Sign in to follow this  
charlie727

unsure...... :/

:unsure: :unsure: hello every1, ive got a decision to make about wether or not to let my son be given the medication-RISPERIDONE.....

i would really appreciate any feedback on this medication be it good or not so good,the doctors and other professionals can only tell you so much and i wold love to hear from parents whose child(ren) are taking it.......

many thanks and best wishes

charlie

xxx

Hi, my lad is on it, over a year now, it is really very very effective in making them less anxious/agressive/odd? it does take a little while to get the dose right, it usually starts low, 0.5mg and builds up, we were up to 3mg but have been down to 2mg for a couple of months now. my lad is 13 now and we have had NO incidents for 5/6 months!!!! few at school but none at home, it has really given us back our life, the weight gain is a real problem but at the time I had to weigh up ( no pun intended!) wether the life we were all living or DS getting fat was a consideration in him not taking it, I chose getting our life back, and as his behaviour became more reasonable I was able to modify his diet, hope this helps, feel free to pm. Enid

Heres some information on the drug. Sometimes its worth doing a trial period on the drug to see if it is benefical.

Don't be too alarmed by the side effects as the side effects for paracetamol are much longer.

Side-effects see notes above; also sleep disturbances, agitation, anxiety, and headache; less commonly constipation, nausea and vomiting, dyspepsia, abdominal pain, hypertension, drowsiness, impaired concentration, dizziness, fatigue, hyperprolactinaemia (with galactorrhoea, menstrual disturbances, gynaecomastia), sexual dysfunction, priapism, urinary incontinence, abnormal vision, and rash; rarely seizures, hyponatraemia, abnormal temperature regulation, epistaxis, and angioedema; very rarely benign prostatic adenoma; oedema and blood disorders also reported

Dose

Psychoses, 2 mg in 1?2 divided doses on first day then 4 mg in 1?2 divided doses on second day (slower titration appropriate in some patients); usual dose range 4?6 mg daily; doses above 10 mg daily only if benefit considered to outweigh risk (max. 16 mg daily); elderly initially 500 micrograms twice daily increased in steps of 500 micrograms twice daily to 1?2 mg twice daily; child 12?15 years see BNF for Children

Mania, initially 2 mg once daily, increased if necessary in steps of 1 mg daily; usual dose range 1?6 mg daily; elderly initially 500 micrograms twice daily increased in steps of 500 micrograms twice daily to 1?2 mg twice daily

Hi My Ds has been on risperidone for over a yr and we didnt feel that the benefits were great, it just took the edge off his aggression and he was a little less hyper, we have had to wean him off it because he has put so much weight on with it, he is only 6 and weighs over 7 stone, dont get me wrong he was over weight before he went on this med but the risperidone just made him ravenous all the time!

Sarah

almost lost my mind to this stuff wont take it again.