NobbyNobbs

lactose free that doesn't taste odd

can anyone give me some advice on lactose free foods (cream, milk, yogurt) that don't taste strange.

i can't get the hang of soya milk. to me it tastes like someones mixed flour and water together. i will just about tolerate a soya yogurt, but only on a good day. admittedly i've only tried the brand beginning with Al. are there better out there or am i doomed to not being able to eat puddings?

i made fajitas last night and had some soured cream in it (the only way to have them), but the following digestive pyrotechnics have renewed my mission to sort out better alternatives.

can anyone give me some advice on lactose free foods (cream, milk, yogurt) that don't taste strange.

i can't get the hang of soya milk. to me it tastes like someones mixed flour and water together. i will just about tolerate a soya yogurt, but only on a good day. admittedly i've only tried the brand beginning with Al. are there better out there or am i doomed to not being able to eat puddings?

i made fajitas last night and had some soured cream in it (the only way to have them), but the following digestive pyrotechnics have renewed my mission to sort out better alternatives.

I don't think it's that the soya products taste 'strange' they just taste 'different'. Had you been bought up from a child on soya milk cows milk would taste 'strange' :lol:

Unfortunately, there's the rub - you're not gonna find a soya milk that doesn't taste like soya milk, or a soya yog that doesn't taste like a soya yog :( So it does come down to either accepting the difference in taste or not having yogs/milk etc.

Have you tried non soya alternatives - rice milk/elmlea (veg based) cream? For milk, it might be you're lactose intolerant and could get away with the lactose free milk they now market (rather than having a problem with casein, which is what is implicated for many who follow gluten casein free diets for autism)...

Soya milks do vary from brand to brand, and some are absolutely awful (no names). After trying all sorts my son's preference is for Tesco's own brand, sweetened variety (bluebox - fresh and longlife varieties) or their organic version which tastes exactly the same! If you want it for adding to tea, best buy some unsweetened too, as most use apple juice or fructose for sweetening which 'turns' in hot tea and looks awful.

Creams, other than the one mentioned - I only know a couple: Soya dream for single, and theres a carton one on the freefrom section for double that tastes a bit like dream topping something swedish sounding but Ican'tremember the name and i threw the box away yesterday after making profiteroles!

Hope that helps.

L&P

BD :D

My two who have a genuine allergy to dairy like the Tesco own sweetened soya (has added calcium) too.

They have never liked the unsweetened soya milk. The stuff they do like is sweetened with apple juice, so pretty healthy I think.

They have never had cow's milk but have always been happy with the sweetened soya mik, so I presume the unsweetened soya must be quite a difficult taste to acquire?

Bid :)

Edited by bid

i'm gonna have to get some of the tesco stuff, i've never tried it and evidently thats the way to go!

so glad i dont have any serious allergies, the only one that gives me major issues is coconut which triggers big asthma attacks.

We moved quite quickly from like-for-like substitutes, finding it better to go for a new taste rather than try to perfect an old favourite. DS likes rice milk for some bizarre reason and I take tea and coffee 'black' rather than try to get a DF version that's acceptable.

We have a heavy use of chocolate to disguise the under-lying flavour, even though as a family we don't have the choklit gene. Honey is also good at masking it and unusual flavours such as pomegranate and red berries generally for the anti-oxidant qualities.

For savoury, home-made just tastes so much better anyway that you don't have to try too hard if you don't try to do pizza in any way shape or form until you've forgotten what the original tastes like. Ditto for any kind of DF cheese.

Do try different brands of soya milk because they vary greatly , personally I do not like fresh ones or "so fresh" as for yoghurts did you try to ones not in fridge dept but the vanilla custard Alpro soy who also do chocoalate and caramel flavours. Other alternatives to soya milk is either rice, almond or oat milk.

Toffutti is a cream cheese substitute with different flavours such as chives and garlic, Redwood food do cheezly whish is a cheese substitute which also melts and is lovely in toasties and on pizza. I know you can get milk that is lactose free and is not soya but as a vegan I wont advocate it :-)

we recently changed supermarkets, and i've discovered lactose free cheese, cream cheese and milk (actually i knew about the milk aready, but had only had it once) all of them taste like the normal stuff, which is great! i'm happily munching my way through cream cheese sandwiches for lunch each day

I was dairy free when breastfeeding my youngest child for a year. I detest soya milk and related products with a vengence! I used rice milk in general cooking, tastes quite sweet and lovely on cereal. Tolerable in coffee, drank tea black with lemon. I make the boys puddings with rice milk just use less milk than the recipe and it works well. I discovered a brand of oat milk in small cartons at health food shops and some big supermarkets which was advertised as a cream substitute and this works well in place of single cream or normal milk if you want a creamier pudding. Used pure sunflower margarine which was the best tasting non dairy marg I could find.

Never found anything palatable to replace yogurts. My boys used to have Rice and Rice desserts that were rice milk based, not easy to find but available on line and in big health food shops. Never looked that appetising but they ate them!

Lx

I absolutely hate Soya milk but decided to try goats milk and that has worked out fine so far :pray:

Goat milk is not lactose free, but the casein protein is much closer to human so it more easily digested, apparently. Certainly we use it for C, even though Sunderland didn't register a casein problem.

It's important to note the difference:

lactose intolerance will probably make you feel bloated or gassy, and the effects will usually be felt sometime after drinking milk or milk products. Intolerances are a nuisance but are not dangerous, and you could probably tolerate small amounts of milk with no problems (depends on how much of the enzyme that breaks down the lactose your body is producing).

Milk (casein) allergy won't do the above - but is the protein which *might* be linked with the Sunderland Brian Blood Barrier/Leaky Gut theory (alongside gluten, of course). Allergies can be serious (such as nut allergies, obviously) so much more care is needed to avoid these products if you are allergic.

Phil

You are right it tastes like that.....the only thing that if you use custarrd powder /made without milk/ and you make it yourself in the micro adding sugar and vanilla sugar to it I do not feel the difference that it was made with soya milk.

If you add chocolate or coco powder you have then choclote pudding made with custard powder ,soyamilk,sugar,vanilla sugar + coco.

That is all I can say.

Best Edith

we recently changed supermarkets, and i've discovered lactose free cheese, cream cheese and milk (actually i knew about the milk aready, but had only had it once) all of them taste like the normal stuff, which is great! i'm happily munching my way through cream cheese sandwiches for lunch each day

Lactose free yes but isn`t it kasein that causes the problem??

Please answer

Edith

It is casein which is thought to cause a problem in autism. I think NobbyNobbs has a separate problem with lactose.

Lactose free yes but isn`t it kasein that causes the problem??

Please answer

Edith

Lactose is milk sugar, casein is milk protein. You can be intolerant to either (wind, bloating, diarrhoea, weight loss) and in fact a lot of time esp in children it is actually a milk protein not milk sugar intolerance. As you get older though the amount of the enzyme that digests lactose in your bowel decreases (because humans are not designed to have as much milk as they have beyond childhood) so you can acquire a lactose intolerance. Some ethnic groups are more predisposed to that.

On top of this you can have a true milk allergy where you get a full blown allergic reaction to milk products - rash, swollen lips, difficulty breathing etc.

In autism as far as the leaky gut Sunderland theory goes it is milk protein (casein) that is supposed to be one of the culprits

Lx

Hello

Provamel used to do a vanilla flavoured rice milk that tasted good but they've changed the packaging again!

If you are gluten free as well as milk free DONT go for rice dream as that contains barley proteins.

Alexis

Hi, I am hoping to start the GF/CF diet next week. My son (4 1/2) is very addicted to milk, so getting him to give it up will be tricky. Can anyone recommend good milk substitutes? Any advice for getting him to switch over smoothly? I have ordered a book, but it won't arrive for 10-12 days!

Shopping with two small boys doesn't allow me much time to read labels! I have heard of DariFree but it sounds as if it's only avialable online?

Thanks,

Theresa

We use rice milk - DS loves it, I think it's disgusting.

You could have a browse in your health food shop. There's a hazelnut milk that's nice. If you think it's going to be a problem switching you could blend a small amount of the new drink in with the old and do a gradual switch. We just did 'cold turkey' and lived with it for a few days. Fairly painful, but swift.

Edited by call me jaded

My two youngest have a true allergy to dairy, and they have drunk Tesco sweetened (with apple juice) soya milk since they were weaned. It contains calcium, and it's important that you either give a milk substitute containing added calcium or you give additional calcium supplement (e.g. Calcium Sandos syrup).

They are both seen regularly by a dietician, and everything has always been fine as far as their diet goes, and the hospital are happy with the soya milk we use so I think it must be nutritionally OK.

Edited by bid

Thanks for the tips. I went to the health food shop today, and they were out of the hazelnut milk! My youngest liked the rice milk. I tried putting a bit in my oldest son's milk, but he said it was too sweet! I'll have to find a plainer one for him. will try the soya milk next time I go to the shop.

thanks again...

Theresa

I'd agree Tesco's own brand soya in the blue cartons (they do 'fridged' and a longlife carton version) is really good. The two leading 'name' brands are, IMO (and my son's who drinks the stuff) nowhere near as good - one of them to my palette is undrinkable, with such a strong vanilla flavour it tastes more like custard!

Word of warning - if your littlie likes tea or coffee you'll need to rethink. The apple sweetener 'curdles' in hot drinks and floats to the top. Dunno if the unsweetened version works in hot, but ben takes his tea with lemon juice (very posh!). Alternatively you can add a little cold to cool it to below curdling point, but this can be bluddy annoying when you 'miss' by a couple of degrees!

L&P

BD :D

Word of warning - if your littlie likes tea or coffee you'll need to rethink. The apple sweetener 'curdles' in hot drinks and floats to the top. Dunno if the unsweetened version works in hot, but ben takes his tea with lemon juice (very posh!). Alternatively you can add a little cold to cool it to below curdling point, but this can be bluddy annoying when you 'miss' by a couple of degrees!

Never noticed this happening.

We don't do soya much - it's third on the list of allergens after gluten and dairy. Use it occasionally as a cream substitute and for custard

DS is super-sensitive and added calcium can be a no-go for us depnding what it's derived from. We eat stacks of brocolli instead.

We eat stacks of brocolli instead.

That's great news ... my eldest hasn't taken to the soya milk yet but he does love broccoli. I will give Tesco brand a try as well.

Sorry, I'm new and don't know what the GF/CF diet is (doh, probably really obvious!) but my youngest had a lactose intolerance and we used lactofree milk which has been treated to break down the lactose and so he was able to tolerate it.

They also produce yoghurts now.

Don't know if it is lactose you are avoiding though so may be no use at all!

Becky

Hi

There is also goats milk,which my mother who is allergic to everything,enjoys alot.Dont think I would try it myself though.

Hi

There is also goats milk,which my mother who is allergic to everything,enjoys alot.Dont think I would try it myself though.

I'll add another vote for goat's milk.

I've posted this before, but it's worth saying again: When I spoke to Prof Shattock at Sunderland he told me he has a "toxic" scale for milk! Human milk is toxic scale 0 (obviously!), cow's milk is 20, but he put goat's milk at 1 - so it's almost as "normal" as human milk.

We put C on it a couple of years ago and haven't looked back. Don't worry that it might taste odd (unless you are very sensitive), it tastes completely fine and I would have no reservations about using it all the time if it wasn't so expensive.

One more thing: don't confuse lactose intolerance with dairy/casein allergy - they are very different, and goat's milk will not help with lactose intolerance.

Phil

One more thing: don't confuse lactose intolerance with dairy/casein allergy - they are very different, and goat's milk will not help with lactose intolerance.

I was unsure about that which is why I didn't recommend goat's milk, however I drink goat's milk, eat goat's cheese etc and now I actually prefer it to cow's milk. I'm quite sensitive to differences in taste but goat's milk doesn't taste odd to me at all and it's fine wherever I would have used cow's milk including in hot drinks, on cereal etc. The only problem I have as a single person who doesn't get through much milk and am very fussy about having fresh milk is that it only comes in big containers rather than the little pint bottles cow's milk comes in.

I find the best tasting soya is Alpro light which has no added sweetner at all. Then I would add cocoa to it, or nesquick and it tastes better than any of the other alternatives.

We've recently changed from cows milk to goats milk and seem to be doing much better on that.

But to begin with I'd advise you don't buy in alot of anything until you know what they like. Otherwise it can be quite expensive.

I switched to soya milk from cows milk years ago and I felt much better for it. I only use milk in tea anyway rather than drinking it on its own. Soya milk also curdles in coffee, but is somehow fine with tea. You have to experiment with the brands as they all seem to taste different. I only use either Sainsburys, Waitrose or Holland & Barrett's own make. Anything with added flavours is just weird in tea.

Nowadays when I have to drink tea with cows milk when out, it tastes disgusting to me. Cows milk seems a bit more palatable if heated first and put in coffee.

If I wanted to drink milk on its own (rare) I'd probably choose chilled almond milk.

i prefer Provamel rice milk and despite what others here say highly advise against using animal milks as subs.

Some of us also react to soy milk. i find benzoates i react to whether they be in my diet or on my skin.

Alexis

My twin daughters like Alpro Soya (sweetened) and I do buy the cheeper longlife versions too which they like as much on cereals etc. Only one of the girls will drink it as a drink, the other one likes the chocolate flavour one but will not drink the plain one on it's own.. I think they are vile but they are used to it due to being off cows milk since they were 2

My twin daughters like Alpro Soya (sweetened) and I do buy the cheeper longlife versions too which they like as much on cereals etc. Only one of the girls will drink it as a drink, the other one likes the chocolate flavour one but will not drink the plain one on it's own.. I think they are vile but they are used to it due to being off cows milk since they were 2

i remember phoning them up and asking the question "are your products gluten free or not". i kept getting back the same answer "yes to celiac standards" but i didnt ask about celiac standards (i think i attempted to explain it to them at the time). After a couple of attempts of getting a straight answer to a straight question, they sent me a letter full of typos. i havent purchased anything from them since.

i've had considerable stomach problems for a while now and am under a gastro consultant at my local hospital to try and work out what on earth is going on. (my stomach bloats to treble its normal size, goes absolutely solid, pushes into my lungs so i can't breathe and causes a lot of pain as well as burping literally every second because it appears to be filled with air. this them causes my stomach to 'hiccup' which is a very bizarre and painful sensation. it does this nearly every day at some point)

there are a number of things that could be causing the problems, complicated by potential complications from surgery as a baby and i'm having a ton of tests done including biopsies, blood tests, gastroscopy... but he also said i should consider whether i have an intolerance that could be causing it. i was diagnosed lactose intolerant as a baby, but after about 4 months my mother decided to move me off soya formula onto normal (cows) milk and didn't notice any adverse effects. i can't drink milk or eat cream as both cause major reflux, but am ok with cheese and milk in sauces etc. i mentioned that i might have a problem with casein because that is common in people with ASD, but the consultant didn't comment either way.

so what i want to know is if there is any difference to going casein free rather than lactose free or both at the same time? will i need to avoid aditional foods? is there any way to know whether its casein or lactose (or neither!) as they're both in the same foods. are there tests that can be done? i'm going to my GP to ask but find its better if i have the knowledge of options first to know that what i'm being offered is the best/correct option.

Hi,

My daughter was on a milk-free diet (lactose intolerant) when she was a baby so I suppose she didn't take either form - from what I remember lactose was the milk sugar whereas casein was the protein. Lactose interolerance was far more common than Casein interolerance but that's about all I recall. I'm sure there must be loads of info on the net about this kind of thing and would assume someone will come along soon with some good advice for you.

We're seeing the gastroenterologist next month as they think my daughter may have gastric motility problems as she's always suffered with reflux, constipation, nausea, sulphur burps and stomach pain/swelling issues.

Take care,

Jb x

Edited by jb1964

Jb is right, lactose is a sugar whereas casein is a protein. They are both in all milk and dairy products. You can now get some lactose free dairly products which still contain casein.

Many adults cease to produce lactase, which is an enzyme which digests lactose. Most adults are unable to digest lactose, but many Northern Europeans are the exception to this.

There are tests offered by the University of Sunderland which may diagnose the issues with gluten and casein which are thought to be common in autism, but you may have to pay for them yourself.

Ultimately, the only way to diagnose a food intolerance is to avoid that food and see of the symptoms ease, and then reintroduce the food to see if the symptoms start again. You could experiment with reintroducing dairy products on two separate occasions - trying both ordinary dairy products and the lactose free dairy products.

Tally is certainly correct, but to add more info:

With lactose, it is an intolerance. With casein it is an allergy.

With lactose, the lack of lactase in the body means that the lactose (sugar) does not get broken down properly into glucose (which is the only sugar the body can actually absorb) and, therefore, it ferments. This, in essence, means it starts producing lots of gas, which is why lactose intolerance usually causes lots of wind (from both ends!) as well as that uncomfortable (or even painful) bloated feeling.

WIth casein, it is the body reacting against the protein, as in many allergies. THis can lead to things like rashes or hives or any of the other common allergic reactions such as stuffiness, excess mucus etc. In extreme reactions (though I think it is extremely rare with casein allergy) it can cause anaphylactic shock (more common with things like nut allergies).

So, in essence, as Tally says - try cutting things out! There are many lactose free dairy products now - if you can use these without the same reaction, then it points to lactose.

To test for casein allergy, try switching to goat milk products. The casein protein in goat is very, very similar to that of the human milk protein, whereas the milk protein in cows milk is massively different (Dr Shattock at Sunderland gives it a toxicity scale: human milk, 0 toxicity; goat milk, 1 toxicity; cow milk 20 toxicity!).

Hope that helps.

Phil

Hello

Casein is a protein found in milk and makes many autistics hyper and appear like they are on drugs. Some of them go very quiet and withdrawn, i tend to get more likely to interrupt a conversation as my short term memory is terrible. Any form of milk can cause severe brain fog which confuses me to the point of going to the supermarket with 6 items in my head and being lucky to come away with 1!

Lactose is a milk sugar, many autistics need to be completely milk free (80% according to Donna Williams). So lactose free milk for example would suit someone without a casein addiction

Alexis