Sign in to follow this  
JenRose

Heard back from CAMHS

Heard back from CAMHS today re our complaint at the way our parenting skills were said to be causing our daughters

reluctance to toilet train.

DD has hemiparesis and a private dx of PDD-NOS, CAMHS are "supposedly" assessing her for an ASD.

anyway

they are "sorry" that we felt downhearted at our last appointment and due to the issues raised the psych has "invited"

the Consultant psych to a meeting they would like us to attend.

Definate case of ###### covering me thinks.

now im not sure about attending this meeing because

a, We have never met this consultant psych before,nor has she met DD and i presume shes the original psychs boss

b, they will try and "spin" it that we misunderstood,communication error etc etc

c, Nothing has been said about them referring DD to an OT or that they are still assessing DD for ASD.

so im unsure of what to do really.

just wondering if anyone has some advice for me.

im sick of falling out with doctors and CAMHS and LEA,s over my children,thats all i ever seem to do-write complaint letters

about lack of service/bad treatment etc and im starting to think its me with the problem. :tearful:

I would request further information on why the meeting with consultant pysch is been arranged, ie purpose ect...

Also to clarify if there is still an assessment of ASD been carried out.

I would write another letter, sorry if it means more writing, but your not complaining, and at the end of the day if you are disatified with a service it is your right as a mother of your d, If you dont then in years to come if she ever did get dx then you will have wasted the time you could of sorted things out, this letter is just to get a more of a clarity.

Good Luck, and well done for writing a complaint letter.

JsMum.

Hi

I must confess to not havng a great deal of faith in CAMHS. CAMHS in my area are skilled at twisting things and pointing the finger and not much else. To be frank, I think they're in a position to be able to help, but in fact, do a great deal of harm (by not addressing the real issues).

Try and hope for the best. This may be an opportunity, because someone new is involved, to constructively go over your complaint and move on with someone fresh. At the end of the day, it's not about blame, it's about assessing your child's needs and addressing them.

Best wishes.

Caroline

Edited by cmuir

thanks cmuir and js mum.

i too dont have much faith in CAMHS not especially after they messed up DS,s dx 3 years ago, we got there in the end but only after

much pressure from us and a refusal to attend a parenting course telling them that when they run a course for parents of children with an

asd we would attend.

i have drafted a letter asking for clarification of whether they have or are about to refer DD to an OT for help with her

sensory difficulties and if she is still being assessed for an ASD as we have been led to believe.

i dont understand why a senior psych is now involved, we have certainly never met her nor has she met DD.

perhaps this psych we saw first (who is very young an hasnt been there long) needs someone to hold her hand.

i have said that when we received clarification on these matters then we will be in a position to arrange a mutually convenient date/time

to meet.

cant beleive they are doing this to ANOTHER one of my children after all the mayhem last time.

it really makes me want to :wallbash:

Just wanted to add good on you for complaining, don't feel its you're fault, i used to say nothing now if Im not happy with the service I complain in the hope it will help the next person coming along... my funniest story was when I brought my youngest son to our nearest shoe shop... what a nightmare he lies down outside the shop, has to be restrained for shoe measuring and fitting, and always trys to escape when im paying, Usually I just ignore the glances but this time it was from 4 members of staff as they tutted and glared at us, I went straight home and got on the phone to there head office, they are the only shoe shop within 80 miles that offers a shoe measuring service for children, so they should be in tune with special needs children, I got a letter of apology a �50 voucher and they now have posters on there window letting people know they have specialy trained people to deal with all special needs children you just make them aware of you're arrival at the till! Results.... xxxx

I too come from the "squeaky wheel gets the grease" line of thinking. Don't feel like you are the one with the problem. If it weren't for me writing letters and complaining about the fob off I was getting with local services I would probably be sitting in another parenting class as we speak trying to explain that time outs and ignoring does not work with my child. My DD is currently under assessment for ASD at CAMHS. I am not really sure what is going on and keep being told that the assessment should be done in August whatever that means. Anyway, sorry not much advise but I say you are doing the right thing and the problem most definitely is not being caused by you! Keep on top of them and I hope that it gets sorted out for you, Skye

Heard back from CAMHS today re our complaint at the way our parenting skills were said to be causing our daughters

reluctance to toilet train.

DD has hemiparesis and a private dx of PDD-NOS, CAMHS are "supposedly" assessing her for an ASD.

anyway

they are "sorry" that we felt downhearted at our last appointment and due to the issues raised the psych has "invited"

the Consultant psych to a meeting they would like us to attend.

Definate case of ###### covering me thinks.

now im not sure about attending this meeing because

a, We have never met this consultant psych before,nor has she met DD and i presume shes the original psychs boss

b, they will try and "spin" it that we misunderstood,communication error etc etc

c, Nothing has been said about them referring DD to an OT or that they are still assessing DD for ASD.

so im unsure of what to do really.

just wondering if anyone has some advice for me.

im sick of falling out with doctors and CAMHS and LEA,s over my children,thats all i ever seem to do-write complaint letters

about lack of service/bad treatment etc and im starting to think its me with the problem. :tearful:

Hi.I am only guessing based on my understanding of the complaints procedure in my area.

It may be that the complaint is being dealt with in line with the procedure.The procedure may well state that as the complaint could be considered a written complaint re the psychologist it should be handled by the line manager...which may well be the consultant.It might be worth asking for a copy of the complaints procedure to see if this is the case.

It might also be worth contacting PALS to ask for support.

If you do not wish to persue a formal complaint but want to meet to discuss your concerns it might be worth writing to clarify the situation.Karen.

ah didnt think of it like that.

ive no wish to do a formal complaint,we just want her referring to an OT and to get confirmation that she is still being assessed for an ASD

as we were led to believe,we do want an explanation though as to why they have ignored her sensory difficulties and focused on our parenting

skills,but then i guess thats CAMHS for you!!!

hi it sounds exactly wat we hav just been through we put in a formal complaint about reeces care or lack of it and went to a meeting then they now cant do enough sent us to a phsychiatrist 2 weeks after the complaint we had been fighting to see one 4 six yrs they said they hadnt got one who cud see him and she diagnosed him with and asd the day she saw him!!!!!

so good on u xxxxxxxx and good luck

love donnaxxxxx

thats really good,well done you dooday for taking it all the way!!!

this is what i dont understand,

we had EXACTLY the same situation/scenario with DS, put in a complaint,asked for the video of the ADOS/notes

hey presto he gets diagnosed.

so why are they doing the same with DD?

shes already had a CDC assessment which said triad of impairment there and shes been privately dx,d as well.

its almost as if they are testing us,and this psych who we have complained about is fresh out of uni and only

just qualified,shes very young and not experienced enough.

the mind boggles!!!