mom

medkinet

Have started my son on medkinet yesterday for adhd... was very calm yesterday at school and appeared calm and quiet at home.... he complained of a sore head and a sore stomach last night and today he has told me " i feel like a depressed weirdo" we have agreed to try it for another ten days to see how it goes... anyone any experience on this!

Never heard of it, was you given any information on the medicine, and what likely the side effects are, I stayed away from straterra for reasons of depression and possible suicide issues, if he remains depressed after a week I would look at a review, if he hasnt been depressed before this medicine I would be concerned if it lasted more than a week.

Did you get a score or change sheet, to describe any changes, and to monitor progress as there does seem to be some their and any negatives, ie the depressed feeling.

JsMum

Never heard of it, was you given any information on the medicine, and what likely the side effects are, I stayed away from straterra for reasons of depression and possible suicide issues, if he remains depressed after a week I would look at a review, if he hasnt been depressed before this medicine I would be concerned if it lasted more than a week.

Did you get a score or change sheet, to describe any changes, and to monitor progress as there does seem to be some their and any negatives, ie the depressed feeling.

JsMum

Just got the little leaflet that came with the tablets.....the doctor who prescribed at the family and health clinic talked over the main side effects which were loss of appitete and lack of sleep which dont seem to be happening... im gona monitor him closely over the next week then decide what to do!

We use it for my Ds if seems to help but it makes his autism more noticable as it isn't hidden under his ADHD. I'm not sure about it as he seems very volitile as it wears off. We have the review tomorrow and I'm honestly not sure how I feel about it

Is medkinet a stimulant, the volitile behaviour maybe where there is a dip in stimilant medication, when J was on Ritalin 4 times a day it was called rebound, they become worse when there is a drop in their medication, rebound for some can be worse than the actual ADHD symptoms and often J did become angry very quickly.

How many times a day does he have to take the medication, J went onto Concerta xl which is a constant level of stimulant medicine.

JsMum

Pmed you a link, but just in case it helps others, this medication can cause complications if you take other medicines, even cough and cold medicines, also I had a quick look at the side effects and depression and highs and lows are also listed.

JsMum

Thanks for you PM Ds is on the XL so it is a constant stream and lasts about 8 hours. Its just so hard as it is the end of the day when I'm exhauseted, meltdowns in the morning are so much easier but I now have a calm child AM and a hyper one PM where at least when he was hyper 24 hours a day I was just permantly exhausted but it was not such a shock to the system. :lol:

Isnt it a "slow release/ multiple release" drug that is same base as ritalin (methylpheidate?) Someone I know starting on it soon for ADHD, so imagine they also will be monitoring closely to see what side effects it has... will be interested to follow this thread for this reason.

Edited by westie

On third day of meds, no side effects from yesterday is in great form and is a hole lot calmer... will keep monitioring closely but dont tend to keep him on the long term... oh the one he is on is slow releasant! Contacted family and health clinic today to discuss other therapies which I didnt know where available that they should provide awaiting there return call with info will not hold my breath !!!

the person i mentioned was told today that their child would probably get headaches for first week.... they have to wait for results of blood tests top make sure in good health before starting the medication though, and apparently they will be monitored ~every 3 wks to check for weight loss amongst other things.

Have started my son on medkinet yesterday for adhd... was very calm yesterday at school and appeared calm and quiet at home.... he complained of a sore head and a sore stomach last night and today he has told me " i feel like a depressed weirdo" we have agreed to try it for another ten days to see how it goes... anyone any experience on this!

my daughter started medikinet yesterday, she was lovely. it was a great pleasure to be around her, she did complain of a headache that went to the front of her head when she bent forward, and the back of her head when she put her head back, but i gave her some parecetamol and she never said anything about pain for the rest of the day.

The only thing i did notice was that she talked constantly, about anything and everything, including how she feels and why she does certain stuff(like writing lists etc) which she would not normally speak about.

There was no fighting/arguing or impulsivness, she played out with neighbours children with out taking over or fighting, so first day was excellent, i hope it continues :thumbs: