Sign in to follow this  
bid

Kitchen Madness!

I am in the middle of decorating the kitchen.

Scary 80s peach vinyl wallpaper successfully stripped, walls scrubbed with Mr Muscle.

BUT...just applied second coat of white kitchen and bathroom emulsion. I have sucessfully used the same paint in the girlies' room after stripping vinyl wallpaper...but I can see faint brown lines through the paint which I think are in the position of the joins from the old wallpaper.

The walls really need replastering, so this is just a cheap facelift as we can't replace the kitchen for a good 5 years or so. If a third coat of paint will hide the lines, I'll do it, but am loathe to go through expense and time if they will still be there...I'll just ignore 'em!

Any ideas anyone??

Boho :dance:

Will attempt to post piccies when finished, as am going for fabby, kitsch 50s retro look and have treated self kitchen to some bunting made from cup cake material!! :clap::bounce:

Edited by bid

Any ideas anyone??

Tippex? :whistle:

Furniture in front of stripes?

Paint the stripes in as a pattern?

Paint the whole room brown? :o

Pictures hung over the stripes?

Hang stripy socks over the stripes? :lol:

Get family members to stand in front of stripes. Permanently.

Ooh, make each stripe into a personal height/shrinkage chart for each family member :bounce::lol:

Call Mr Llewellyn for tips?

MDF. I don't know how or where, but I know they use lots of it on home makeover shows!! :lol: :lol:

Wallpaper the whole lot to cover up the stripes? - I hear peach vinyl is quite 'in' :devil:

Ignore them and insist that anyone who comments must be 'seeing things' and send them off for an eye-test B)

Travel back in time and don't take off the wallpaper so you don't get stains at all... :whistle:

Move house? :unsure:

Oooh how energetic (for someone your age :whistle: ) I think there is some kind of undercoat to cover 'stains' by those people who do what it says on the tin. I'd have a go at that before getting your plumbline out.

Oooh how energetic (for someone your age :whistle: ) I think there is some kind of undercoat to cover 'stains' by those people who do what it says on the tin. I'd have a go at that before getting your plumbline out.

Mmmmm... a cunning plan, Jaded! And I have some in the cupboard under the stairs! ;)

Tippex? :whistle:

Furniture in front of stripes?

Paint the stripes in as a pattern?

Paint the whole room brown? :o

Pictures hung over the stripes?

Hang stripy socks over the stripes? :lol:

Get family members to stand in front of stripes. Permanently.

Ooh, make each stripe into a personal height/shrinkage chart for each family member :bounce::lol:

Call Mr Llewellyn for tips?

MDF. I don't know how or where, but I know they use lots of it on home makeover shows!! :lol: :lol:

Wallpaper the whole lot to cover up the stripes? - I hear peach vinyl is quite 'in' :devil:

Ignore them and insist that anyone who comments must be 'seeing things' and send them off for an eye-test B)

Travel back in time and don't take off the wallpaper so you don't get stains at all... :whistle:

Move house? :unsure:

LOL! This had me in stitches! I must remember to consult Mumble next time I am in a jam, some great ideas! Otherwise sorry I am a decorating nightmare. Just do the exact opposite of what I usual do and you will be ok! Sorry, Skye

paint over the lines with oil based white undercoat- once dry, repaint with emulsion, may need 1 or 2 coats. advice from my other half who is a painter and decorator

s

xxx

Looks as though Jaded and Sallya :notworthy: are both right, as stain block paint is oil based, and so far it looks as though it's working! :thumbs:

Also, another cunning tip with this stain block stuff...in a moment of insanity I decided to paint all the peach and brown floral tiles (to shoulder height all round the room :ph34r: ). So far the primer has gone on OK, except in a few places near the sealant at the join with the work-top where it won't 'sit' on the tile surface (sealant residue??). Anyway, painted on thin layer of stain block and it's covered! :thumbs:

now you see I think the painting the stripes into a pattern would've been much more fun!!!

Some wonderfully helpful idea's....mumble I will recomend you to friends for painting home interior idea's xx

you have all made me :lol: today...many thanks x

OMG OMG I'm gonna go to Aspie Hell!! :o:crying:

I've just put the second top coat on the tiles, but...I (neatly) left the tiles that half go behind the radiator because they were so fiddley to do with the first top coat!! :shame::shame:

Will I be able to live with it??

Boho :wacko::hypno: