Sign in to follow this  
thebuzzer

Proposed Statement

Afternoon everyone

I received my son's proposed statement 3 weeks ago and after reading it could see that it was not detailed enough (which is an understatement). I contacted the LA asking for a meeting to discuss it. They emailed me to say they would be in touch with a meeting date, a week later, nothing (but it gave me valuable time to put together what I want included). I spoke to them yesterday and apparently the CEO was supposed to call me last week, surprise, surprise! The caseworker said that the CEO wanted to know what my issues were before the meeting and when I told her I felt that statement did not detail all of DS's needs she asked if I could email what I want changed/included and if there may be no need for a meeting if they agree to the changes. If they don't off to SENDIST I will trot!

Could this be some dastardly ploy by the LA or just a good idea to save me having to drive to a meeting an hour away!

Thoughts greatly appreciated.

Hi buzzer,

Nothing wrong with this, in fact it's a good idea, and probably more useful than suggesting changes at a meeting because they probably wouldn't agree to anything on the day, especially if there are a lot of changes.

It's useful to have an electronic copy of the statement on which you can detail all the changes you want. If you don't have this, ask your LA for one, they will probably be used to this request as it's common practice to produce a working document for tribunal appeals about the content of the statement.

Be as precise as you can be about the wording you want. Don't delete any of the original wording from the statement: use the following conventions to show changes:

bold for your suggested changes

strikethrough for anything you want removed.

The LA usually detail their agreed changes in italics.

This helps both sides to track all amendments clearly.

Hope that helps

K x

Hi buzzer,

Nothing wrong with this, in fact it's a good idea, and probably more useful than suggesting changes at a meeting because they probably wouldn't agree to anything on the day, especially if there are a lot of changes.

It's useful to have an electronic copy of the statement on which you can detail all the changes you want. If you don't have this, ask your LA for one, they will probably be used to this request as it's common practice to produce a working document for tribunal appeals about the content of the statement.

Be as precise as you can be about the wording you want. Don't delete any of the original wording from the statement: use the following conventions to show changes:

bold for your suggested changes

strikethrough for anything you want removed.

The LA usually detail their agreed changes in italics.

This helps both sides to track all amendments clearly.

Hope that helps

K x

Thanks Kathryn, that does help, I shall give his caseworker a call in the morning and ask her to email me one. I had typed it all out myself with black for what they had said and wanted kept in and blue for my suggested changes, as for what I want removed - well I was a bit stuck on that one! No longer though!

Will let you know how it goes.

Good luck. :)

In the event of an appeal (hopefully not, but no harm in being prepared!) SENDIST (or SEND as they are now) doesn't do colour copying, so the proposed changes to the statement need to be clear in black and white, hence the above conventions. If you do it that way now it will save time and effort later!

K x

We done our amendments via email and just high lighted the section we wanted changed and wrote what we want in a different style of writing. We deleted the sections we did not want and wrote this in the statement saying it was not clear (hope that made sense)

Our childs statement is in detail and this clearly made the choice of secondary provision easier.