Sign in to follow this  
pumpkinpie

appeals HELP

Since 2007 little p has been attending an out of area special school and is coming on leaps and bounds.

To get her in we agreed to transport her with our LA paying a small - emphesis on small amount towards our petrol.

The thing is with fuel rises etc we are really struggling and want them to pay more. Ideally we want to share a taxi with another child who lives close and goes to the same school but is out of area and get the La to pay more . At the mo they say they will arrange this but we have to pay 32 a day whilst they will contribute 3?

They say no and it looks like my only option is to go before The LAS education appals panel. Has anyone else got any experience of doing this ?

My oh job is dicy at the mo and whilst I am due to return to work after a career break I cant because we cant transport her. It really is a massive financial issue for us and any help would be aprreciated.

I have been to ipsea and theres not really any legal redress for us, we dont want to take her out of this fantastic school but if OH looses his job we will be ........ I have return to work and to do this would involve 100 mile a day round trip for me at the mo its looking as if I will have to resign and I really dont want to as it means no pension etc

Help?????????????? :wallbash::wallbash:

You need to cite a change in circumstances, but there's no obligation to provide transport unless it's the closest suitable school.

The other angle is to ask your employer for flexible working because you have a child with disability. My DH changed his working hours so that he can do the a.m. mainstream school run whilst I sit at home waiting for the taxi. The joy of being self-employed...

At the last Annual Review, did the LA agree that this school is meeting her needs and is still a suitable placement?

What was the alternative provision that the LA were suggesting instead of this school?

What would it have cost them to transport her there?

Do you think the LA still think their alternative school would meet her needs?

You need to prove that this school is meeting her needs (and preferably that there is no closer school that can), and then you can argue that you are no longer able to transport her as you have to return to work, so in order for her to be able to attend the school, she needs transport.

Are there any other children from your LA that get transport to the school?

At the annual review the school did say it was meeting her needs and my La agreed.

There isnt anyone else from my area that attnds the school. I do think my LA is operating a blanket policy wih regard to transport - they will may costs to mainstream but if the parents want a special school they make it very hard.

friends of mine have no probelms getting transport if its for mainstream - which is as much as it would cost them to transport my daughter but are refusing us.

Its very unfair

I do think my LA is operating a blanket policy wih regard to transport - they will pay costs to mainstream but if the parents want a special school they make it very hard.

friends of mine have no probelms getting transport if its for mainstream - which is as much as it would cost them to transport my daughter but are refusing us.

Its very unfair

Although the LA are paying transport costs to mainstream schools, they are not also paying large fees to the school. They are basically saying "We think a mainstream school could meet her needs, but if you really want a special school, we will agree, if you transport her" (transport often costs a lot more than the school fees). They phrase it like they are doing you a favour, and parents often agree because they are just glad to get the school.

I would call IPSEA and ask for a plan of action. If the school IS the nearest school that can meet her needs, then you should get transport paid.

When did you last challenge the LA on the transport issue? The rules introduced in 06 make it harder for LA's to refuse transport to children with SEN if they are attending their nearest suitable school.

If the LA never named a nearer alternative school to the special school, you are entitled to free transport as Kazzen says.

Download your LA's school transport policy from their website and see what it says. I began judicial review proceedings against my LA on a college transport issue - they backed down when it was made clear to them that their refusal to provide transport for my daughter was at odds with their own policy.

K x