Sign in to follow this  
bikemad

New School

Please keep this thread on track after the last one. :wacko:

The latest thing with my sons school is they have seated the bully who is meant to be kept away from ds on the same table as him n he is scared to go to school as he is opposite the kid who makes his life hell...this combined with everything else ive decided to pull him from the school and went to see a school with ds on Friday n this school has a child with the same probs with eating as ds n also has kids with adhd and aspergers n they have a refreshing approach n accept every child is different and cant be put into a mould. The school as a whole seems better run n has a far better way of dealing with bullying. He has a bunch of appointments over the next few weeks so we have defered the start date to March 23rd. My lad feels quite positive bout it n ultimatly made the final decision on the school as if he wasnt comfortable there or happy then id have home educated. The school he is moving too know ive tried them on the reference of another parent n that if it dont work then il be home edding ds n they are fine with it.

Hey,

It sounds like this new school is a lot better choice for your DS. No child should be scared to go to school and have to be put with someone who makes their life such a misery. I really wish him all the best in the new school and that things improve :)

SG

From what you have said about the new school it sounds as if your lad will do well to go there. Good luck with it all, I really hope this works out for him.

Thats what I thought why should he be scared to go to school.....he has been asking for almost a year n half to move but ive tried to not let him run away from problems but in the end there was no other option n he already seems more positive n looking forward to the new school so fingers crossed.

Hi hunni!

I really really hope that this makes life so much better for J.. The way the last school has behaved is disgraceful! Hopefully with a happier and more settled him it will make life easier for you too with less worry etc..

Suzi

Hope your son is happier at his new school and the 23rd march will fly by now its getting lighter nights and the spring is taking fairy steps, I did the same for J in year 4, we had moved to a new area at the time and the school promised us the earth, only to let us down, I decided to move him to a more family atmospheric school with better SEN set ups, he did go with a statement, but I didnt trust the other school to impliment it so decided to still move J.

It turned out though that though his new school was a good choice and a nicer school it still didnt meet Js needs, especially in secondary education which he tranferred to a special school later in year 7.

Id be very cafeul how much you share about Home ed, as they may not support your son in hope you do home ed, as its another sen child out of the loop, I totally understand why people do home educate but if schools/leas give a poor education in hope they wont have to fund sen children then it will mean the schools/lea will bully sen kids out of the system.

Ive learnt to be very cautious when transferring schools, so take it easy, and dont let it put you off education altegether if it doesnt turn out positive the second time round.

I do wish your son the best though and hope this chance lets him be happy whilst learning and interacting at school.

JsMum

Edited by JsMum

Yeah tbh I thought that so ive not mentioned it much lol, and thanks for the input too, it is the 1st time il have changed schools for him n im just hoping it works out!!!! :unsure:

Yeah tbh I thought that so ive not mentioned it much lol, and thanks for the input too, it is the 1st time il have changed schools for him n im just hoping it works out!!!! :unsure:

Understand he cant stay where he is, and if it feels right from the gut to move him to this other new school then do it, if doesnt work out it doesnt work out, it doesnt mean you cant do it because your afraid it might not work, and if it does work out then thats great for your son.

JsMum

xxxx

Edited by JsMum

I think this is the only way to go, and will be thinking of you and watching for your posts, and hoping it stays on track! when you post on here desparate for support you can do without it!!! Enid

Here's to a positive new start, if nothing else its got to be better than his old school.

Good luck to you both .

Clare x x x x

Does anyone know how much notice ive got to give the current school and also what do I tell them do I have to tel them why im moving J or just that he is moving on xyz date? Rung the new school today n the secretary said ive got to give current school plenty of notice incase they want to try to rectify things but I didnt want to give too much notice incase they go funny with my son.

I assume that the place at the new school is 100% definite.

No you don't have to tell them why you are moving your son to a new school.

There is no need to give his existing school any notice at all but his new school will want to contact the old school in order to get as much information as possible before he starts.

The records will probably not be sent until after he stares.

When my son changed school due to us moving the new school emailed and phoned the old school before we had had a chance to tell old school our moving date.(They did know we were moving).

Good luck, hope it works out OK.

Edited by chris54

I actually removed J from his school before finding another suitable school, I told the LEAl I had removed him because his school was failing to meet his Sen and that after a failed reconsiliation meeting that actually went really bad I decided I couldnt go on any further with the school and so removed him and I was going to home educate him, but I knew I would struggle on my own and with his level of needs, after a meeting with the social worker she actually identified the small family atmospheric school, he started after two weeks and IEP implimented, he got his statement to name part 4 for the new school and we got transport on exceptional cercumstances rule.

As social worker and educational welfare department and LEA where involved they where able to tell the old school on my behalf as I didnt want any further contact or involvment with old school.

I would just start to put plans into preparing him for the transition and get the new school to prepare for his admittion as its really the new school that needs to be doing the preparing, though they may want the presant school to be aware of his transition so they can send his school records, if you contact the LEA and request a representative to do this on your behalf just request it, or the Educational Welfare Departement.

Whats important is that the transition goes well, as that will be the most important first few steps.

JsMum

Thanks J's mum....I rung the ed welfare officer the last time the bullying kicked off a few weeks back n she rung me today so told her everything(bet she wished she hadnt rung lol)and told her my plans etc and she agrees it is the best way to go n she gave her full backing n said if the school play up ring her n she will sort it...she also said I dont need to follow any protocol or owt just tell them he is leaving n let the new school call for the records etc.

What kind of things do you all suggest to prepare him so he settles relatively easily well as easily as he can lol. :wacko:

When I moved Ben I just withdrew him and home edded until a place came up at his current school (nearly 3 years ago now). I didn't give any notice at all!

I would talk to him, show him pics and stuff.. I know someone who was suggested that their child made a card for the new teacher, someone else who drew maps of classes and loos and things from having a couple of looks round, I also know someone who said that the school gave their child a "buddy" or the class email addy so that they could write messages and basically say hi, ask the questions they wanted to but in a really informal way..

Not sure if any of these would help or even be appropriate.. but thought I would share anyway! ;)

Thank Suzi...

There's a buddy system there n when he starts he will be buddied up with one of the buddies. I like the map idea I remember the layout enough to put loos, classes n the like on it. Im going to take him with me when I buy the new uniform so he gets input aswel.

What kind of things do you all suggest to prepare him so he settles relatively easily well as easily as he can lol.

If the school doesnt mind take a digital camera and take photos of his new school building, the classrooms he will use, the playground, and maybe a couple of the teachers if they can, A daily scedule, things he will need, displayed in visual planner, if they have a website, get him to go on it and have a look, some schools have games on them too.

Short periods at his new school so he can meet other children, on the website here, there is a website where they can make a pupils profile that has loads of information on what the childs likes and dislikes, its a great little booklet and could be good to give in to the school before he starts so they can get to know him. (if anyone knows of it please add the link, I think its cerebra. or similair.)

You could email the senco and share with her your sons needs and if there is anything they could look at preparing now, IEP and other similair special educational needs, there maybe a bullying project going and getting your son involved early will be good as he has been a victim of bullying.

A social story of what is going to happen, and why and when.

Make a count down calander, and have small treats in place if he can help organise his belongings, a new pencil, ect...

Ive ran out of ideas for now. anyone else feel free to add.

JsMunxxx