sylvm

How do keep your stress levels down?

Things have been hugely stressful here recently for all sorts of reasons and by breakfast time I can feel the back of my neck and shoulders tensing up, followed by headache and the tension never really goes away after that. How do you all manage - both in dealing with things at the time they happen and so far as getting regular "time out" is concerned. It would really help me to know how other people cope.

Don't know whether this would work for anyone but when stress is unexpected, I tend to clench fists, breathe deeply, push the anger down...and then smack the living daylights out of my punchbag ASAP :fight:

Can't help with the answer, I don't cope with stress, how I have managed not to have a stroke or heart attack already quite frankly amazes me sometimes.

I will be watching for others replys though, as it might help!

Can't help either...suffered from migraines for years before Dr took my blood pressure and discovered that it was through the roof..... now I have to deal with the resultant kidney damage. So, whatever else you do or don't do, just keep a regular check on that blood pressure to ensure that it remains at a reasonable level. :wallbash:

On a lighter note it's always nice to have a long soak in a hot tub with some added lavender oil. :)

vodka and more vodka lol

deep breathing if im in a stressful situation outside the house (if that dont work ive got my annadin tabs in my bag and a pk of fags :whistle::whistle:

my relaxation time is my time out time on my laptop chatting to my freinds xxxx

love donnaxxxxx

I tend to take it out on my piano (not sure what it does for everyone else's stress levels, hearing me plonking away, but it makes me feel better :lol:) Failing that, there's always a bar of choccie.

Excercise is very good, too, and I do find that a run helps to clear the mind (and takes away the guilt from having that bar of chocolate :whistle: )

I love reading, which I try to do when I go to bed at night (but I keep falling asleep!).

I play certain CDs (Pachelbel's Cannon in D is my favourite for slowing my heart rate and calming me down).

Dancing and singing round the house.

Lavendar oil.

Craft work. Gardening.

Indian Head Massage is bliss!

Chocolate.

i find singing at the top off my voice chills me out! i do it at work and im always getting caught :whistle: but it helps! i do pity the people who hear me though! and for time out for myself im thinking about joining a choir :D

i suffer from migraines neck tension landveder helps clam me down at night breathing this in it has weird effect on me but it good im would recommend lavender any time! really helps!

I suffer bigtime with neck and shoulder tension as well. I do have a brilliant physio who I try and see for a massage but like always its difficult escaping from the house!!

Having said that my DH bought me a voucher for my birthday - an hour in a flotation tank followed by a hot stone massage and yesterday I ESCAPED for 2 whole hours and it was bliss!! The flotation was weird and I will definitely go again now knowing what to expect. I found it quite difficult to relax but eventually got my body into a totally relaxed state but couldn't switch off mentally. The hot stone masage was divine!!! Highly recomended!!!!

Trouble is you have to go home!!! :whistle:

Stella xx

So stressed at times that I get chest pains and I can't get to sleep (like tonight).

To get things out of my system I need to listen to Led Zeppelin at full blast. Two tracks is enough because I sing along (it's got to be the head banging songs). Once I have screamed like Robert Plant for 10 minutes that's usually fine and then I can go and make myself a nice cup of tea.

I also use relaxation CDs (birds noises and water trickling) which my son also uses to get to sleep.

I have walked around the block many times at full speed when I am angry, slower when I am only irritated.

I swim when I can and walk in the countryside when I can.

Also if I am in a real state I make pastry and is there any thing better than wacking the pastry thinking it is your worst ennemy? I refuse to resort to alcohol because I would be a drunk by now so not a good solution for me! :P:P

I suffer bigtime with neck and shoulder tension as well. I do have a brilliant physio who I try and see for a massage but like always its difficult escaping from the house!!

I'm with you there on the neck and shoulder tension - especially after I've made a social effort with people I don't know really well. It's a great way of measuring how comfortable I feel with people, ha ha. Tensing and relaxing muscles by muscle group from head downwards (progressive relaxation, think it's called) sometimes works really well, even better if I combine it with relaxed breathing - breath in slowly for 3 counts, hold for 3 counts, breath out slowly for 3 counts, repeat for as long as you want (remember to breath out or else you get the wrong kind of relaxed!). I've found a facial treatment including facial massage is really good for relaxing - but not very often otherwise the effect on finances is very unrelaxing. No good at all if you don't like being touched though.

Other things that sometimes work: writing down what's bugging me, cutting back on doing things if I'm too busy, gardening, going for a brisk walk or slow jog, going somewhere away from people and having a good shout and roar, crying, watching a film or programme that makes me laugh.