JeanneA

This Morning: Horse boy

It could be worth watching 'This Morning' today at 10.30 on ITV, I heard that they are discussing autism don't really know anymore details, but I am going to record the programme just in case. Just thought I would let you all know smile.gif

Watched this and as a horse owner and lover I found it inspirational, horse,s are wonderful animals and if they make a connection they are loyal and protective.I really enjoyed watching Rupert talk about his son, it was informative and honest.He is quick to point out his son isn,t cured and neither is he looking to cure him.Hes written a book about their mongolia trip and the bbc are going to show a documentary on their journey.

I heard a radio interview and read an article about this some time ago and found it fascinating, although I m not quite sure what to make of the Shaman healing rituals the family participated in, or the change of behaviour and improvement in the child's symptoms which apparently resulted.

Here's the article.

Intriguing stuff: both the horses and the Shamanism- what do others make of it?

K x

Edited by Kathryn

I found it fascinating,and it was really up lifting,the dad conducted himself really well and gave a quite balanced account of what happened.I see a reaction in my son who has as when near dogs,and if i had a bigger house i would definately get one for him,but only have 2 bed flat at the moment.

It may not work for everyone,but obviously,for his family,it has been worth it,and looks like a wonderful adventure.I did like what he said about it being a gateway to adventure..that is a lovely way of looking at things.

Animals have a quality which can really move some people and the stories we sometimes hear of them having a wonderful effect on children is really inspiring and quite magical.

Very interesting,shall look forward to watching the documentary.

Dawn.

I heard a radio interview and read an article about this some time ago and found it fascinating, although I m not quite sure what to make of the Shaman healing rituals the family participated in, or the change of behaviour and improvement in the child's symptoms which apparently resulted.

Here's the article.

Intriguing stuff: both the horses and the Shamanism- what do others make of it?

K x

How much of the effect is sensory I wonder? The proprioceptive and vestibular input from physically riding a horse, the deep pressure all must be calming. Interesting how in the article quoted the father used to take him out to the fields when he had 'neurological firestorms' to presumably reduced sensory input and overload. The environment for the trek in Mongolia may have been similar. The Shaman rituals, rhythmic noises, dancing, movement, touch, outdoors etc may also have reduced sensory overload, fed the senses that were undersensitive and helped this child's developing brain to make new neurological connections.

Of course there is part of me that is sceptical and puts it down to coincidence and change in parental perceptions. There have been numerous times when DS has made a big developmental leap and if we'd embarked upon a trip or were undertaking some new fangled diet or intervention would no doubt have hung our hat on that and attributed the improvement to it. However some of marked changes in DS have not coincided with anything new, just happened because it did and I wonder if simply that is how the autistic brain works

Lx

The proprioceptive and vestibular input from physically riding a horse, the deep pressure all must be calming.

:blink::blink:

and once more in English? :lol::lol::D

However some of marked changes in DS have not coincided with anything new, just happened because it did and I wonder if simply that is how the autistic brain works

I've commented on this in the past many times, both in relation to my own DS and my experience with other kids...

'Linear' progress - especially in younger kids - doesn't seem to happen in the same way but Quantum Leaps in understanding happen far more often. Again, with younger kids there was a very noticable (temporary) 'backward step' in other areas while the new skill was being consolidated - i.e. when the 'penny dropped' for #1 son about toileting he became more distracted/unfocussed in other areas. It's like all the 'Ram' is being used up on the new process, and the hard drive has to work harder on all the background stuff that was previously using shared resources... Can't think of a better analogy, so hope that one makes sense. As they get older (IME) things even out a little and the backward steps are less obvious.

As for animal's being good for kids - I think if your kid loves an animal it's going to have a HUGE effect on them. The feedback from a happy relationship with a pet is going to work on so many levels (mental/physical/emotional/friendship) it's got to be good. Let's face it, if pets didn't have that effect no one would bother keeping them...

Take a cat, for example - while they can get on your wick sometimes, stroking a calm one on your lap while you're watching telly is incredibly relaxing.

I think 'animal therapy' can help any kid (provided he likes the animal), but it's not a 'cure' of any sort...

L&P

BD :D

:blink::blink:

and once more in English? :lol::lol::D

LOL! Can you tell we've had OT appointment this week :rolleyes:

Errr........... knowing where parts of your body are in relation to each other; movement

Lx