Sign in to follow this  
mac4

Melatonin and bad dreams

:unsure: Hello I'm new to the forum,

We were told our daughter has Aspergers back in December 2008, since then we have had various appointments, one with a paediatrician and have been prescribed melatonin 2mg prolonged release which can be increased to 4mg if necessary. We have been using this since Thursday so we have now been using it for 5 days. Last night she woke with a terrible nightmare, she has never really had a nightmare before but then she has never really slept before!! Wondering if this is a possible side effect. Should I keep going with it? Has anyone else experienced this problem? This stuff really works and tonight she fell asleep while having her story read to her so I'm really reluctant to give it up so is B. Are nightmares common in ASD kids?

Look forward to your replies

Hi

My son is prone to hsving nightmares and is also on melatonin. I recollect having mentioned this to his consultant who prescribed it, but was advised that she hadn't heard of this before/that there was no obvious connection. I don't know what to think. We've continued with it and my son has been on melatonin for 1.5 years. I really don't know if there's any connection so will be watching this thread with interest.

Caroline

Hi,

My daughter suffers from nightmares and night terrors. She has always had them since I can remember. I feel so sorry for her to have to go through this almost every night. Her father who is also on the spectrum suffered from severe nightmares as well. I guess I assumed it was something that a lot of kids with ASD's had to deal with. The child psychologist has referred us to the paediatrician to try to get on Melatonin. I really hoped that this would help with her nightmares, but it is not sounding to promising after reading your posts. Anyway, sorry I can't be anymore help, Skye

P.S. Welcome to the forum!

Edited by skye

I have not heard of this connection before, but I'll be interested to hear if anyone else has.

However, someone who is sleep-deprived, when they finally do sleep, will experience longer phases of dream (REM) sleep than normal. The dreams can be more vivid, and if they are scary ones, that will make them even scarier. It's not unusual to have occasional nightmares, and as it's only been the one, there is probably no reason to assume a connection at this stage.

My son has sleep problems and sleep walks and has nightmares/dreams and will walk about shouting and yelling while still asleep.He has melatonin , but was having these problems before he was prescribed it.I know alot of ASD kids who have bad episodes of dreaming/sleepwalking,My thoughts were that it was connected to stress and anxiety.Best wishes suzex.

Hi

After having given this some thought, the fact that our kids are on melatonin in the first place is because their brains aren't sending or being sent the right messages - that it's time to recharge their batteries, so to speak, and go to sleep. I know that my son finds it incredibly difficult to wind down and would exist on very little sleep given the chance. I guess it's therefore reasonable to assume that despite having some assistance to sleep (melatonin) that their brains aren't completely resting or are still being overactive. I therefore doubt melatonin causes the nightmares.

C.

Nightmares and night-terrors do seem to be common in ASDs. The brain simply isn't switching off and is using the time when you need less energy to run the rest of the body to go into over-run.

I don't know anything about melatonin or how it works, so can't comment on that. However, I would just keep an eye on things with the nightmares/terrors. It's a problem I've always had that gets much worse under stress. Things came to a head two weeks ago when I hurt myself badly during a night terror without being consciously aware of it - waking up in that state is absolutely terrifying. I'm definately not saying things will get that bad and don't want to scare you, but it's always easier to deal with things before they before serious problems. I've now been given very strong sedatives in order to keep me safe at night and I think it's probably the first time in my life when I've had dreamless sleep - a very odd experience for me. :unsure:

My son is on Melatonin and sleep much better now, he doesnt have as many bad dreams though still have them but not as intence and I have seen a much better reaction from Js liquid Melatonin, sadly he wont commit to capsules or big tablets so needed liquid melatonin. and the results are much quicker.

Before the days of melatonin it was 1am, 2am and 3am screaming the house down until exhausted in a heap on the floor, when finally asleep he was freeking out from bad dreams, he has a lot of phobias, cant sleep in the dark, cant go in confinded spaces and he cant distinguish reality from fantasy so if he had watched a film that disturbed him he thought it was real, he still has these issues but now on melatonin his sleep is much better, his evening routines are much better too and I feel that helps him settle into a much deeper sleep, he isnt fighting, screaming and getting so stressed out like before so for us its improved his sleep, not made it worse though agree he dreams much deeper and this may make it scarey for your d if she isnt use to getting a full nights deeper sleep, sleep really does change your life, I found that out, with the help of melatonin.

JsMum.xx

Edited by JsMum

Many thanks for replies

The replies have brought up loads of issues and the benefits of melatonin.

It's sad to hear of so many kids who are having bad dreams this must be really distressing for the kids and the parents.

I have been doing some reading about melatonin and it has been know to cause 'abnormal' dreams in 1 out of 100 patients there seems to be a list of other side effects, however this is just one brand of melatonin it would be interesting to now compare with other branded and generic forms of the medication.

We've been very lucky and not had any nightmares since that night and the melatonin has done more than help with insomina, I believe it has calmed her whole mood and we now notice her meltdowns don't last for as long and aren't as aggressive.

:thumbs: With all the respect to you all and consultants, I can not belive you give these type of drugs to children. I also have an AS child. He could not sleep that's why I am up. I would never in my mind would give him drugs, that mess with the brain.

Most of this drugs have not enough back up in research to prove they will be beneficial in the long run. They might indeed be very harmfull. The same goes for antidepressents and all this type of brain related drugs. :wacko:

The guinea pigs are the people or children who take them and then 30/40 years latter, research comes to the conclusion it did more harm then good. And Obviosly a big court battle with Pharmaceutical industry.

Think about the big money all this big brands, who make medicines which they have no assured evidence is not going to afect a child long term.

Most possibly kids are awake because of all the addictives and preservatives in food this days. Go to http://www.ukfoodguide.net/enumeric.htm and check how damaging this are for our kids. :unsure:

Kids with AS usually react differently from anyone, with medicenes.

Also read books by Luke Jackson on food and AS and a very good book for parents and children, 'Freeks, Geeks, and Aspergers Syndrome', Also Tony Attwood. Can find this books on Amazone. If you haven't got them yet.

Adding to this, look up Big Pharma, a company who makes the sort of medicine you give to your kids, see what other scientists say.

If you still think you are doing good then fine. No one is perfect and we all make mistakes. Hopefully I am wrong and all will end up well.

All the best :thumbs:

I don't know anything about Melatonin so wont comment on that.

Dreams are the brains attempt to make sense of the random thoughts that are going round in our head whiles we are asleep.

Often with some input from out side, our hearing is never switched off, but our brain ignore most sound when asleep.

The other thing which needs to be remembered is that dreams are not in real time. What we remember when we wake up,is probably just the last fragment of the dream but it seems to have a long time span in real time.

A relative of mine use to have night terrors as a child then they redecorated his bedroom and they stopped.

If you believe the add on the telly, If you use the right make of Nappy your baby will have good dreams that make them more intelligent.

Edited by chris54

:thumbs: With all the respect to you all and consultants, I can not belive you give these type of drugs to children. I also have an AS child. He could not sleep that's why I am up. I would never in my mind would give him drugs, that mess with the brain.

All the best :thumbs:

Hi

I think it's a very personal decision as to whether or not to medicate a child and one which I'm sure no one takes lightly. I would certainly challenge your rather forthright opinion whether the drugs (melatonin) we're talking about 'mess up the brain'. I certainly don't take medicating my son lightly at all, in fact, it's something I've agonised over for a long time. However, melatonin is a natural hormone. It's something I've sought medical advice on and something which I've researched as well as I can. I feel that my son is better on it as he's getting some quality sleep and is able to cope better with school. I'm also able to function better as a parent with more sleep. I also work full-time. I've also debated with myself the whys and wherefores of giving my son, for example, antibiotics for an infection (which I have). I therefore don't feel that melatonin is any different as long as there's benefit there (I'm also feel at east knowing that melatonin is a natural hormone that's been researched). The fact is that any medication carries disclaimers stating possible side-effects and so there's always an element of risk to varying degrees. It's up to parents to seek medical advice and be informed about what's being taken, side effects, etc.

I think you've made a valid point about food additives, etc which can have an effect on weight, general health, etc.

Melatonin is a chemical produced by the brain in humans. It gets our bodies relaxed and ready for sleep. Incidently melatonin is also found in milk - which is why it is a good bedtime drink.

I wouldn't call it a drug and it certainly doesn't mess up your brain.

You're entitled to your opinion about medication and melatonin in general, Teresa, but this probably wasn't the best place to air it. Your post is judgemental and insensitive in the context of a thread asking for support.

Giving a child any kind of drug, natural or otherwise, is a decision few parents take lightly, and most parents are intelligent enough to weigh up the benefits and dangers of a particular remedy.

K x

Good Grief Teresa , if only we were all as perfect as you and our children as controllable. A lot of research has gone into these drugs and it is usually the very very last resort just before/after breaking point that we give them to our children . Walk a mile in my shoes eh ..

I apologise if I came across insensative and judgmental. I can understand that giving'drugs' to a kid would be the last resource. Possible I am very anxious that I will be advised for my son to take 'drugs' to control his sleep and anxiety. It frightens me, just to think about it. It's a fobia with quemicals. Though we can not get away from them.

Cumir, thanks for not assuming I was insensative. I was merely expressing an opinion and possibly awereness.

Lisac I am certtainly not perfect, if anything imperfect acording to 'normal' people as I also have AS. And trust me my children are not, unfortunetly easely controllable. Like many AS/ADHD/Dispraxia children they have a lot of medical problems. I have 3 children so I,

I possibly know what it is to walk in your shoes.

Once again, I AM SORRY IF I OFFENDED ANY OF YOU.

Al lthe best to you all.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ever tried? Ever failed? No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

- Samuel Beckett

Edited by teresa london

Sleep deprivation can really mess up your brain too.!thats why I decided to trial melatonin, it is a natural occuring hormone and its something body naturally releases, some people dont release enough and so my son takes his throw a liquid form, for us its saved us not just from messed up brains but a family crisis. I can think of a lot worse side effects if he wasnt given melatonin.

I Researched it a lot and tried many stratagies before trialing melatonin.

For us its been a real success.

JsMum

Thank's JS mum. That was a straight foward response. I supposed that was why I posted such an ignorante post.... SLEEP Deprived after all it was 4 in the morning when I posted it.

I feel more confidante that should be ok to give it to my son. It seems it might be the case I am in fact exhausted......

Thank's JS mum. That was a straight foward response. I supposed that was why I posted such an ignorante post.... SLEEP Deprived after all it was 4 in the morning when I posted it.

I feel more confidante that should be ok to give it to my son. It seems it might be the case I am in fact exhausted......

Hi Teresa when J wasnt sleeping until gone 1am- 2am it ment it was even later for me, it takes ages to unwind when you have had to cope with a sleepless child, your mind is the most active, your emotions all over the places and then there is the physical symptoms of lack of sleep, the only reason I was able to get J finally asleep and tuck him into bed was because he exhausted himself throw hours of crying, screaming, attatcking me and breaking property, he litrately fell in a heap exhausted, then after picking him up and tucking him bed I then had the task of winding down myself, often because of the stress I was passed it, too tired to sleep, too worried, not Knowing where to turn or who to discuss the situation with as it was now 3am, those days where so isolating, lonely and in dispair, his sleep deperavation was having a ripple effect on my sleep, it caused further disruption in the day, his behaviour deteriated quicker in the day simply because he was tired, he craved caffine to stay awake and we were in a vicous circle, we had to do something, well before I signed the paper of the unlicenced melatonin, I studied it, and since then we have implimented a range of interventions but the other interventions would not of worked without his melatonin because he simply wouldnt of been in a state to sleep.

In our area there is a sleeping difficulites course run by the sleep foundation, look into your area on courses that help children with Autism on sleeping difficulties, there is also sleep clinics too, though you need a referral from your gp.

Since melatonin and in conjuction with his interventions he sleeps a wopping 9-10hrs, that has to be better than a couple of hours and everything has improved, his mood, his behaviour, his emotions, though he has significant social skills impairments, he is much better with interacting, and again this has a ripple effect on the family, because now he gets 9-10hrs I get my time back in the evenings, I get around 7hrs sleep and I too feel much better, even in the holidays Ive managed with the help of melatonin to get him asleep before 10pm which for us is a miricle.

JsMumxxx

Edited by JsMum

I don't know whether it will help or not, but as a child, I suffered night terrors and incredible realistic dreams, and I still remember the gist of those. I have trouble with sleeping still. Dreams, yep, still get them, remember them and write them down to think about later, the odd thing, sometimes the dreams feature something I know, or have seen, an image or somewhat, other times, I am totally clueless as to where the imagery comes from. One dream, well terror I had from a child, was based upon a Jackanory episide, about a rock that lives, I even remember the name of that rock and what it did to stop a road being built. Ever since that terror, a terror where the rock I believed was coming to get me, and it's eyes reminded me of a skull, I have been fascinated with collecting and photographing rocks.

Melatonin, I have never been prescribed, but I have used it for getting a sleep pattern back after a long haul flight, or in the past for getting a good night's sleep when I needed to be sharp the next day or getting back into a regular pattern after night shift. I don't remember dreams with melatonin, I always took it as it gave deep and useful sleep without the annoyance of dreams.

Just to note, presently, I am nocturnal, I prefer the night for my creative pursuits, as at night my mind is alive and it is then when I design things, draw, make things, research and discover. The day time, creativity escapes me, which is not a lot of use as I am meant to be studying, researching and making at college. That has always been the problem with me and education. At work, I spent my days yawning and trying to keep awake, although I can function without food or sleep for a few days.

My diagnosis of ASD came only this year, so everything was without medication, although now, I am on citalopram for anxiety, these past two years.

Edited by Sa Skimrande