Sign in to follow this  
Mak66

Encourage Talking

Hi,

Just wondered if any of you had any pearls of wisdom for encouraging a non-verbal ASD child to talk. My son is almost 3 and a half now and does not talk, he has a couple of words, if you really push and look for them, but he seems reluctant to use them, or try to make any new word-like sounds. Am concerned as he is getting towards the point of going to school, so if there is anything that might help I am willing to give it a try!

So far all the proffesionals are concerned about his communication and understanding, which seems to be really good (as far as I can tell) but no-one has suggested anything to encourage the verbals.

Any advise or help would be appreciated!

Thanks a lot.

Mak

Does your son repeat back what you say to him, or repeat things he has seen or heard on TV or on films?

As he is not very verbal I presume a SALT is involved. Are they suggesting using picture symbols at all?

Does your son tend to do everything on his own and only come to you to meet his needs?

Does he ever bring things to show you.

Does he have any interests?

Sorry for the delayed response....

He doesn't repeat back what we say at all.

Not heard of SALT, they are not involved, at the moment we communicate with talking and using Makaton signing.

He likes to play with us, and will ask us to play any number of activities with him, he does this by either taking us to the toy, or signing to us to tell us what he wants to play.

He brings jigsaw puzzles for us to do with him, and he takes us to other things he wants to play with.

He enjoys playing with his trainset and jigsaw puzzles, and loves to run around and climb etc, and often likes to be chased in the garden.

Sorry for the delayed response....

He doesn't repeat back what we say at all.

Not heard of SALT, they are not involved, at the moment we communicate with talking and using Makaton signing.

He likes to play with us, and will ask us to play any number of activities with him, he does this by either taking us to the toy, or signing to us to tell us what he wants to play.

He brings jigsaw puzzles for us to do with him, and he takes us to other things he wants to play with.

He enjoys playing with his trainset and jigsaw puzzles, and loves to run around and climb etc, and often likes to be chased in the garden.

SALT is a Speech and Language Therapist and I presume one must be involved???

If he is initiating play and interaction to the extent your post suggests, is everyone involved convinced this is an ASD?

For example, my son will ask me to play with him, but it is not to the same level of another child. And his play skills are developing, but again are no where near the play skills of his peers.

He has seen a speech therapist, but not for speech therapy, he has gone for social play skills rather than verbal skills.

Unfortunately I don't know how his asking for play compares with a non ASD child, but he prefers to be in company where possible. He had his hearing checked and it came back as fine. He has limited imaginative play, and most of that is from copying us, so not really imaginative. I'm not sure if everyone is convinced on his diagnosis, he is due to be seen by his consultant in the next few weeks, perhaps we will know more then. Its just difficult, and some starts of words he started to say he has stopped, and I worry its falling into the same pattern as before he was diagnosed where he would say a word, then not bother...

Perhaps I just need to wait and see what happens, the nursery seems to think it will come, and the group he goes to on wednesdays for communication and play skills seem very positive. I suppose if there is something that I can do, or a technique I could employ to encourage the sounds, I would like to. So far the help we have had has been very good, but as he seems in the most part to not exhibit many ASD traits, we are focusing on the talking, which the help does not seem to be, at least not yet.

perhaps you could move on from makaton towards full sign language, so that he can express himself in more depth? it might work against getting him to actually speak though, as he wouldln't need to verbalise at all. i suppose it depends on what you/the medical professionals want to achieve.

picture symbols and progressing on to PECS?

when he points to a picture encourage to say the word as well.

e.g jigsaw or cars? he will point to a picture and u just repeat the word for him, jigsaw?

this also teaches how to make choices. and also helps to teach word recognision too, as the word tends to be written on the card too.

but your son is still very young,

or when offering food or a drink.

orange or blackcurrant? show both bottles, he points to one he wants, and you then repeat.......orange. hopefully in time he will manage to repeat what you have said.

sorry not to have more advice, as it all seems very 'simple' but thats all i would attempt at this stage.