smiley1590

self harm and depression AS?

is AS ,self harm and depression closely linked and why they all come together? same with anxiety,paranoia,fears and phobias? why we do get them more and seem more common and suffer bad with MH probs? anyone give me information on all of this would be grateful indeed struggling to understand myself at the moment very lost and confused with everything! how best to tackle MH probs when i have AS too! i see MH OT at hosp! and got psyctrist at adult MH team i'm on meds for depression! is suppose to help self-harm,anxiety etc? should i raise with pyschtrist about paranoia,fears and phobias?

take care

XKX

Hi Smiley,

Mental health problems are extremely common with AS.

There are many reasons why people might self-harm, but sometimes it happens because the person cannot verbalise their feelings. People with mental health problems commonly have this difficulty, as mental illness results in feelings which are outside of the normal range. When you have AS as well, this only adds to that communication difficulty, and can make self-harm even more likely. The problem with self-harm is that it becomes addictive as well, so you then have to find ways to break the addiction, AND address the underlying problems that led to it in the first place. Has anyone helped you find ways to cope when you feel like you want to self harm? If not, it would be a very good idea to ask for some strategies.

Many antiderpressants are also thought to be helpful with anxiety as well, but they all seem to affect people differently. If they do not seem to be helping at all, then your psychiatrist might have some other suggestions. If they are helping with some things, but not others, then it might be possible to try a combination of medications, or a different medication which might address all your symptoms. If they are helping a little bit, then your psychiatrist might recommend a higher dose or a different medication.

You should definitely raise ALL of your concerns with your mental health team. They cannot help you if they do not know what is going on. They all have to liase with each other to discuss how best to support you, so you should tell whichever professional you feel able to discuss it with most openly, and they will make sure everyone is made aware. You can always write things down if you find it easier to explain things this way.

i tried different things try and break free from addiction of self-harm helps me cope and block out pain and hurt!my underlying problems depression,low self-esteem and image i write in a dairy this sometimes help me clear my head when my low mood is so deep i don't feel like writing just cutting myself to calm my head down! i tried having a bath but due to my dyspraxia i don't enjoy it! i didn't realise when first started at 14 years old how addictive habit it is! which i knew i'm addicted to the feelings it leave me with at the time like numb blank then feel bad guilty wrong!

i'm on high dose of anti-depressant at the moment so feel many need to combined with something else meds wise for anxiety!i tried to address my MH probs with CBT ,family therapy and now MH OT! to help stop negative thinking and coping! will my AS now always come with MH probs whether they bad will they always be there lurking behind to come back? or can i get rid of them all of good? i don't know why i felt i needed to self-harm but become my saviour when i need head space and time out from reality i get suicidal! im scare myself! when get so confused and desperate to escape i turn to self-harm to get away from depression etc!

thanks you tally for your advice and comments on this personal subject!

XKLX

i've tried elastic bands around wrist this sort gives same feeling that cutting does but crave the actual feeling and red pen on my arms where want to cut this helps but not for long too really! and go for walk but don't like being on my own when that depressed! i get tempted to OD on meds sometimes when really low and down!XKX

Hi Smiley.I do not have AS however I have had times when I have been mentally very unwell.I just wanted to offer some encouragement.Things can feel very difficult but with help and support they can get better.I cannot say that my difficult feelings have gone for good.I still have some tough times.However I have learned to accept myself a bit more.I have found alternative ways to manage when things feel difficult.I no longer think of suicide as one of the options for me.

I have read your other thread and it sounds like there are some difficult things going on in the family.It might be worth remembering that although these things are very difficult things will not always be this way.I know that does not provide a lot of comfort but things can get better.

If you are thinking of taking an overdose on medication please obtain some professional advice urgently.If you are taking anti-depressants and think you might be tempted to overdose I think it would be worth being honest with whoever prescribed them.I think that some anti-depressants are not reccommended for individuals who are considered at risk of over-dose.So it is important to discuss this with a professional.

There is a list of organisations that might be helpful on the Forum.I will find a link for you. :)

http://www.asd-forum.org.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=18801

Edited by Karen A

i'm on mirtazapine 45MG at night! yeah are difficult things going on in the family at the moment! which hard to cope with at times as get stressed and depressed!thanks for the links apprepicate it! i take more meds to try cover my depressive feelings! it mild OD i know no OD is good for you or your mind!i need to accept myself more step by step i'm getting there slowly!i find hard to be up front and honest with my adult MH pyschtrist though! i will get some advice from MH OT! i don't know if this 'more than' depression! and feels it sometimes!

XKLX

i'm on mirtazapine 45MG at night! yeah are difficult things going on in the family at the moment! which hard to cope with at times as get stressed and depressed!thanks for the links apprepicate it! i take more meds to try cover my depressive feelings! it mild OD i know no OD is good for you or your mind!i need to accept myself more step by step i'm getting there slowly!i find hard to be up front and honest with my adult MH pyschtrist though! i will get some advice from MH OT! i don't know if this 'more than' depression! and feels it sometimes!

XKLX

Hi Smiley.

I am not an expert on medication at all.I am not sure if I understand your post so wanted to check something out.

Are you saying that you have taken more medication than you are prescribed ?

If you have taken a mild OD today I think you need to obtain some medical advice now.

I think you need to contact the MH psychiatrist or the MH OT today.

If you do not have an emergency contact number then I think you need to contact your GP urgently or go to A and E.

I do not know enough about mirtazapine to know how much of an OD is a concern.But I think it is extremely important that the psychiatrist is aware that you have taken a mlid OD.

It is also important that the psychiatrist knows that you are feeling very upsett today.

I know from your other post that your gran is very ill today.It is a very difficult time.Things may well feel awful but they will not always feel this bad. >:D<<'> >:D<<'> Karen.

i don't do this anymore though mean't to say in past!

Hi.Smiley. :)

So are you saying this was in the past ?

Are you saying you did not take a mild OD in the last few weeks or days or today ?

I am not offended at all.Iam just concerned for your well being and thought it worth checking that I understood ?

Karen.

NAH HAVN'T DONE ANYTHING I SWEAR!I HAVN'T TAKEN AN OD IN AGES!

That is fine.

I honestly did not intend that you feel worried.

I just wanted to make sure that I understood.

I understand that you are having a very tough day.

I was worried that you might have taken a mild OD and I could not figure out when.

I wanted to make sure you are ok that is alll.

I am not offended. >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> Karen.

IM OK DEFO! WORRYING OVER! I WON'T PANIC YOU LIKE THAT AGAIN! FEEL SO EMBARRASSED NOW! im glad you NOT offended! NAH MA DAYS GOOD FANKS!

Hi.Don't worry.It does not take much to panic me and I did not get much sleep last night.Ben was very sick over most of the upstairs of the house. :sick:

Ben is feeling fine today too and cannot understand why I am attempting to stop him having three big meals. :lol: Karen.

sorry to hear you haven't had much sleep last night brings everything down more if you sleep less! mood etc does he want to eat after being sick yestoday?! LOLX

Yes.Sushi,duck wraps,scampi,garlic mushrooms....he would like any of them.

He is feeling much better and it was about one o'clock this morning.

He cannot understand why I am tired at all. :lol:

He went back to sleep.

Think it was a twenty four hour bug or something.

Certainly not anxiety it is school that causes anxiety and he has never been sick until now which is half-term. :)

I am just hoping that we don't all get it or that diarrhoea will not start later.

I am currently the evil mother that insists on a fairly light diet.Karen.

Edited by Karen A

Hi,

In general, if there is some autistic symptoms from early childhood without speech delay, then it will be considered as Asperger's Syndrome. There are many symptoms we Aspie have, like head ache, stomach ache, tantrum,

panic attack, fear of noise, traumatic things, anxiety, depression and many others. But those come from not directly from Asperger's Syndrome but the stress we have. We AS patients are very sensitive and needs to be provided comfortable living environment. Please refer to my profile. It would be helpful for your further reference.

Goody,

Hi,

In general, if there is some autistic symptoms from early childhood without speech delay, then it will be considered as Asperger's Syndrome. There are many symptoms we Aspie have, like head ache, stomach ache, tantrum,

panic attack, fear of noise, traumatic things, anxiety, depression and many others. But those come from not directly from Asperger's Syndrome but the stress we have. We AS patients are very sensitive and needs to be provided comfortable living environment. Please refer to my profile. It would be helpful for your further reference.

Goody,