Sign in to follow this  
Teresa

Eye sight

Hi all

Just a quick question.

Would like to know if there are any ppl with AS that have bad eye sight?

Reason for asking T has been short sighted since the age of four she's soon to be 19, I thought as you got older your sight

slowed down and became more stable, but T's sight keeps getting worse, she had a eye test on saturday just gone, they

found that she has a distortion behind her left eye, going back this saturday so they can get a better look. No one in the

family that i know of wear's glasses, wonder if it could be related to her AS/HMJ/CFS. I'm sure she will be ok, but being a

mum you can't help but worry.

Teresa :)

I wear glasses and have AS

Personally I have found by sight as got considerably in the last few yrs (Im 23) I regularly headaches due to eye strain

Also my eyes will become very tired and sore when the rest of my feels perfectly fine making it virtually impossible to sleep and virtually impossible to stay awake

I don't know whether there's any connection with AS or CFS (I have both), but I am also very short-sighted. Both of my parents are short sighted, so I assume it was inherited in my case, although my sight is much worse than either of theirs. My brother is also mildly short-sighted, but only needs his glasses for seeing the board in lectures and driving.

I was long-sighted as a child, which is apparently normal. I had my first glasses aged 14, and my sight has got progressively worse since then. I was advised that my sight would be likely to settle down in early adulthood, but I am now 27 and still changing my glasses at least annually for a stronger prescription. I had a rapid deterioration in my early 20s, and the changes now are tending to be smaller.

I do tend to notice small changes to my sight, and often feel I need to replace my glasses even when the optician says the change is only small and I needn't replace them yet. I find it really affects my visual perception and causes me to feel disorientated, and also affects my auditory processing. I feel this is connected to my sensory processing difficulties. I also find the reflections from around the edges of the glasses annoying and am considering trying contact lenses.

It's worth bearing in mind that certain medications can affect your eyesight, including antidepressants, which are often used to treat CFS. However, they don't tend to cause a gradual deterioration over a long period of time unless you are changing medications or doses. It sounds like your daughter already had sight problems before she would have been prescribed them, but they may be adding slightly to the extent of her short-sightedness.

You should discuss any concerns with your optician. They will refer you to an opthalmologist if they feel it is necessary to get a proper investigation.

Personally I have found by sight as got considerably in the last few yrs (Im 23) I regularly headaches due to eye strain

If you have eye-strain you do not have the right prescription and should see your optician ASAP as you longer you leave it the more damage you are causing your eyes.

I wear glasses full-time (well I take them off to sleep :rolleyes:). I broke my glasses on Sunday when I fell over and so have to wear the ones I don't like - same prescription, but they 'feel' different. :unsure:

i have worn glasses since i was 13. i have... whatever sightedness it is you get normally when you're old.

my eyes rotate which is bad and which is good. my prescriptions literally swap eye every year or so... one with a mild prescription, one with a strong one. the optician says its to do with my age, that my eyes can adjust to compensate for their rubbishness, but one will do this better than the other... so when i'm older, both eyes will be rubbish, but at least i wont keep having to change prescription! :huh: i also have something else wrong, and always fail the field vision test with the dots.

I'm AS and beginning to think that I may need an eye test.

Frequently at work and at home i've found myself hunched over my desk when trying to read something on the monitor. It isn't something i'm aware of either, only until i'm at that point where i'm squinting eye to eye with the screen (Which I normally find either too bright or too dim anyway). This has been gradual for a while now and in reflection I find that when I sit 'normally' I end up with one heck of a headache.

Thing is, when it comes to reading papers, road signs, number plates, books etc i'm fine, though I can only do so in certain lighting otherwise I have great difficulty concentrating and end up feeling extremely tired but unable to sleep.

Like Ricayboy, I've found this getting more severe as time has gone on. I'm 29 now and this has probably been an issue for me for the last 10 years.

If you work with computers, your employer should provide you with free sight tests at regular intervals. In any case, it does not do any harm to get one.

eye tests are always free now anyway weather u work with computers or not! well in scotland they r free anyway!

eye tests are always free now anyway weather u work with computers or not! well in scotland they r free anyway!

Us south of the border have to pay unless unless you get free prescriptions.

If you have certain medical conditions you may also get free tests.

And some opticians do free test to drum up trade.

Edited by chris54

eye tests here are free but u do have to pay for ur specs. i need new specs actually but the only ones i like are amlost exactly the same as the ones I already have, but may end up just getting them! lol

i wear glasses and have asd. i have something called astigmatism its where the eye is oval and the vision is blurred. i have to wear glasses for a long time.

if you have income support and is 19 then your able to get eye sight tested for free, but you have to pay for the glasses.

yup thats the same as me, i have astigmatism too.