call me jaded

Care home boss 'told police "s***' happens" after autistic resident choked on ham sandwich'

This is tragic, and I sincerely hope all those who were negligent in this young mans care are brought to justice.

............I must add though that I,m no stranger to the care industry.My grandfather suffered dementia and spent 3 yrs in a high dependency unit , and my mum ran a nursing home for 10 yrs.I also have experience of working at a residential school for autistic teens...who have a very high level of dependency and are non -verbal.In all that time I have only ever met the kindest and most dedicated of staff.Who have truly given more than the job required in the pursuit of looking after and caring for those in their care.I want to reassure parents out there that not every care home/residential school etc is anything like this one featured in the article.There are people out there doing fantastic jobs in the caring industry.

That's discusting - would he be saying that if it was his child i wonder :angry:

This is tragic, and I sincerely hope all those who were negligent in this young mans care are brought to justice.

............I must add though that I,m no stranger to the care industry.My grandfather suffered dementia and spent 3 yrs in a high dependency unit , and my mum ran a nursing home for 10 yrs.I also have experience of working at a residential school for autistic teens...who have a very high level of dependency and are non -verbal.In all that time I have only ever met the kindest and most dedicated of staff.Who have truly given more than the job required in the pursuit of looking after and caring for those in their care.I want to reassure parents out there that not every care home/residential school etc is anything like this one featured in the article.There are people out there doing fantastic jobs in the caring industry.

Can only echo Suze's post...

Bid :(

well i think my p can always have a dependable home and care with me for as long as he wants, his bedroom will always be here, i know people say its good for them to be independant,but when i hear of stories like this of very vunerable people left in the care of strangers my instinct to protect him comes on stonger than ever. I am aware hopefully that caring places are ususally good ,and being as he is 9 i know i will have to face letting him have some indepence in the future depending on his abilites, but it is sad terrible that a young vunerable man is so neglected by the people that are supposed to care fo him.

well i think my p can always have a dependable home and care with me for as long as he wants, his bedroom will always be here, i know people say its good for them to be independant,but when i hear of stories like this of very vunerable people left in the care of strangers my instinct to protect him comes on stonger than ever. I am aware hopefully that caring places are ususally good ,and being as he is 9 i know i will have to face letting him have some indepence in the future depending on his abilites, but it is sad terrible that a young vunerable man is so neglected by the people that are supposed to care fo him.

I don't mean to sound harsh, but what will happen when you are no longer around?

We have to equip our youngsters with as much independence as we possibly can and think about what they will do when we are dead, otherwise someone else will decide for them and they may not have their best interests at heart.

Bid :)

Edited by bid

I know i best make sure i don't go to soon, but seriously i know they have to function in the big bad world independently,and it must be very hard to find people you can trust to look after over them,when you are gone.It is a worry.

hideous the article how anyone can say that but someone who supposed to be caring profession helping others through is appauling in anyone eyes how is the world/society coming down to this?! attitudes,morals etc how can that be justified!

XXKLXX