Sign in to follow this  
Sooze2

DD refused to do hearing test

Hiya, Following on from my post about one of my twins the other week, this morning she was supposed to have a hearing test at school and point blank refused to go into the room. I wasn't surprised and had warned the nurse that she would probably not want to do the test so she has now been referred to the hospital for them to do it. Problem is that I know she won't do it there without massive amounts of bribes etc etc which I will have to think about and offer something big to get her in the room! How bad is that!

Anyway do average kids act like this - is it common or should I now be going to the doc for a referral. Her twin is now at the stage where she is explaining conversations to her while we are all talking because she doesn't understand what we are talking about (hearing but not understanding).

To be honest my confidence as a parent has now gone back down to where it was when DS was in year 1 and I just feel like I can't be bothered to go through it again. To add to that the lady who has been so helpful with DS said a while ago that girls don't have ASD so I know this one will be harder - if I decide to persue it. Perhaps since she is so nice at school (in class) I should just let her stuggle on with everything else and drop it. :unsure:

Well I don't think you'd be posting here if you weren't going to follow it through. At least this time you'll understand how the system works.

As for the bribe for the hearing test, well the 'end justifies the means' and we would call it a motivator in our house.

As a parent you have to do what you have to do.

Hi.I think it is worth attempting to get the hearing test done.If hearing is an issue then it needs investigating.If it isn't then they will have ruled it out.I am not certain about hearing tests.However as a rule the people who do tests in hospital have loads of tricks to encourage children to comply once you can get your child there.They are used to difficult customers.

When Ben was about four he put a bit of unpopped popcorn in his ear and it got stuck.I tried to get it out,several casualty nurses and doctors tried,the ENT clinic tried....all with great humour and patience.Anyway ended up having to take him in to have an anaesthetic as a day case so that they could manage to get him still for long enough. :D Karen.

Sorry , I was needing a bit of TLC because my first has difficulties and always has so I don't know what Mrs Average acts like, do average kids do this sort of thing at over 6.5. Not seen her freinds do it but don't want to start the whole harrowing process if I don't need to. Weve only just sorted DS out and still going through statementing (or not!) process for him so don't want to go through it all with her if she's just a bit highly strung. Just don't know what to do for the best and a bit down about the prospect of it all really with no family support ot just seems endless and lonely sometimes!

Hi,

My son (5) is notoriously poor at cooperating with anything, he also refused hearing test this year and also wouldn't comply with the first 2 attempts at a Speech Assessment.

The best way I have found around this is to arrange all tests to be done in school, he is far more willing in that environment and also when his teacher asks him to rather than me :rolleyes:

S x

Edit to say: Sorry just realised your DD was in school, guess this doesn't help then. Maybe a bit of bribery then as someone else suggested?

Edited by hamish

Sorry , I was needing a bit of TLC because my first has difficulties and always has so I don't know what Mrs Average acts like, do average kids do this sort of thing at over 6.5. Not seen her freinds do it but don't want to start the whole harrowing process if I don't need to. Weve only just sorted DS out and still going through statementing (or not!) process for him so don't want to go through it all with her if she's just a bit highly strung. Just don't know what to do for the best and a bit down about the prospect of it all really with no family support ot just seems endless and lonely sometimes!

>:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> I wish I could know what is the best thing to do but I don't.Karen.

Hiya, Following on from my post about one of my twins the other week, this morning she was supposed to have a hearing test at school and point blank refused to go into the room. I wasn't surprised and had warned the nurse that she would probably not want to do the test so she has now been referred to the hospital for them to do it. Problem is that I know she won't do it there without massive amounts of bribes etc etc which I will have to think about and offer something big to get her in the room! How bad is that!

Anyway do average kids act like this - is it common or should I now be going to the doc for a referral. Her twin is now at the stage where she is explaining conversations to her while we are all talking because she doesn't understand what we are talking about (hearing but not understanding).

To be honest my confidence as a parent has now gone back down to where it was when DS was in year 1 and I just feel like I can't be bothered to go through it again. To add to that the lady who has been so helpful with DS said a while ago that girls don't have ASD so I know this one will be harder - if I decide to persue it. Perhaps since she is so nice at school (in class) I should just let her stuggle on with everything else and drop it. :unsure:

"Girls don't have ASDs" - that's a new one on me!

Don't feel guilty about asking for assessments or be bullied by being told "there are lots of other children worse that your ds" etc. If you feel she has difficulties, they need to be investigated. You would feel alot worse if you gave up now and then something was found years down the line.

My son failed most of his tests the first time round. He wouldn't say a word on his sight test and afterwards I found out it was because the picture of a 'cow' looked like a dalmatian to him! So when the lady was asking him "can you see the cow", he just didn't reply.

Appearing deaf is a very common 'sign' that alot of children with ASDs have. It can be down to sensory integration difficulties, or attention and focus issues - ie. they are so focused on what they are doing that they can become unaware of people or things in their immediate environment. Yet other children might notice the minutest of changes in detail. It isn't a black or white thing, that is why observations and assessments over a period of time are crucial.

Don't doubt yourself. Be firm and stand your ground. The fact that her twin sibling is having to explain the meaning of language to her would indicate she needs assessing by a Speech and Language Therapist to check all aspects of receptive and expressive language, comprehension, auditory processing etc.

Good Luck with it.

"Girls don't have ASDs" - that's a new one on me!

Don't feel guilty about asking for assessments or be bullied by being told "there are lots of other children worse that your ds" etc. If you feel she has difficulties, they need to be investigated. You would feel alot worse if you gave up now and then something was found years down the line.

My son failed most of his tests the first time round. He wouldn't say a word on his sight test and afterwards I found out it was because the picture of a 'cow' looked like a dalmatian to him! So when the lady was asking him "can you see the cow", he just didn't reply.

Appearing deaf is a very common 'sign' that alot of children with ASDs have. It can be down to sensory integration difficulties, or attention and focus issues - ie. they are so focused on what they are doing that they can become unaware of people or things in their immediate environment. Yet other children might notice the minutest of changes in detail. It isn't a black or white thing, that is why observations and assessments over a period of time are crucial.

Don't doubt yourself. Be firm and stand your ground. The fact that her twin sibling is having to explain the meaning of language to her would indicate she needs assessing by a Speech and Language Therapist to check all aspects of receptive and expressive language, comprehension, auditory processing etc.

Good Luck with it.

Thanks Sally, thats reasuring. What you say makes sence - it's understanding that she has the problem with in every way. All I have to do now is try to get her inside the doctors! Thanks for taking the time to reply. x

Thanks Sally, thats reasuring. What you say makes sence - it's understanding that she has the problem with in every way. All I have to do now is try to get her inside the doctors! Thanks for taking the time to reply. x

Hi.How about a Social Story ?

I don't know if there are any books on ''having a hearing test''.People have certainly produced social stories for similar events such as visiting the dentist or the hair dresser. :) Karen.