NobbyNobbs

lactose free that doesn't taste odd

They may have been about for ages, but we saw, for the first time today, a white chocolate version of the freefrom chocolate buttons they sell in tesco's and sainsburys....

Not quite 'milky bar' standard (Ness-els, by the way - none of this ridiculous ridiculous ness-lay stuff... and while we're on the subject: Boodicca - wotts that all about ??), but very naice all the same. :thumbs:

L&P

BD :D

i would say in a way it does as you are addicted to the dairy.

My son, who has AS, stopped being tired and floppy when we switched to goats' milk because we thought cows' milk might be triggering an allergy. He didn't stop sniffling, but it had a dramatic effect on his energy levels. I then found out that one of the types of casein in cows' milk is suspected of having an opiod effect.

cb

"Quiet and unhappy" are not symptoms of autism, so if dairy is triggering anything, it can't be your autism. Many people with autism do seem to have an issue with dairy. It might be worth seeing what happens if you avoid dairy for a while, but it is a good idea to speak to your doctor about it to help make sure you get enough of the right nutrients.

I wanted to say what I said. I did not say that there was gluten in dairy. You said there was not. Go figure. :whistle:

Edited by fieldmouse

I wanted to say what I said. I did not say that there was gluten in dairy. You said there was not. Go figure. :whistle:

I,m sure it was unintended but your post is coming across a bit abrupt ,

Have to agree with Jaded here ,I have always believe it made autistic behaviours more obvious.

I,m sure it was unintended but your post is coming across a bit abrupt ,

I say what I mean and I mean what I say.

I say what I mean and I mean what I say.

In that case, how can gluten, a chemical minding its own business, be 'evil'? :unsure:

The opening post was about dairy - can we stick to that please?

Feel free to have your say about gluten in a new topic, fieldmouse. :)

K x

The opening post was about dairy - can we stick to that please?

Feel free to have your say about gluten in a new topic, fieldmouse. :)

K x

Gluten is bad for me, that is what I was saying. Now you can all talk about yogurt and cheese...

Mmmmmmm cheese. My guilty pleasure.

I do like CHEESE too. Sometimes I just buy BRIE and eat it all in one go. I also like ROULE. What is your favorite cheese "callmejaded"?

My son, who has AS, stopped being tired and floppy when we switched to goats' milk because we thought cows' milk might be triggering an allergy. He didn't stop sniffling, but it had a dramatic effect on his energy levels. I then found out that one of the types of casein in cows' milk is suspected of having an opiod effect.

cb

It's in all animal milk that has the opiod affect.

In that case, how can gluten, a chemical minding its own business, be 'evil'? :unsure:

Cos it changes to opiates in susceptible individuals.

Not ASD related, but I know lots on the spectrum are dairy free so thought there might be some wise people around able to give some advice.

I found an older thread with some ideas, but wondered if things had developed more since then. :unsure:

I'm not allergic to milk, just slightly intolerant, but I need to take my morning meds with a glass of milk. It can be flavoured if necessary. The nurse today suggested I try some alternatives and see if I can find one that I both like and that doesn't cause problems. It might not even need to be totally dairy free just not as dairy-ish as cow's milk, so I'm going to give goaty milk a try as I like that but thought I should also try some others. I was passing a health food shop on the way home today so got two individual flavoured soya milk cartons to try. They also had something called rice milk but that sounded odd and was only in big boxes so I gave that a miss.

What do others use/suggest?

Soya milk is definitely an acquired taste. Do not expect it to taste anything like cow's milk. It's quite nice with Nesquik in though! Some brands taste a bit different to others, so if you don't like the first one don't be put off it straight away. Also the sweetened ones are much nicer.

Rice milk is OK too. Kind of tastes a bit ricey, believe it or not!

There is also oat milk. You'll never guess what that tastes like.

There is a new dairy free milk made by a company called Kara. It's got coconut milk in, but doesn't taste at all like coconut. It's my new favourite, and also doesn't curdle in hot drinks like soya milk does.

Some people with cow milk problems find Jersey milk is much better as the proteins are slightly different (as is the case with sheep and goat milk). If your problem is with lactose, you may still find yoghurt and cheese are OK, as lactose is used up in the making of them. You can even get lactose free milk and other dairy products which might work.

If your problem is with lactose, you may still find yoghurt and cheese are OK, as lactose is used up in the making of them. You can even get lactose free milk and other dairy products which might work.

Yep, think that's what they said :unsure: - far too much info to take in today!

I shall try both your suggestions - I used to love Nesquick as a kid, didn't know you could still get it. And there was one that was liquid in a glass bottle that was raspberry flavoured - can you still get that?

It's not a major problem, just something I have to be a little careful of as this would be the first foodstuff in my stomach in the morning so it'll be a bit more twitchy. I shall do some experimentation! :eat:

Yes, you can still get the stuff in the glass bottles. I can't remember what it's called either even though I stack it :rolleyes:

goats milk is very good as an alternative.Soya is a general alternative but tastes harsh to me.If soya affects your diet be very carefull of most commercial loaves.Because the price of bread flour has rocketed, many 'plastic loaf'bakers ,in brown and white ,have started mixing it with cheaper soya flour and not explaining it to customers.It was interesting to read about 'Jersy' milk, ten yrears ago I worked for Muller Dairys,(i can still smell the sweetly sick smell as I write about it).A few times going to work we had farmers throwing cow muck at us and protesting outside because Mr.Muller would'nt use english milk because the quality was so poor and the trace chemicals were above Mullers standards.Mt Muller prefers French milk.

The stuff in the bottles is Crusha - it's in plastic bottles now though :)

I suspect Mumble - and probably Tally - will remember that from this:

:lol:

Heehee - that's definately gone on the shopping list for tomorrow now!! :D

Had banana soya milk this morning - very very bananary, so I was wondering what taste they were covering up, but copable with, both taste and stomach-wise, so a good start. :thumbs:

thing to question is are you intolerant to the dairy or the lactose. There a few you can have .

Lactofree- so if you are lactose intolerance they just taken the lactose out of the milk so its more tolerable www.lactofree.co.uk

or there is soya milk you may prefer unsweetened goats milk and oatly.

i like the Provamel rice milk because it has a vanilla aftertaste :-)

Also the coconut water or milk brands in Holland and Barrett are very tasty although quite pricey.

If you can take with a cuppa then adding some rice milk to the tea gives it an interesting taste.

I used to drink milk straight from the cow with no problems as a starter to the post. The only reaction was why didn't the milk in bottles taste that good!

ive been born, breed and raised on gold top milk, never hurt me. in fact milk is as about as complete as a food as you,ll get. always go for whole milk or gold top for the best nutritional profile. skim and semi skim is just wrong.

As a kid I loved sterilized milk, it was in strange bottles with a metal lid... and I liked the top bit off the silver lid bottles (full milk)...

Then I got a bit older, like 8 or 9 and I hated it and could only drink any milk if I ate mints to take the taste away and force it down.

By my early teens I didn't really drink much milk from that time until I was about 22 - although I did try gold top once when out on the Yorkshire moors cuz I was on holiday with my parents and they forget milk for their drinks (they had a flask of hot water) and so we went to a farm and all they sold was gold top - I tried it and it was really nice - that was when I was about 14 or 15 I reckon...

These days I put up with it for breakfast (semi skimmed) and I have it in coffee... I have no urge to drink a glass of it without anything in it to make it not taste of milk (whatever type of milk it is).

I have no urge to drink a glass of it without anything in it to make it not taste of milk (whatever type of milk it is).

gold top milk and vanilla crusha for the win, seriously its like a mr whippy.

I know... :P

I've just never been that bothered about icecream.... I don't mind a couple of flavours of "real" icecream occasionally but then I tend to drop it off the cone so it's a waste of money...

And I don't like eating icecream in summer/when it's hot either cuz it just melts - they are better in winter.