Sign in to follow this  
A and A

free nappies

Hello there I have been told that autistic children are entitled to free nappies it seems that it varies in ages from either 3 or 4 can anyone give me any advice on this.

A and A

Hi

Best person to speak to is your health visitor and she will fill out the form for you. We had free nappies for DS1 from the age of about 3 i think until he was 5 and he didn't have a diagnosis back then.

Hi

Best person to speak to is your health visitor and she will fill out the form for you. We had free nappies for DS1 from the age of about 3 i think until he was 5 and he didn't have a diagnosis back then.

hi there thanx for the reply slight problem with speaking to the health visitor as we don't get on as we have had disputes over Liam as we are concerned that Liam is showing signs of ASD but she won't agree so we went to our gp and he agrees so has sent a referral to the Child Development Centre. Can we get the form from anywhere else .

A and A

hi there thanx for the reply slight problem with speaking to the health visitor as we don't get on as we have had disputes over Liam as we are concerned that Liam is showing signs of ASD but she won't agree so we went to our gp and he agrees so has sent a referral to the Child Development Centre. Can we get the form from anywhere else .

A and A

The Child Development Centre will probably have them when you see them.

In our area, you can get them post-3 for a child with a diagnosed disability who wears them day and night. You can't get them for a child only in night-time nappies, and I am fairly sure you won't get them if the child does not have a diagnosis of something (not necessarily asd) but is just slow to toilet train.

If you speak to your local incontinence service they will be able to tell you what the qualifiers are in your area, and may also be able to tell you how to access the service if you do qualify and don't want to go through your health visitor.

A and A

Just to add that we got them for ds when he was 3. I would of thought that as you are waiting for referral to CDC you would qualify? Maybe ask your GP as he seems to be supportive. . . .You might also be able to get some continence advice before your diagnosis too. My son started school in nappies and is now out of them (with some accidents) aged 4 and a half. It is unbelievable considering a year ago we thought there was no chance, just to give you some 'light at the end of the tunnel'. Good luck.

My son had them for night time until he was about twelve/thirteen from about age 8 when we his psych did a referral to the incontinence service as he was appalled that the Gp had taken no action. He had a bladder problem and a diagnosis of ASD/ADHD. We had to fight for them. My daughter had a dx of ASD but we never got nappies for her despite her still needing them at night until she was 7. It seems to vary from area to area. And yes at the grand age of 13 my son is now dry and I'm very relieved! Good luck.

To clarify, you would (or should) get them for a much older child with night-time incontinence, but I suspect around 8 is the qualifying age for this. The reason is that you can only get them once your child reaches the age when a non-disabled child would not need them, and there are more 8 year olds with no disabilities around who still wet at night than you might think, just parents tend not to talk about it!

So from 3 or 4 (depending on your area) you should get them if child needs them day and night; and

from about 8 on you should get them even if child only needs them at night.

hth