:

My son does it yeah....he tucks his teddies in at night to keep them warm, covers toys eyes when he gets changed so they cant see etc etc. :wacko: