keepingmesane

swimming and sensory issues

my parents and i are taking my 4 children on their annual holiday to butlins next week. we dont go away very often and this is our 3rd year in a row of going to the same place.

We all enjoy ourselves there but i have issues with swimming... i cant bear my feet touching the wet floor :tearful: it completely turns my stomach and really makes me feel ill and i cant enjoy myself, i often get myself out of it but with only 3 adults this year with 4 children i have to go as the children love swimming.

can i do anything to make this more bearable? up til now i have always gritted my teeth and got through it but im feeling a lot worse with some of my sensory issues in the last year or so and dont know if i can do it this time. i hate getting undressed too but that one i can manage

also, my youngest lad (4) often wants to go but screams to get out within minutes of being in... we think its because of the noise in the pool as he has sensory issues, is there anything i can do for him?

amazingly though my two asd children actually quite enjoy swimming, jas is obsessed by it so would spend all day in there, but kieran is more sensible and stays in for a short while and then wants out.

thanks in advance x

For a swimming pool it depends what their particular rules are. You can check that out. But you can buy footwear for the sea/water because surfers use them. I don't know what the cost would be, maybe others will post.

I'm not sure what you can do about the sound in a swimming pool. Maybe small ear plugs? Again it depends what they are made of and if they will stay in and not float away!

But my son does need to wear a nose clip and goggles. Without them he just stands in the water. But with them on he actually swims! We only discovered that last year.

Hi.There are various products available that might help.

There are slip on rubber socks that are used by people who do not want to get verrucas.

There are also shoes that are used in the water by people that do aqua aerobics. :)

Neither are very expensive.The sports superstore chain may well have a range of different types you could look at.

There are also wet shoes that are used when swimming on the coast in rocky places.

If the fact that the place is busy is an issue it may be worth starting off going briefly at quiet times.When we go to centreparcs we get up early or go at other times such as lunch time.Indoor fun pools do appear to have particularly bad issues with the sound reverberating round the building. :) Karen.

Edited by Karen A

I have the same problem! My little brother (ASD - LOVES to swim) has swimming lessons every week and I like to go and watch, but it really put me off the first time because I had to take my shoes and socks off :sick: But then my Mum told me that I could wear these things (sorry not very technical!) over my shoes.. They're shoe protectors.. Uhh, you know the kind of things surgeons and such wear over their shoes? They look a little silly, but it's so much better than having bare feet! :thumbs: