bid

Bad News

On the down side, the consultant thinks she may have scoliosis (unrelated to the accident).

She's being seen again in a couple of months to check for this. So I'm feeling a bit low about that, as DH has it too so I know how it's affected him :(

Bid :unsure:

>:D<<'> >:D<<'> That is a worry for you.Karen.

Good to hear the cast is off. :thumbs:

I don't know much about scoliosis but it must be worrying. >:D<<'>

K x

Just a wee update...

Meg saw the OT over half term, and the nerve damage isn't progressing quite as well as they hoped, so she has to wear a new bionic hand splint all the time now.

And, can you believe it, but another child in her year has been saying to her and others that she didn't need so much time off school, that she's faking it, and that everyone thought it was better when she wasn't at school!! :( The staff are on top of things, and she is fine because she has a group of firm friends...but how sad that a child should want to do something like this :( It's really upset B and reduced her to tears at school, but she gave said child the rough edge of her tongue :ph34r:

Seeing ortho guy later this month, and OT again next month.

Ho hum...

Edited by bid

Just a wee update...

Meg saw the OT over half term, and the nerve damage isn't progressing quite as well as they hoped, so she has to wear a new bionic hand splint all the time now.

And, can you believe it, but another child in her year has been saying to her and others that she didn't need so much time off school, that she's faking it, and that everyone thought it was better when she wasn't at school!! :( The staff are on top of things, and she is fine because she has a group of firm friends...but how sad that a child should want to do something like this :( It's really upset B and reduced her to tears at school, but she gave said child the rough edge of her tongue :ph34r:

Ho hum...

Sorry to hear it's not going so well :( Hope those meetings next month bring some better news.

Other kid - wouldn't surprise me if the other kid is just repeating stuff she's heard (if not directly then he/she just comes from a home where that kind of attitude is the norm). M is confident and smart enough to know that stuff like that says more about the other kid than it does about her. :thumbs:

Very best for next month :pray:

BD :D

Only just seen this hun.....big >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> ....how very scary for you all. Hope the scoliosis turns out to be a false alarm hun. Take care and keep plenty of the old :wine: in stock!

Hope it all goes OK >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Loobylou's suggestion sounds good! :cheers::wine: :wine: :wine:

Some children can be horrible. :wacko:

Sorry progress isn't as good as hoped, Hope the splint works and good luck for the other appointments. Hugs to M. >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

K x

Gah!! :wallbash:

PE teachers!! (apologies to any reading: I'm sure you're all lovely ;) )

On-going tussles over the fact that Meg still can't do PE as the consultant has said she mustn't be knocked or fall over, as any further trauma to the break will almost certainly result in the nerve damage becoming permemnent.

Plus she is now wearing her bionic hand, which involves a teeny sling for each finger attached to elastic bands, all of which have to be put on separately and then the elastic bands each looped over another contraption...

So, no!! She's still not OK to do PE or get changed anyway even if she isn't doing it!!

Grrrrr :angry:

Bid :(

Edited by bid

So, no!! She's still not OK to do PE or get changed anyway even if she isn't doing it!!

>:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

No, all PE teachers are really horrid... it's part of the training :devil::whistle:

The line that always grates with me is "If they're well enough to come to school...." :wallbash: :wallbash:

Maybe a timely note from the GP/cons is in order?

Feel truly awful :(

Just back from OT appointment.

There has been no improvement in the nerve damage in Meg's hand at all. I looked on her notes and against all the functions the OT had written '0'.

We are seeing the ortho consultant next week, and the OT was talking about nerve ?conductivity tests to get some kind of prognosis.

I know that nerve damage can take a long time to repair, but we were also told it might never recover.

To make matters worse, I cried in front of Meg, which I don't want to do because I don't want her to worry.

I feel so awful when I see her poor floppy little fingers and wrist. I know it's nothing compared to what could have happened to her, but I still feel terrible. And she also needs a referral back to the plastic surgery guys because the wound on her face has healed with sort of granules under the skin (we have been using Bio oil religiously).

Thanks for listening to me dump...

Bid :tearful:

The implications if the damage doesn't get better have only really hit me today.

What will happen if she only has one working hand? A hand splint imoblises her wrist and stops it flopping, but even then she still has no useful movement in her fingers really. I don't know how that may affect jobs or driving, for example.

I had hoped that it was getting better very gradually...but the OT said the wrist will improve first, and that had a big fat '0' so actually it hasn't improved since the accident at all.

Thank you for the kind thoughts.

Edited by bid

Oh Bid :(

>:D<<'> >:D<<'> to both of you.

Hope you get some answers to the uncertainties very soon.

K x

Lot of tears from Meg this morning :tearful:

She's never really cried about the whole thing before (only when they tried to make her drink movicol in hospital). She's been such a stoic, and laughed at so much...but it must be awful, especially the huge bionic hand splint because it has sort of angled plastic tubes through which run elastic which then attaches to each finger with a little sling. I mean, you can't exactly hide it.

We feel so helpless, because we can't say that we can make everything OK :( I never knew you could get this kind of thing from a broken arm...it's such a 'normalised' injury, isn't it...I mean D broke his arm when he was about 2 falling off a slide. But I guess there is the trauma with it being due to being knocked down :( I was so worried about her head injury, and in actual fact apart from a glued cut and lots of grazes that was fine.

>:D<<'> >:D<<'>

As well as the physical injury, the emotional impact of the accident will probably take some time to overcome. Poor Meg. :(

K x

Edited by Kathryn

I'm new here - hope you don't mind me posting. Just to say how sorry I am to read about your wee girl. You must be so stressed out wondering how she'll progress. Thinking of you and sending you very good wishes!

Mo

I'm new here - hope you don't mind me posting. Just to say how sorry I am to read about your wee girl. You must be so stressed out wondering how she'll progress. Thinking of you and sending you very good wishes!

Mo

Thank you Mo, and welcome to the forum :)

Bid :)

I don't come on here very much anymore so only seen this update today!

Just a thought hun on megs arm. do you think the nerve damage is because of the type of break she had and the fact that it had to b e twisted all the way back round .

I don't come on here very much anymore so only seen this update today!

Just a thought hun on megs arm. do you think the nerve damage is because of the type of break she had and the fact that it had to b e twisted all the way back round .

Hi hun >:D<<'>

Yes...the radial nerve winds round the humerus so when the humerus was broken the radial nerve was traumatised, possibly torn or severed...because there's been no improvement at all I guess the nerve tests will establish exactly what has happened to it.

I don't know whether rotating her arm back made it worse...the ortho guys and the OT have always said it was the fracture itself that caused the nerve damage, but I would think because the rotation was so extreme it can't have helped in general :(

Edited by bid

Well, it's Meg's birthday today (12)!! Very sobering to think things could have been very, very different today...

:bday:

Bid :wub:

Happy birthday Meg :) Hope you've had a good day and are feeling a bit better.

And >:D<<'> >:D<<'> to you too Bid.

K x