dapperma

What is your child's obsession??

I read online how so many asd children are obsessed with a specific topic - airplanes, train schedules, etc. I was just curious if you wanted to share what your child has a strong love for.

For me, my asd son (11) has been obsessed with frogs since he was at least 7 or 8. He has had other interest such as weather, anything factual (actually kept a facts book about anything and everything and divided the notebook into sections). He can give you whatever information you want to know about any species of frog - from its length, location, color, etc. It is so amazing to hear him give all the details.

His love for frogs started just out of the blue. Everything is frogs -- his dear sister even gave him a real tree frog for a pet this past Christmas holiday. I am not kidding you he must have 30 or more stuff frogs (of course i am to blame for that). I was just viewing a video of Matt when he was 8 and when asked what he wanted to be when he grows up -- and after much thought -- he comes out with "I want to be a frog catcher when i grow up'".

Anyone want to share?

Hi.Currently Indie music and electric guitars.Fortunately Ben's dad shares the passion for Indie music because I am lost. :lol:

The interest has changed from time to time but the level of interest and enthusiasm is always huge.Karen.

cars, cars and , er, cars :)

He can tell you any make and model, just from the shape. He takes cars to bed with him, and also sneaks them into school in his pocket :shame:

Sean will be 6 in the begining of May and has 2 obsessions. Henry Vaccums (the ones made by Numatic) and Dr Who. He asks everyone he meets if they have a Henry he also knows which shops in town have them and which of our friends/family have them. He can name every one made by Numatic and their names/colours. He loves Dr Who especially the early Drs and will obesses alternativaly.

Thomas the tank(of course) and the Highwaycode....signs signs signs and road maps! Ds is 5 and a half. Signs have been his thing for almost two years now ...yawn.. :rolleyes:

Ben 10, it's all we have to watch and he has just about every toy and accessory possible! It used to be Cars (the film) so we did his room that way and now he hates it and only wants Ben 10, he wants to be called Ben 10, everything about him has to be to do with Ben 10, drives us potty LOL :D

Cam loves wee toy figures and his sand pit, he burries them in the sand with only their heads poking out! over and over again! not sure if i should be worried :unsure:

Thomas the Tank engine, any trains actually, Chuggington, maps, tracks (we have to stop the car and look over bridges at tracks!) etc. etc. bit scared of steam trains though (the noise!). Can't see it ever stopping. . . . .!!!!

My son it is WWE and Lego City and Cars ummm cars lol...the collectable ones and they do my head in cos they bring out new ones each month it seems...wwe he has over 100 figures (managed to get tons off a mate so they were deemed clean n ok by ds!!!!) and lego city but noone can take it apart when it is made...it is played with but never ever allowed to be take apart or moved to a different shelf.

Hiya

Our daughter is mad about animals in particular dog breeds, she can spot dogs in the street and tell you their breed, she is computer mad has played the sims for 5yrs!!!

My DD is currently obssesed with a site called Club Penguin. We are just coming out of the 2-3 year Dora the Explorer phase where she was even speaking in Spanish quite a lot. We have moved into the WALL-E stage!

My DD is currently obssesed with a site called Club Penguin. We are just coming out of the 2-3 year Dora the Explorer phase where she was even speaking in Spanish quite a lot. We have moved into the WALL-E stage!

My son also loves club penguin. We have even started a reward system where if he can go rage free and being physical free (includes ppl and objects - eg.. kicking the walls, throwing himself down on floor when mad, etc..) for 7 days in a row, he earns one month membership on club penguin. I love that site because you can get a membership on monthly basis and not locked into a year. I can also suspend his membership by locking him out. He feels so special since becoming an agent. For now this helps with him being social - it's a start! :)

For me, my asd son (11) has been obsessed with frogs since he was at least 7 or 8. He has had other interest such as weather, anything factual (actually kept a facts book about anything and everything and divided the notebook into sections). He can give you whatever information you want to know about any species of frog - from its length, location, color, etc. It is so amazing to hear him give all the details.

His love for frogs started just out of the blue. Everything is frogs -- his dear sister even gave him a real tree frog for a pet this past Christmas holiday. I am not kidding you he must have 30 or more stuff frogs (of course i am to blame for that). I was just viewing a video of Matt when he was 8 and when asked what he wanted to be when he grows up -- and after much thought -- he comes out with "I want to be a frog catcher when i grow up'".

Frogs :clap: :clap: :clap: That's my obsession too :D :D :D I have 47 stuffed frogs; 15 of them are in my bed with me and I'm running out of room for me! My favourite is from the bear factory and I can buy him lots of outfits and accessories :lol: Lots of my accessories - from my computer 'mouse', to my plate and cup, my money box, stapler etc etc - are frog formed :D

I have small soft frog key-rings that I have attached to all my bags as they have a calming effect on me if I'm getting stressed in any situation. :)

I'm very jealous of the pet tree frog. Which one is it - the red-eyed one or a common tree frog? I'm not allowed pets where I live which is probably a good thing!!!

You probably know it already, but I'll PM you a link to a commercial US site that sells everything frog themed and should give you pressie ideas for the next ten years :) BTW, my frog obsession started for no apparent reason too :unsure:

Edited by Mumble

With my lad it's aquatic snails. :wacko: He spends hours and hours and hours hunched over our pond picking out snails and putting them in little pots to examine them. He loves other critters in the pond too (including frogs), but his fav. thing is snails. He has five pet snails in a tank in his room too. I'm not sure what the fascination is, he stares and stares at them, but I'm not sure what else there is to see that he hasn't seen already a million times. He's forever pointing out his latest finds, excitedly exclaiming 'look at this snail!!', but really, when I've seen one I've seen 'em all. Ho hum.

~ Mel ~

Edited by oxgirl

With my lad it's aquatic snails. :wacko: He spends hours and hours and hours hunched over our pond picking out snails and putting them in little pots to examine them. He loves other critters in the pond too (including frogs), but his fav. thing is snails. He has five pet snails in a tank in his room too. I'm not sure what the fascination is, he stares and stares at them, but I'm not sure what else there is to see that he hasn't seen already a million times. He's forever pointing out his latest finds, excitedly exclaiming 'look at this snail!!', but really, when I've seen one I've seen 'em all. Ho hum.

~ Mel ~

Oooh, careful Mel, I taught a boy with a love of snails and let him bring them in the classroom. We researched them and created a habitat for them in a tank. Well, they were so happy they bred like crazy. The classroom was over-run with snails because the babies came out of the tank when they were teeny tiny (they got through really tiny holes!), then crawled off to grow in little dark corners. I only realised when I noticed one of my displays was strangely chewed....

I had to wait for them to grow big enough then every morning all the children went snail hunting to catch and release them. It took weeks, and even then I'm sure we didn't get them all! :lol::lol::lol:

Oooh, careful Mel, I taught a boy with a love of snails and let him bring them in the classroom. We researched them and created a habitat for them in a tank. Well, they were so happy they bred like crazy. The classroom was over-run with snails because the babies came out of the tank when they were teeny tiny (they got through really tiny holes!), then crawled off to grow in little dark corners. I only realised when I noticed one of my displays was strangely chewed....

I had to wait for them to grow big enough then every morning all the children went snail hunting to catch and release them. It took weeks, and even then I'm sure we didn't get them all! :lol::lol::lol:

Haha, that's great, my lad would love that, snail hunting every morning, he'd be in heaven!! :lol: Actually, in the unit where he is, when they knew he was coming up, they got a fish tank with two fish in to keep him company. There's a little manky pond on the school site so he got two snails out and popped them in the tank in the unit they didn't waste any time, let me tell you, they were at it that afternoon I think! :o The tank is now crawling with tiny babies, but the fish ate some so kept the numbers down somewhat. Two of the snails he had in his tank in his room gave birth to live babies, that was exciting too! :lol:

~ Mel ~

For my girls it has been Dora the Explorer since they were about 2 (they are 5 1/2 now!) Thank god there are some new episodes starting next week on Nick Jr - I think I know every single episode off by heart ! Lol . They can spot Dora on anything a mile away.

Yasmin also is into books, any book, brochure, magazine or anything she can turn the pages of over and over (she cant actually read though)

With my son it is lego. He doesn't obsess in wanting to talk about it. He just builds lego models all day long. So it's all the different types of lego kits. He looks at the lego magazine for hours. He's also into playmobil. And DVDs/TV. Today he spent the whole day making models and watching TV. He didn't even get dressed! He spent all day in his pants. But tomorrow we're out all day, so I let him have a slob day.

We had a very long snail stage too...couldn't pass one without having to stop and say hello to it....we live near a river so popping to the corner shop took an age! Now we have a combination of Dr Who and animals, particularly the small, soft furry sort.

DS1 current obsession is super mario and computers never shuts about them. Over the years thay have changed we have had crash bandicoot, nintindo ds, highway code, clocks, ipods, mainly electrical stuff.

DS2 is currently into power rangers or Ben 10 but mainly power rangers keep getting attacked power ranger style.

Thay both talk about them issesantly. Ds1 is in Gran canaria with grandparents but has just sent a text to wish happy easter and tell me he can get free WIFI from the next hotel. Bless him.

Connor is pokemon mad and had been for the last 4 years he's also getting into gogo's at the moment

Hi,

one of my sons obsessions is printing pictures from his favorite films and books(which he does not like to read although he can read fluently himself!). For hours he would stay on the internet looking for the films and covers of the books and spend all our money on cartridges(if we alow him). He would even sleep with ten -ffteen pictures under his pillow! While he is watching one of his films he would take the picture related to that film and keep it in his hand. He is so passionate about his pictures that he would do even maths ,which he otherwise hates, in order to be allowed to print them. We (as well as his teacher) use them as a reward for good behaviour or work done at school or home. Our house is full of different pictures all over the place which I have to fight with my ds :angry: to put them in order or throu away the ones he does not like any more. He knows every single of them ,even where he put them (inspite all the mess)! :blink:

danaxxx

Can I start by saying how great I think this thread is? Its great to know what else there is out there for people to obsess about as I seem "locked into" Bens obsessions here! :)

Over the time we have had mobile phones, Dinosaurs (constant obsession throughout his time), the Titanic, Yu gi oh and Star Wars

Arrgh! WWE!!!! Ohhh, my head is reeling from the constant flow of wrestler stats, fight stats, and other 'interesting' related information!!!

Ooooh.....Iit doesn't help that I hate the wretched 'wrestling' myself....

Wrestling! Pah! Call that wrestling?? :angry: Jumped up himbos with hammy acting skills and dreadful storylines, dressed in lurid pants and cheesy masks??

In my day, wrestlers may well have been ugly and sweaty and overweight, but they actually wrestled! Good gosh, imagine that! I found a clip of an old wrestling match featuring Big Daddy, and my sons nearly laughed themselves into a hernia..........

Anyway, that and super mario, my lad is obsessed with. Spongebob appears to be on the back burner (never thought I'd say this, but BRING HIM BACK, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, PLEEEEEAAASSEE!!!!) at the moment......

Add to this is my littley joining in with the WWE fests, and a Star Wars fixation......and my OH is guitar daft, so even if I watch something like a music dvd, I get a running background commentary on make, model, which company sponsors which guitarist....

:crying:

Never mind holiday camps for kids, where are the holiday camps for parents??????

:P

Hiya

Our daughter is mad about animals in particular dog breeds, she can spot dogs in the street and tell you their breed, she is computer mad has played the sims for 5yrs!!!

This is my daughter too - the dog breeds. Her other one is teddy bears - she has every dog breed in a teddy and has every teddy she got since birth and even remembers all their names from ten/twelve years ago even after them being in the loft and forgotten about! funny!

hi

my son is wwe mad, i know who has what belt and all the moves they make, if randy ortons does another rko i will have to start doing them myself on dearly loved son lol :fight: he also loves spongebob and tom and jerry which dont mind to much i quite enjoy,

takecare

theresa

im afraid to say my son is thomas mad he wears it,he sleeps in it ,and even eats on it ,and now i am even thomas obsessed always looking for things for him :notworthy:

Not my child, more me.

When In was little, my obsession was world war 2 planes. I remember, aged 4 (now 44) going into the local library with my mum and on the way out, in the foyer, there was an old fella in a blue blazer with an RAF badge on the pocket who was selling paintings of WW2 aircraft. I stood there, looked at one painting and said "wow mum look, a Catalina", a catalina being a WW2 flying boat. The old boy looked stunned and after a few seconds asked if I knew what the other paintings were. I then went on to name every plane in his collection, including the mark numbers, like mk 1, mk2 whatever.

By the age of 8 I could tell you wing spans, engine types, engine power outputs, number of guns, crew numbers and all sorts. Funny thing is, at about 15, I dropped the interest altogether and moved onto motorbikes and memorised every Jap bike since about 1975.

My son who's now 15 went through Pirates, ships, Trains and all sorts until now he's moved onto films and has a remarkable film collection.

Cheers,

J

Arrgh! WWE!!!! Ohhh, my head is reeling from the constant flow of wrestler stats, fight stats, and other 'interesting' related information!!!

Ooooh.....Iit doesn't help that I hate the wretched 'wrestling' myself....

Wrestling! Pah! Call that wrestling?? :angry: Jumped up himbos with hammy acting skills and dreadful storylines, dressed in lurid pants and cheesy masks??

In my day, wrestlers may well have been ugly and sweaty and overweight, but they actually wrestled! Good gosh, imagine that! I found a clip of an old wrestling match featuring Big Daddy, and my sons nearly laughed themselves into a hernia..........

Anyway, that and super mario, my lad is obsessed with. Spongebob appears to be on the back burner (never thought I'd say this, but BRING HIM BACK, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, PLEEEEEAAASSEE!!!!) at the moment......

Add to this is my littley joining in with the WWE fests, and a Star Wars fixation......and my OH is guitar daft, so even if I watch something like a music dvd, I get a running background commentary on make, model, which company sponsors which guitarist....

:crying:

Never mind holiday camps for kids, where are the holiday camps for parents??????

:P

Hahahahahahahahahaha ~I soooooooooooooooo know what you mean bout the WWE im so sick of hearing about it n its his biggest addiction, has been since he was about 4 n he is almost 10 lol.

Currently it is Transformers, not just watching the movie and the cartoon and re-enacting every scene but it is the actual transformation process. Levi has certain clothes that he likes to wear because he can "transform" in them. He stands on the same spot making the transforming noise and dropping to his knees then making the noise and standing up again (his arms perform a vital function also that only he understands!!)

He also transform anything he can lay his hands on, books can transform it turns out and coat hangers are especially good at it :)

I do wonder though if the tide might be turning slightly as he is watching "Night at the Museum" a lot and re-enacting that with his (fortunately) very willing little brother.

My son is so into his guitars at the moment he now has six. He talks non stop about them and about music he has written. He has loved this topic for 5 years now and drums came on the scene two and half months ago what he did not know in two weeks was not worth writing on a postage stamp. We have also had fish cold water, marine and tropical a tank of each of course. Then there was Top Gear. He knew all of Jeremy Clarkson's lines and would say them just before he did. He knew what happened in what series etc, etc.

My son started with anything green, moved onto Thomas the Tank Engine, then came bones and skeletons, then Star Wars, Dr Who, Ben 10 and now Lego Bionicle!

It's amazing the ammount of facts and figures he knows about these subjects and is my grounds for demonstrating to school that he is not stupid.

wow!

well, my ds has been obsessed with plants since he was about 2, growing then, pulling them to pieces, pulling the roots of and thinking they will grow again, drawing them, he spends hours drawing them, we dont have many plants in our garden as we learnt along time ago that these will only get destroyed, he will be 10 this year, at the moment specifically it's pampass grass, tulips and daffodils, the particular focus shifts to things that are about in the seasons, but its mostly all plant related, but he has other passing obsessions, one is mr men, and roald dahl, he HAS to have every book althou he doesnt read them, just draws the covers over and over, and if we dont buy the book he finds it on the internet and either prints the cover or draws it himself