Sign in to follow this  
Tempus

Diagnostic Assessment -- what to expect?

I've got my assessment coming up near the end of May, but I have no idea what will actually happen in the appointment. I know that the length of an assessment appointment is typically a couple of hours, but I can't imagine what sort of things could even fill that much time!

The previous (failed) attempt at going for an assessment (CAMHS) at the age of 14 is something that I barely remember either, though even if I did I am sure that there are different diagnostic procedures for different age groups anyway.

Anybody who's been through an assessment for Aspergers as an adult if you could post here with your experiences that would be great :).

Edited by Tempus

Hi

My husband had his diagnosis a couple of years ago when he was 44years and the assessment involved answering questions - lots of them! The questions were not tests but questions about his life experiences and areas of difficulty, as far as I remember. (Seems a long time ago!). I went with him (as requested) and was occasionally needed to confirm things or expand a little more or clarify questions or answers when needed.

Before he went we phoned the centre and asked what would happen on the day and they were very helpful and told us exactly what to expect. Perhaps you could contact the place that you are going to and get some more info?

I think the NAS have some useful advice on their website too about the kind of questions that might be asked. Might be worth having a look?

Good luck

Best wishes

Delyth

Hi Tempus :)

I was diagnosed in 2007 when I was 41. Someone who had known me when I was a child needed to come with me (my mum did), and she also had to answer written questions about me that were sent in beforehand.

Bid :)

Hi Tempus :)

I was diagnosed in 2007 when I was 41. Someone who had known me when I was a child needed to come with me (my mum did), and she also had to answer written questions about me that were sent in beforehand.

Bid :)

Thanks Bid. My mum had to fill in a huge questionairre about me way before this appointment date was set; looking at the NHS website the actual process used is a screening questionaire and then a half-day appointment (which I'm thankful about, as I'm pushing it time-wise anyway).

So in summary I can just expect a very long interview then? I suppose I can live with that, although to me it does seem a bit stupid to conduct an interview when communication difficulties are one of the main issues for people with AS :rolleyes: