vicbee

FEAR OF CHOKING - DESPARATE TO HEAR FROM ANYONE IN SAME SITUATION

Hi everyone

Ive mentioned this problem in various posts but not actually requested advice about it. It is our main issue and probably the reason why my daughter was diagnosed so quickly with the ASD as her main problems are her extremely low weight due to a fear of choking. she developed this a few years ago after choking on a dorito crisp. things went down hill rapidly but for the past 8 or 9 months she eats nothing solid. She eats only soup, ready brek and yoghurt. We are under the dietician who tried for 3 months to set targets to try new foods but it didnt work (i could have told her at the start that it wouldnt and saved her the time and effort - but we had to try). She is taking enshake supplement drinks and calogen every day to boost her calorie intake and we are awaiting multi agency meeting with CaMHS and others on 9 March to discuss future plans and hand over from CAHMs in our old town to our new town. I have read a couple of books on problem eating on the autistic spectrum but nothing seems to relate to the problem my daughter has. This has completely taken over our lives. it goes without saying that we do not eat out, she has only just started eating soup at school - but a big transition took place to get her to eat in front of others, she confuses the feelings of hunger with anxiety (i can see why) and we are trying to get her to recognise the signs of hunger. she also has to be constantly told to drink. if i did not bribe and coerce her to eat and drink - she probably wouldnt. this is having such an impact on our lives - especially me as a single mum. she has taken to not wanting to go out anywhere as she is scared of feeling anxious. we have to make sure she has her lunch before we go out anywhere and that usually means her eating at sometime between 11am and noon so that she has something in her stomach before going out. last week when they were off school, i had lots of fun things planned to do - things she would normally love. she didnt want to go out of the house for fear of getting anxious. This is really getting me down because i feel like i am climbing the walls with cabin fever. I have become so isolated because of it and finding myself getting more and more depressed but trying desparately to fight it. I have explained all this to CAMHS last week but my team in my old town have their hands tied as they are handing over to the new team.

I am just wondering if anyone else has this problem and can you tell me what sort of therapy is likely to be given in these circumstances and might there be a chance that she could get over this - i know it will take a long time and she might never get over it completely. I must say that she has eaten 'normally' over the years - very fussy but has eaten meat bread solids etc before and actually says she would love a bacon buttie or something but just cannot get over the fear of choking.

Hi.I am sorry I do not have much advice myself.However I wonder if you have seen any of the ''Freaky eater'' series.We watched the latest episode yesterday.The man in the programme has a very limited diet.He appears to have a fear around choking or swollowing.He lives on baked beans,chips and vast amounts of milk.Although he does not have ASD the programme may still be interesting to watch on replay or view again .The current psychologist on the show also works in the NHS at the Royal Marsden Hospital [Mental Health] and he appears to be very on the ball.I did not see the end of the programme because we needed to get Ben to bed but will watch it tonight.

The programme might give you a few ideas even though it is not ASD specific.Karen.

Hi vicbee,

I really feel for you with this extremely worrying issue. It sounds like a specific phobia rather than an AS issue although that may complicate the problem. Phobias can be treated with CBT or similar, but you need a psychologist who has experience of this and can take AS into account . The fact that your daughter is eating suggests that there is a good chance of a cure.

Choking is scary. I have a mild fear of choking on just two foods - peas and sweetcorn, as a direct result of an incident with peas about 20 years ago. My throat actually constricts when I see these foods on my plate and I know I could not physically swallow them. Not a big deal for me, as it's easy to avoid two foods, and nothing like the severity of your child's situation. But if she experiences a similar physical reaction when faced with solid food, it will take more than gentle persuasion to try again, as the reaction may not be in her direct control.

You might find this site useful:

http://www.anxietyuk.org.uk/help.php

K x

Hi,

I had this issue with my son when he was about 14yrs after he nearly choked too.

I used to mince up EVERYTHING and made no fuss whatsoever ! entire roast dinners were minced up as that was the only way he could eat. Gradualy, this were "less minced" and slowly he returned to normal.

the fact that your daughter says she would like a bacon buttie is great, say thats great, and then mince it up for her, but don't stand and watch her eat it, leave her to it as tho it's a perfectly normal thing to do !

Good luck

:thumbs: