Sign in to follow this  
DJ With Aspergers

Hello Everyone

I am an adult with recently disagnosed (albeit unofficially) Aspergers, I am fighting a what appears to be a loogin battle with the local healthcare personnel to get an official diagnosis.

I have a 6y.o son who also has aspergers which is combined with ADHD.

Just thought I ought to pop in and say HI :)

Hi DJ, welcome to the forum. :)

K x

Hi I am new to the forum too> i am mother to a 19 year old daughter just DX officially with AS syndrome-high functioning asperger's. She was dx by the Autism Diagnostic & Research Centre, Southampton University. They are newish having started up in early 2008 and aim to offer assessment to adults. We managed due to a fab GP to get our local PCT to fund it out of county! It was about £4000.

Mind you what she will be able to use it for we are not sure. She is in her final term at college after 3 years studying animal care & management. They are not interested in helping her make a transition to adult life. Conundrum - does she tell prospective employers or not, she does not interview well but could with some help and a placement train as a veterinary nurse although it looks a tad bleak at the moment. She is keen to work and be independant of us but there seems to be no real help out there and I was told recently that post education it is like falling off a cliff. We are trying to avoid that .

Mind you what she will be able to use it for we are not sure. She is in her final term at college after 3 years studying animal care & management. They are not interested in helping her make a transition to adult life. Conundrum - does she tell prospective employers or not, she does not interview well but could with some help and a placement train as a veterinary nurse

Hi, and welcome to the forum :) I don't know where you're based, but have you tried Prospects from the National Autistic Society? These issues are exactly the ones they are supposed to support individuals with. I've previously had a bad experience with their student service, but I gather there's been changes recently and I will be looking again into their employment service soon as it might help me with transitions, which are always a difficult time.

Prosects Link (even if they can't help you/don't cover your area, there are some other useful links on that webpage).

hello and welcome.

I dunno why its so difficult to get a dx as an adult, though have heard from other's experiences that its not always a huge fight.

I guess it comes down to where you live and what services are like in your area.

I have no dx of as, but do have traits. have never seeked a formal dx because i don't have it in me to fight for a dx, or even discuss issues and problems I face.

Wish you luck in your battle.