Sign in to follow this  
Mumble

Jelly Snakes!

Not ASD related but I thought you might be the very people who would know the answer as I know that a lot of your kids are on special diets. I have a very sweet tooth and love all sorts of chocolate and sweets, especially the kiddy sweets - Rainbow Drops, Flumps, Jelly Fried Eggs, Shrimps, Jelly Rings, liquorish Catherine wheels ... :eat: *drools* :eat1:

However, I can no longer have certain chemical preservatives and possibly colours/flavours which are put into most of these, and I'm struggling to find ones I can have (grapes just don't have the same appeal... :lol:) - actually, I'd never paid attention to the ingredients list before and some of them contain really frightening stuff :o At the moment I'm on no additives :crying:. Even the brand which advertises itself as 'healthy' (as far as sweets can be healthy :unsure:) contains sulphites :(

Does anyone know of (probably have to PM me, not quite sure of the rules here as I know the FreeFrom stuff can be named) any jelly type sweets (doesn't have to be snakes!! :lol:) that don't contain any nasties, or am I stuck with fruit for now? *sulks*

Edit: I'm def. going mad, I'm sure I posted this in the diet section. Oh well. :oops:

Edited by Mumble

My local health food shop has some tiny packets of jellies that are very expensive. I feel I should be able to make my own with fruit juice and gelatine at a fraction of the cost.

sainsburys do american hard gums with no animal or milk products , also Edward and Sons has three types of gummi bears: regular, sour, and jelly bears. Let's talk about the differences. Their regular bears are just like the non-vegan gummi bears. They taste very fruity. The jelly bears have sugar on the outside and remind me of those candy orange slices I used to get. The sour bears, thankfully, are not that sour. They have just a hint of pucker in them. These along with cola bottle jelly sweets with all natural stuff can be found at most health food shops and also you can get licorice, also the co op is worht a look at their own branded sweets too

Thanks everyone for your suggestions here and in PMs. Sorry I haven't replied to individual PMs but I do appreciate the time you've all taken to offer advice :thumbs:

I've found some of the ones people have suggested, I'm glad I can have natural forms of liquorish - but still it's very much a case of looking carefully at the ingredients on each of the jelly type sweets - in many cases I can have some products from a range and not others. What I've found rather disconcerting is that a popular rage that many of you have suggested in PMs that advertise themselves regularly on the telly as additive free actually contain a high level of sulphites. As I have a sulphite sensitivity that affects my breathing this is definitely one I can't have :tearful:

The other thing I've noticed is that all the ones that are potentially 'better' are at least twice the price of the regular versions :shame:

Sulphites do occur naturally in some foods, so it doesn't necessarily mean anything artificial has been added. They are a tricky one to avoid!

Apparently all wines contains some natural sulfites. :crying:

About 1 in 100 people are sulfites intolerance to some degree, mostly asthmatics. Simptons are headaches, breathing problems and rashes.

Edited by chris54

Sulphites do occur naturally in some foods, so it doesn't necessarily mean anything artificial has been added. They are a tricky one to avoid!

Yep, they're a 'natural' preservative, so can occur naturally or be added and still be labelled as natural/additive free :wallbash: Thankfully, they are supposed to be labelled on products (in the same way as for nuts).

And as Chris says, they are very common in wine :wine: because sulphites are packed with the grapes during transportation to stop them going off/discolouring.

I have found some Jelly Dinasours from our local Co-op. I think they are made by The Natural Sweet Company. My child has had them and they are very nice and not sent her crazy. They do normal fruit flavours and also sour flavour ones.

Not quite jelly snakes but my local fishmonger sells jelly deels...

:D

Ha ha ha, I like that :lol: