Sign in to follow this  
Kinda

Help Resolving Communication/Relationship Problems

Hi

I'm trying to help my son who has AS (undiagnosed but diagnosed as dysphasic) who is 25 and is currently off work due to depression.

He has trouble with relationships and it was only last night when I discussed it with my wife we realised he hasn't made any new friends since he left school. He is very intelligent and sensitive and likes to play hockey but because he is quiet he now seems to be the butt of all their jokes and their behaviour touches on bullying.

My question is that we want to help him but don't know what help there is out there and how have others managed and can improvements be made. I find it very difficult to try and do nothing to help so I'm starting my journey to find out what help is out there.

Any ideas please I feel desperate at the moment.

Kinda

Does he have any other interests where he could meet other people at clubs or even an evening class? Even if the subject matter being taught is beneath him, it may lead to a qualification and shows an interest in continued learning which may help once he is ready to seek work again. Are there any social clubs for people with mental health difficulties? Charities like Mind sometimes run these, I only live in a small town but they run a craft club which meets weekly here. I have not tried it, but I expect they would be a good way to meet people who would be understanding if he has poor social skills.

online friends are great

sorry no real advice really, as I don't tend to socialize either, i have friends i guess at work, but never socialize with them outside work. I gess they are more collegues/work mates rather than real friends. we get along ok in work but thats as far as the friendship goes.

I dont think joining a club or social type thing helps to be honest, as esp if you are quiet you tend to go unnoticed anyway, and people tend to assume that you don't want to be sociable and are happy to be left alone and keep to yourself. Especially if they do make attempts to socialize with you but your reactions/responses are poor and give the impression that ur not interested they soon back off too.

I found the befriending service good, not sure how he would feel about that though, he could be matched up with a 'friend' who he can meet up with and do an activity of his choice.