Sign in to follow this  
Rachelp2

Amitriptyline

Hello,

I posted a few ago about my son who has A.S and needed help.

He has been on Anitriptyline 25mg at night for a week now, my questions are.....

(1) Has anyone else's child been given this medication?

(2) What strength was prescribed?

(3) How old is your child?

(4) Were there any side effects?

I know this medication takes 4 weeks till he starts to feel any benefit from them, but he's had the runs last weeek which maybe connected and I stopped the melatonin as this med has a sedative effect and is really helping him to get a good sleep already!

Just wondering if anyone else's child is on Amitriptyline?

Best Wishes

Rach x

Hi Rachel,

My 16 year old daughter is on amytrypteline and has been since June. She started off on 75mg and is now on 100mg. She was not sleeping before and the medication definitely helped with that. Can't say we noticed any digestive problems.

She is complaining of constant tiredness which may or may not be due to the med - or it could be a symptom of depression, or something else altogether! We are due for a review of this, her OCD is quite severe at the moment and it doesn't seem to be having any impact on that.

Amitryptiline is regularly prescribed for other reasons than anti-depressant. It's about using side-effects positively so as it can make you drowsy, so it can be used to aid sleep. It's also used frequently as a pain reliever. Dosage varies but I'm aware of several children being prescribed it for ME, though I don't know of anyone with ASDs using it, but then I'm at the bottom of the learning ladder and don't know many ASD children yet.

Karen

x

Hi Rach, I have used amitriptyline myself for depression in the past but I have never heard of it being prescribed for children.

It made me very drowsy at the time. Seemed to 'calm' everything down while taking it and no ill side-effects except for breathlesness during exercise.

I would have thought any results would show quicker than 4 weeks tho.

Good Luck

Mike

Hi guys my 11year old son is on 25mgs of Amitriptyline melatonin was not working but this 1 is he sleeps now and dont wander around the house at 2or 3 in morning he has ADHD and has 40mgs of Ritalin a day aswell xxxTinyxxxx :thumbs:

I was on amitriptyline, for pain and associated depression, but took myself off it as it made me too sleepy to deal with my children, I know my partner came in one night and I got up to goto the toilet and he accused me of being drunk as I couldn't stand up :hypno: from then I took the tablet in bed, but stopped them after a few months. I didn't have any side affects as an adult.

Edited by lil_me

I am taking amitryptiline. I started on 25mg at night, but that made me feel very nice but like a zombie, which is no good with three boys to look after. I am taking 10mg at night at the moment. The last time, I saw a different doctor and he said it is such a low dose it can't be doing anything, but it seems to be enough for me, so I don't see any point in changing it.

Karen

I was on very high doses for chronic pain and bowel problems but also found it made me dozy and I didn't like it

be aware that it can cause the salivary glands to stop functioning properly so you need to drink all the time or chew gum to keep your mouth moist or it will play havoc with the gums and teeth - this can happen on low doses too

Zemanski

i'm on a small dose (20mg) per night to relieve my M.E symptoms, it levels off the central nervous system apparently. works for me, although i feel i bit sleepy in the evenings, i have terrible trouble with my sleep pattern without it xxxxxxx haven't heard of it being given as treatment for ASD before, worth a try though, it's a 'safe' drug (not many side effects). all the beat hun x

Hello,

I posted a few ago about my son who has A.S and needed help.

He has been on Anitriptyline 25mg at night for a week now, my questions are.....

(1) Has anyone else's child been given this medication?

(2) What strength was prescribed?

(3) How old is your child?

(4) Were there any side effects?

I know this medication takes 4 weeks till he starts to feel any benefit from them, but he's had the runs last weeek which maybe connected and I stopped the melatonin as this med has a sedative effect and is really helping him to get a good sleep already!

Just wondering if anyone else's child is on Amitriptyline?

Best Wishes

Rach x

ive been on amitripyline 25-50mg night

also venlafaxine 150mg morning

really for adult 12plus liver,kidney normal cf adults

25mg too low unless on antidepressant ie venlafaxine

phenergan or promethazine good for sleep,12 plus 25mg promethazine at night

1 hour b4 sleep B)

a son ie less 12 year promethazine syrup gp prescribable

Hi evertonian, as i said my son is 11yrs old he is on 25mgs of Amitriptyline and 40mgs of Ritalin a day with no side affects hope this helps he is doing really well at the mo and starts high school in september. Tinyxx B)