Sign in to follow this  
szxmum

What are AS and autistic behaviours

Thanks to everyone who helped me understand my son's OCD and phobic behaviours.

But...... this got me to thinking ......

What are AS and autistic behaviours and what causes them? Why do they happen?

I apologise for my ignorance but I only know that rocking is a well known behaviour but I've no idea why people rock.

As you can see, I like to learn and understand things but thinking about things just leads to more questions - sorry

Thanks for helping me learn, szxmum xx

From my understanding and experience with my son isthere is often a squew in learning abilities so there is difficulty in overall information processing ie sensory processing etc or visual and auditory processing , so the information processing is not complete but partial. People with asd often have rigid interests as a result and these can become more obsessive when the person is under stress as obsessions and following routines provide security for an asd as the world is very confusing.

My son's obsessions were worse when he was under stress and being bullied etc and not able to communicate etc.

I think rocking is a type of stim so the movement provides a comfort, some kids hand flap, and some do other things, it distracts from sensory overload when stressed and that is why it provides comfort

That is just my take,everyone is different though with how it affects them and constellation of symptoms