Sign in to follow this  
babnye1

Stressed about getting dressed

Hi

I have a paediatrician's appointment later this month for my son who has just

turned six. We have been referred by our GP as he has strong sensory issues (smells,

food, clothes). He also gets very upset about change or being hurried.

Anyway, getting dressed for school is always a bit of a chore. We try and have a

system in place but things can be turned on their heads by the wrong socks or

underpants (we are now down to only two pairs being acceptable!)

Variation on a theme today as I got changed and put on a skirt and tights. Ds

has mentioned before that he doesn't like tights and I nearly always wear jeans

these days (I work from home at the computer so no need to dress up!).

Today, he got so upset about me wearing the tights I had to change back into

jeans. Is it the change in routine? He almost looked like he would be sick. I

didn't look that bad honest?!!

Any ideas?

He also seems to hang on my every mood. I try to be really calm and patient in

the morning and don't rush him. I tell him it doesn't matter if we are a bit

late. But it is stressful and he knows, for example if I go silent or sigh

(after the 5th pair of socks)that I find it difficult so it makes him shout or

get upset.

I find it very difficult to deal with as I have a three year old to dress too

and husband goes out to work really early so is not around to help

Hi babnye

I don't know if it's of any help, but I made up some little cards with pictures of socks, pants, trousers etc. on them. I used to line them up in order of how I'd want him to put his clothes on, and he would take them away one by one as he got dressed. It was a bit tedious at first but he soon got the hang of it and it did speed him up a bit

As you say, maybe the tights thing is to do with routine and unexpected changes. Depending on his age, could you talk to him about what you're going to be wearing before you get dressed, or maybe distract him with something else while you're getting dressed?

Good luck at the paediatrician appointment :thumbs:

Hi.I do not have any answers to the sock issue but do understand very well.Ben is 10 and we still work through several pairs of socks regularly.It is very frustrating in the morning rush.Karen.

Sorry no advice but we have had the sock and pants issue for years, currently down to one pair of pants and 3 pairs of socks !!!

Clare x x x

Hi

I have a paediatrician's appointment later this month for my son who has just

turned six. We have been referred by our GP as he has strong sensory issues (smells,

food, clothes). He also gets very upset about change or being hurried.

Anyway, getting dressed for school is always a bit of a chore. We try and have a

system in place but things can be turned on their heads by the wrong socks or

underpants (we are now down to only two pairs being acceptable!)

Variation on a theme today as I got changed and put on a skirt and tights. Ds

has mentioned before that he doesn't like tights and I nearly always wear jeans

these days (I work from home at the computer so no need to dress up!).

Today, he got so upset about me wearing the tights I had to change back into

jeans. Is it the change in routine? He almost looked like he would be sick. I

didn't look that bad honest?!!

Any ideas?

He also seems to hang on my every mood. I try to be really calm and patient in

the morning and don't rush him. I tell him it doesn't matter if we are a bit

late. But it is stressful and he knows, for example if I go silent or sigh

(after the 5th pair of socks)that I find it difficult so it makes him shout or

get upset.

I find it very difficult to deal with as I have a three year old to dress too

and husband goes out to work really early so is not around to help

Hi i have the same problem with my daughter with the socks, normally if not at school she wears none she hates them totally this morning carried on due to socks not feeling right on her toes, in summer she wears nothing at all even outside no shoes nothing obviously when we go somewhere she has to put shoes on but every given opportunity she takes them off. She even rolls the long socks down to her ankles but won't wear ankle socks as she hates them :rolleyes: She isn't as bad as what she used to be every day was a major issue tantruming over every item of clothing she is also now 6 she won't wear a coat as when it is warm inside she doesn't get that it will be cold outside so i end up taking boots and coat with me as i know she will be in tears by end of street especially when sub zero she might make it further if warmer. She as regressed so the psychologist said due to her 2yr old sister, she wants me to dress her, she has always wanted me to dress her nothing as changed, she does like jumping in the pushchair i just have to be firm, it is hard my stress levels are through the roof i am going to give up work due to it all i can't cope with children and working especially when the 2 younger ones are very hard work, i have 2 older ones as well, typical teenagers, selfish me me and me, lol. No answers apart from they will learn to deal with it as they get older it is just the coping stratergies that we need to learn to help deal with it, the relaxation deep breathing and the counting to ten helps me sometimes :wallbash: lol. Sharon x

Hi babnye

I don't know if it's of any help, but I made up some little cards with pictures of socks, pants, trousers etc. on them. I used to line them up in order of how I'd want him to put his clothes on, and he would take them away one by one as he got dressed. It was a bit tedious at first but he soon got the hang of it and it did speed him up a bit

As you say, maybe the tights thing is to do with routine and unexpected changes. Depending on his age, could you talk to him about what you're going to be wearing before you get dressed, or maybe distract him with something else while you're getting dressed?

Good luck at the paediatrician appointment :thumbs:

We have done the same as above in the past. He is 13 now and it can take up to an hour for him to dress as he seems to be in a world of his own and playing mosquitoes with his hands. He hates certain clothes too and the feel, so I can feel your stress >:D<<'>

My son also suffers from major sensory issues. We have to order seamless ankle socks from America. The only thing we found helped was a sensory OT.

Edited by lynne