Sign in to follow this  
loobylou2

Got to have an op

Not been very well for a year with 'womens problems' :tearful: Been told I got to have either Thermal Ablation (womb lining burned out) or Hysterectomy. I'm 34, never had any sort of op before and pretty scared! :unsure: Just wondering if any of you ladies out there have had the Ablation, did it work for you and how uncomfortable/painful was it?

Hi Looby,

I faced the same choice and had the thermal ablation. It was day surgery, under a general anaesthetic. I think it's very straightforward usually, although I did end up back in hospital with an infection.

Once that was sorted it has been absolutely brilliant! I had awful gynae problems for all my adult life, but wanted more children so nothing much could be done. Many women have no periods after a thermal ablation, but I do have maybe a couple of days of very, very light bleeding (almost nothing at all).

Personally, I would go for the thermal ablation as a first approach as it is far less invasive, and if it doesn't work then you can think about a full hysterectomy.

Good luck, and don't be too worried: it was the best thing I ever had done :)

Boho >:D<<'>

Thanks Bid....worried cos my local hospital do it under a local anaesthetic....and the thought of injections in there doesn't do a lot for me tbh! My periods are really heavy and won't stop for months......Bled from Sept-Dec last year then nothing til May this year and still going :( Have tried loads of meds and Mirena coil but nothing worked so an op is the next step

I too was offered ablation due to realy horrendous heavy periods the sort where you cant leave the house i was that aneamic id to undergo a blood transfusion.I was never offered a hysterectomy i wouldnt have one anyway.I panicked and chickened out of haveing the ablation i was scared of the aneasthetic and worried that if it went wrong id be left in a worse state.

http://www.hysterectomy-association.org.uk/forums/ i used to visit this forum its brilliant for getting information and advice from women who are in the same position or have undergone treatments.

I had thermal ablation done nearly two years ago because of disabling periods(every month it looked like someone had been murdered in the bathroom). Easy surgery done under general anaesthetic. In hospital early afternoon and home by 7pm and no major pain... BUT I can't say that my problems have been solved and now I have to consider the BIG one and I am postponing that as long as I can put up with things. Also re children I was told that you can still get pregnant after thermal ablation but your body cannot sustain pregnancy therefore miscarriages. So it is not a contraceptive. It seems to work wonders for some people, I hope you are one of them.

Good luck!

Mel

Thanks everyone :) Will have a looksee at that forum Paula, thank you.

Frogslegs, had been told about the miscarriage part, so can't see the point in having the ablation if a) you musn't get preg and B) it might not work anyway! Have heard from another friend that she had had it and it hadn't worked for her either.I just can't face months and months of non-stop heavy bleeding any more....just want it over and done with really but flippin' scared at the same time! :tearful:

Thanks everyone :) Will have a looksee at that forum Paula, thank you.

Frogslegs, had been told about the miscarriage part, so can't see the point in having the ablation if a) you musn't get preg and B) it might not work anyway! Have heard from another friend that she had had it and it hadn't worked for her either.I just can't face months and months of non-stop heavy bleeding any more....just want it over and done with really but flippin' scared at the same time! :tearful:

I think the real down side of a full hysterectomy is the fact that the recovery time is so long, and you can't drive for 6?? weeks, etc. It is major abdominal surgery and you need someone at home as you need a lot of looking after, plus no lifting for 6 weeks too, etc..

The ablation is a day case, relatively painless (more discomfort) and back to normal within a couple of days or so.

My periods would last for weeks at a time (worse case was 6 months!!) and very, very heavy plus very bad pain from endometriosis too. Since the ablation, my periods last for a couple of days and hardly anything at all...plus the endo pain has completely disappeared. I think I'm right that the majority of women have no periods at all afterwards.

I was scared too, and worried that I should have gone for the full hysterectomy. But I'm so glad I tried the ablation first. I think the hysterectomy would have been a nightmare with children to look after.

Good luck on your decision >:D<<'>

Bid :)

Having had two C sections I am familiar with recovery process which is fairly close I am told with hysterectomy. My concerns are about all the rest, i.e having to take hormone replacement, skin aging, libido, bla bla bla being an old lady at 44 :tearful: !

:) Thanks Bid, guess I'd best wait and see what the gynae says before I start panicking!

Froglegs, hormone replacement isn't necessary if they leave the ovaries, only if they take them out as well. My skin looks ancient any way cos I'm so knackered with having to get up and 'sorted out' several times a night! Lol Libido isn't a problem at the mo as there's no chance any way ;-)

Thanks everyone for speaking up and telling me your stories, will let you know how I get on

>:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>