Sign in to follow this  
nw1222

anti anxiety meds and treatments

Any advice on anti anxiety medications or treatments for 13 year ols Asperger niece.

GP is not inclined to prescribe meds for this age. I think desperate situation. Child won't get up , wash, dress, has been out of school for six months .

Child is developing fears about own health. Particularly anxious at night.

Scheduled for psychologist in late June , but fear too far away. Does anyone have experience in this area. Thankyou

Hi nw1222.

I have experience of a 10 year old son Ben who was very anxious.We were able to get him up and out to school eventually most of the time but it took 3 hours some days.

Does your niece have any support in school ?

Do you have any idea of what is causing the anxiety ?

Medication may help in the short term .However in the long term it is usually more effective if the causes of anxiety can be resolved and/ or other support is provided to help with learning to manage with anxiety.

Is CAMHS involved and has anyone suggested CBT or counseling ?

Karen.

Hi

Not sure what advice to offer, but one thing I would say is that if things are really difficult you could phone CAMHS directly and state that your niece is having an extremely difficult time. Ask for a cancellation appointment. I'd be very surprised if a GP prescribed anti anxiety meds - normally that would come from CAMHS first. GP is also work contacting again to put a rocket up his/her rear end!

Caroline.

Hi :)

I started taking Prozac when I was 14, my GP did prescribe this straight away as I was suicidal (to kinda pick me up a bit until I got an appointment), but he did refer me to CAMHS and from there it was a combination of the medication and behaivoural therapy. I've suffered terribly with anxiety and panic attacks since I was a small child and I've since seen the difference with taking the medication. I seem to think a lot more logically when I'm taking it.

I hope your niece gets the help she needs!

Edited by Thompsons