bid

Recipe thread

After 20 odd years of family cooking I have run out of inspiration, so thought it might be fun to have a thread for easy 'mid-week' meal recipes!

Here's my contribution for starters (pinched off a telly advert ;) )...

Salmon Parcels.

Place salmon steaks onto foil. Top each with a thin slice of lemon, then a sprig of fresh rosemary and finally a whole segment of unpeeled garlic roughly crushed. Drizzle with oilve oil, then seal foil and cook in the oven on Gas 6ish for about 25 mins or until the salmon is cooked.

Nice with new potatoes and some veg.

Boho :dance:

Edited by bid

Dirt cheap and luvvly jubbly - has anyone else found lamb shoulder shanks in the 'cheap cuts' section?

Brown in the frying pan and bung in a casserole, then fry off onions/carrots/mushrooms/celery etc in the same frying pan and chuck them on top. Add stock, and slowly casserole for about 2.5 hrs...

Extra nice if you add some tinned chick-peas and tinned toms. You can either bung some spuds in alongside and have jacket spuds, or boil some and have mash. Or chuck a bit of curry powder/paste in the casserole and serve with rice (add a few apricots or prunes and you've got 'morrocan lamb'). Or go all posh with a green salad and buttered noodles. Or slap some dumplings in for the last half hour and have a cobbler (cobblers!) Or do dauphinoise pots on side and have a betty turpin hotpot! Or bung some thick sliced french bread on top for the last half hour with garlic butter and melted cheese...

OR go really retro and have 'bone stew' with some cheap neck of lamb. Suck the luvvly marra-meat aht - goo on

If you don't like salmon 'cos it's well over-rated try what bid said with some nice fish (brown trout or Sea Bass or vietnamese cat-fish stuff that i can't remember the name of but tastes brown trouty/sea bassy-ey) or with chicken or toikey chunks...

Special beans on toast - beans on toast, but melt some butter in the saucepan and saute some onions before you put the beans in, and then add a splash of vinegar. If you wanna be daring, you could either melt some cheese onto the toast, or top with a poached egg. Thick cut, white bloomer's best :)

:D

Cook some pasta. Cook some cheese sauce can use fresh or packet mix. As the sauce thickens add some wafer thin ham (packet) cut into small pieces. Cover pasta with ham and cheese and serve.

another favourite is cook some rice. Add a tin of sweetcorn to cooked rice. Cook fish (fresh or packet or tinned). Cook omlette. Cut omlette and fish into small piece and add to rice. You can cook it again in a large pan for a minute with butter (but this is unhealthy).

If you don't like salmon 'cos it's well over-rated try what bid said with some nice fish (brown trout or Sea Bass or vietnamese cat-fish stuff that i can't remember the name of but tastes brown trouty/sea bassy-ey) or with chicken or toikey chunks...

Don't be a food snob! :shame:;) Nowt wrong with salmon, unless it's been smoked :sick::lol: But will try the lamb shoulder shanks as I do liike a naice casserole (basically I like being able to bung everything in and then forget about it for ages :rolleyes: ) :D

Thanks Lynne!

Keep 'em coming, guys!

Deliaaaaa??! (Jaded to the rest of us :whistle: )

Edited by bid

Food snob? The opposite, surely (DCMS :shame: ), as I'm saying I don't like salmon!

And tonight, by special request from #1 son we are having:

Sossidges, tinned toms and mash! Nice that, the juice from tinned tommies in a well in the miggle of your spud! :lol:

Now if I was being a food snob I would have given you my recipe for saussices au vin, which is very nice too!

Dunno if anyone else has seen it but they are doing a 'Red Nose Red' and a 'Red Nose White' in the supermarket - basically a bottle of plonk but with a pahnd going to red nose charidee... we've bought the Red Nose Red for next Friday, so B can have a spritzer and I'll demolish the rest of the bottle... I have a long history of gettting drunk for charidee - when i was 19 or so my team came third in the Grand Tiddly Wink race out of over 60 teams. I was very ill :sick::sick: , but still try to do my bit. Our prize was a barrel of Harvey's Sussex Ale, so I was very sick the next weekend too :sick::sick:

Anyway - those sossidges won't burn themsleves......

Sausage potato and onion bake.

Wot it says. Use good sausages, red onions and small potatoes.

Cut sausages in half, onions in quarters, potatoes in half and place on baking tray. Crush some garlic and herbs (rosemary or thyme, or use any mixed herbs from a jar). Mix herbs and garlic with olive oil. Drizzle over everything, along with a shake of pepper, and cook in oven for about half an hour, turning once, till everything is cooked. Serve with something wet and tomatoey, like baked beans or tinned ratatouille.

K x

(DCMS :shame: ),

Eh?? :lol:

Kathryn, I do a variation of your sossidge recipe, but using sweet potatoes, which is really yum :)

Right: my new recipe for this week is going to be BD's Morrocan apricotty lamb shanks plus some elderly couscous I have lurking in my cupboard! Will report back!

Edited by bid

Next week I am going to try the sausage, sweet potatoe and onion bake.

I like simple things than there is more time for the other boring household needs

Keep going as I am bored of what I cook

Put on a baking tray:

carrot (sliced thinly)

Sweet potato (sliced slightly thicker)

chopped clove of garlic

1 chicken breast (wrapped in a rasher of bacon and some cheese if you fancy)

Cover it with foil and bung it in the oven. Give it a bit of a stir half-way through cooking.

Excellent thread! :)

I too am bored with what I cook, and a Boeing 737 has a bigger kitchen than mine , so it's difficult to do elaborate meals. I need quick and easy and preferably cheap, so it's good to hear what other people do! I love looking at cookery books for ideas, but they're usually written by people with kitchens and wallets the size of football pitches. :wacko:

Another one of our favourites:

Salmon and broccoli tagliatelle.

Cook salmon (in oven if you have time, microwave if not.) Flake into chunks.

Cook broccolli. Cut into small pieces.

Cook tagliatelle ( any other pasta works, including spaghetti)

Gently heat in saucepan: tub of creme fraiche, fresh dill, lemon juice, pepper and salt.

Add salmon and broccolli to mixture. Pour over pasta.

You can use other veggies too, I like this particular combination.

K x

I have started using creme fraiche a lot, Kathryn...it's great for a pasta cheese sauce (add grated strong cheddar), or as the white sauce in lasagne.

This one's on the table in 15 mins.

Fry garlic & chopped up mushrooms in butter.

Meanwhile cook some pasta.

Add tuna chunks to the mushrooms.

Add lemon juice.

Mix together the pasta & the tuna/mushroom mix

Add single cream.

Mmmmmm.

Love this thread esp the salmon parcels for myself....still to find one my lad l eat tho!!!!! :whistle:

On the subject of food...

I've bought two newspapers in the last ten years or so - One had a free CD on the front i wanted and i bought the Grauniad yesterday as it had a booklet in i thought might be of interest to #1 son.

Anyhoo, it also included this by Tim Dowling, which is food related and made oi larf!

made oi larf

L&P

BD :D

What I'm just about to make...

Easy Peasy Chicken Pie.

Gently fry chopped onion and mushrooms until onion is clear. Put into pie dish with cooked, chopped chicken (remains of Sunday's roast, for example).

Add half a pint of gravy made from gravy granules, tarted up with some Worcester sauce and dried oregano.

Top with ready-made puff pastry and cook according to instructions on packet.

Serve with mashed potatoes and whatever veg you fancy.

This one is very popular with my littlies.

i bought the Grauniad yesterday as it had a booklet in i thought might be of interest to #1 son.

Anyhoo, it also included this by Tim Dowling, which is food related and made oi larf!

made oi larf

I read that too, made me laugh :lol: The booklet, however, (if we're talking about the same one) wasn't as good as it sounded (so much so, I didn't bother lying in wait for the newspaper boy yesterday to get the second part :fight:)

I don't like creme fraiche but that creamy garlicky round cheese melts nicely in a frying pan as the basis for loads of pasta sauce recipes. :eat:

mushroom soup

4oz mushrooms diced

1oz butter

1oz flour

1/2 pint of stock

1/2 pint of milk

salt pepper and herbs to taste (parsley works well)

Shove all in pan bring to the boil simmer for 10 mins. serve with crusty bread.

This does 2 adults 2 under 5's might need to double for more

Two nice fishy ones:

Salmon en croute

Chop up a fillet of salmon (uncooked) and mix this with a handful of spinach leaves into a small tub of creme fraiche (reserving one tablespoon). Season well. Spoon the mixture onto one side of a sheet of prepared puff pastry, fold over, and press the edges together. Mix the tbsp of creme fraiche with about 1tsp cold water and brush the mixture on top of pastry. Cut two slits to let air out. Bake at 220 for 20 mins or until pastry is golden brown.

Prawn and Feta Bake

Fry an onion in a little oil until translucent. Splosh with a little white wine and sprinkle with dried oregano. Add one can of tomatoes and simmer for 10mins. Add a packet of prawns. If cooked prawns, heat for 2-3 mins until heated through. If raw, simmer until prawns are pink. Crumble in half a pack of feta cheese and brown for 2-3 mins under a hot grill. Serve with a salad, fresh crusty bread and the remainder of the bottle of white wine!

Just about to pop J.Oliver's Hot-Cross Bun Puddin' as seen on the telly in the oven. Made it with Alpro dairy-free custard, so that we can all have it!

Will report back...

Edited by bid

Well, it's OK...

The texture isn't like proper Bread and Butter Puddin', so baking it didn't do what it does with B&BP.

But DH, who doesn't like B&BP did like this! :rolleyes:

By 'eck - tonight we had a lemon chicken recipe from Mr Oliver's supermarket's mag last month - It was abso-flipping-lootly lovely!

Piece of cake:

• heat some oil in a big saucepan/casserole and brown your chicken bits on all sides (we used skinless thighs), fish em out and bung 'em to one side while you
  • sweat 1 large onion and 1-2 cloves of garlic, then
  • stir in one tablespoon flour before
  • adding juice of a lemon and a glass of wait wain...
  • add 1 tin of flageolet beans and stir in some chicken stock, then
  • bung the chicken back in, bring back to bubble and turn down to simmer for half an hour... :eat:
  • Bung in herbs and salt and pepper to your liking - the recipe says tarragon, but we adn't got nun so we had rosemary in ours...

We thought it might go nice with a mash mix of sweet and white potato, but it wasn't the best call we ever made :( Jacket spuds or rice would work better... the poiple sprartin' broccolli went a treat though :)

Superquick bolognese: dry fry beef until brown. In the meantime chop 1 onion, garlick. Remove meat with slated spoon and put aside in a bowl. Put onion + garlick in saucepan with meat juices, add tin of tomato sauce + a bit of concentrated tomato + herbs + frozen peas. Then add the meat. Boil the kettle and make stock using a cube add to mixture + a dash of cheap red plonk and if you like it a bit spicy half a tea spoon of mild chilly powder. Cook pasta. That's it

One which is great for rushed din dins is pastry free quiche:

for 6 people

3 eggs

1/2 l milk

l00 g plain flour

1 pinch salt

100 g grated cheese

200 g ham cut small squares

150 other meat (cooked chicken, cooked sausage, whatever is in fridge)

Mix flour +eggs then add milk stir then add everything else. Put in oven proof dish. Put in oven for 40 minutes, 210�C. Also very nice eaten cold. I often put that in lunch boxes because my son cannot eat bread texture. This is more like omelette.