Sign in to follow this  
bjkmummy

being asked to go on the class trip next week by j teacher

joes class going to the farm next week - got nobbled by the class teacher today to see if i would also go to the farm with the class - do you think its to help all the little ones in joes class or being a cynic cos they cant cope with him so they asked me so that he will be with someone he knows and trust??? how many of you get asked to go on the trips as well??

hi

i go on all school trips with george and his school, they invite me free of charge on trips, it is mainly to make sure he is ok with travel and any new enviroment ie pantomines are out of the question last year we had to come out after 10 mins but must admit school were very good offered to pay for taxi for us, i wouldnt let them, got to say i do enjoy these trips it is nice to see how he interacts with other which i must say is limited.

theresa

I am afraid I am on the side of the cynics.

Parents are not normally asked these days as in order to work with children even as a volunteer it would be necessary to have a CRB check done.

It might be because they think he will find it more difficult than the other children in the class to go into a different environment, and that he will be happier if you are there, rather than that they feel they won't be able to cope without you. Do you not want to go, or are you just curious as to their motives?

At my DS's school, parents of children with any form of medical or learning difficulty are always made very welcome on school trips of any kind, but if they can't come/don't want to come that is fine, and the child still goes on the trip without them. To the extent that the mother of a child with Cystic Fibrosis is going on the residential trip with her child this year, even though none of the other parents in that class are.

I've also been asked many times to go on school trips with my very well behaved NT child, so it may well have absolutely nothing to do with Joe's special needs, and just that you are seen as a safe pair of extra hands.

I am afraid I am on the side of the cynics.

Parents are not normally asked these days as in order to work with children even as a volunteer it would be necessary to have a CRB check done.

That is only the case if you will be alone with the children. If you are helping with a number of other adult volunteers and will not be left alone with the children, then CRB checks aren't needed. I would imagine this will be the case at the farm.

do you think its to help all the little ones in joes class or being a cynic cos they cant cope with him so they asked me so that he will be with someone he knows and trust?

Moot point. If your son will enjoy the day more with you there and be better equipped to manage the experience and to integrate appropriately then the school's motives are working to the good however they are intended. And on that, it's probably better to give them the benefit of the doubt than look for less favourable reasons... anything that gets parent/school contact up and improves communication between home and school has to be a good thing.

As the above poster points out, you're actually very lucky to be invited what with CRB checks etc. Many parents would like to go, but that kind of red tape stops them. they could then make negative judgements that the school didn't want them to see how badly their children were being supported... as always, school can't win, 'cos there's always a spin! :lol:

Hope you have a lovely day out. No shouting 'mint sauce' at the lambs, and no forcing the ducks to lay on their backs to see if they quack up.

L&P

BD :D

i dont mind going - just remember my friend who went last year saying (she has an older son with aspergers) that due to her knowledge of children with special needs the group of children she was assigned were the ones with special needs. bit anxious if they do this with me as i struggle with joe and if he kicks off and one of the other children do as well im in trouble. i would have thought though they would mix them up a bit as the other child with special needs in joes class does not get on with joe - they are too alike so are usually kept seperated

in our school we would never dream of giving a parent a group of special needs children or indeed a group of any children who need more supervision, and that is usually the very active and inattentive ones.

parents usually get their own child with a few other 'good' children leaving the rest to the staff, which is how i think it should be

i dont mind going - just remember my friend who went last year saying (she has an older son with aspergers) that due to her knowledge of children with special needs the group of children she was assigned were the ones with special needs. bit anxious if they do this with me as i struggle with joe and if he kicks off and one of the other children do as well im in trouble. i would have thought though they would mix them up a bit as the other child with special needs in joes class does not get on with joe - they are too alike so are usually kept seperated

Well, if you are prepared to go, but have these (completely reasonable) concerns, then I think that is what you should tell the teacher. If this is what they had planned, they might be able to adjust it so that you can support Joe better.

I have been on a trip with DS today. I have been asked to go on all of his trips, ever since he started school. I did, however, make sure that it was on the understanding that I am there for him and only him. I don't want to take responsibility for any other children, as I have been asked to go specifically because of his condition. They have been fine with that, and have never asked me to look after any other children (although I am CRB checked through my work in the school kitchen).

I really enjoy going on these trips - it's good to see how he is with the other kids and, actually, he was praised today for being the best listener in the group :thumbs:. Of course, sometimes it all gets too much, but if I am there, that means that the staff don't have to deal with a meltdown. Of course it makes their lives a bit easier, but I'm a believer in 'give and take' and I do think it helps my relationship with the teachers.

Our schools always ask for parents to volunteer to assist on trips....if it something I think might set off my son I go but otherwise I dont.

I also go on the school trips with my son. this is be because he is more settled and able to handle the different environment easier if I am there. I also usually end up with another child who has ADHD. But this is because this young lad behaviours better for me than his teacher. I think he also is more comfortable with me.

My son was not allowed on school trips whilst on his last 4 schools without me, now he is in the residential school I dont have to go and he usually gets platinum awards for not losing any points whilst on trips

my OH usually has to go with kyle on a trip (he is better with children than me LOL, and can drive). if one of us don't go though kyle isn't allowed to either. and as they talk about the trip to the class you HAVE to let him go dont you :rolleyes: not that i mind him going but i'd rather not have the emotional blackmail lol

Most primary schools round here ask for parent helpers on trips.

I used to enjoy going on trips with the Twins, but it did sometimes cause problems because they were in different classes so couldn't always both be in my group.

I always seemed to get a group of 6 boys!

Hi,

When my daughter was at primary they always asked if a family member would like to go with them. I never felt this was to help out with others - merely as an extra support for my daughter - in case she got upset, anxious etc.

Always enjoyed it - was nice to see her in a different environment.

Take care,

Jb

That is only the case if you will be alone with the children. If you are helping with a number of other adult volunteers and will not be left alone with the children, then CRB checks aren't needed. I would imagine this will be the case at the farm.

This point is very much open to interpretation of the law.

Some LA will insist that any one having any contact with children whilst in school (or on school trip) must have a CRB check.

There is also the insurance issues that may have to be considered, if a child has an accident whiles in your care who is liable.

When I was a Homestart volunteer the council there insisted that anyone working with children had a new CRB check done every 3 years.(This is not required by law). Because we got some funding from the council they dictated that we did the same.

I was just wondering whether this was something that you volunteered for or responded to a general request for help or whether you were specifically singled out?

You could perhaps ring the teacher to check on details - and casually ask if there was a special reason for being the chosen one.

On the bright side if you are thinking about a statement - you could use this request as additional evidence if it appears that you have been singled out

i have joe and his twin in the class - will see what group of children i get - if i get keira in my group then i know that im just going as a mum - i am actually quite looking forward to you it! mentioned to a few mums ive been asked to go and now they are all upset cos they werent asked!

I've thoroughly enjoyed helping out on class trips-I know that I was there for Cal when he was at mainstream, but I was happy to go- and each time, he behaved like an angel!

I have always been asked to go on trips, but have never felt i was there only for my son. Most of the time he isn't even in my group. Perhaps the school know he feels more secure just having me nearby when in a different situation. Also, the class teacher always has the group that are the most challenging. I get asked to go on trips with other classes, too. Every parent helper is police checked at our school.

Edited by DMM

I was a parent helper at my T's school and every helper was police checked, I helped on the school trip's and also

in the classrooms, my daughter was not always in my group as i was not always helping in just her class, they seem to

think it's a bad thing if your child is in the same group as the parent, i was told, she needs to mix more. Bear in mind

this was some 13 years ago, and looking back now i don't think they understood my daughter at all.