Cariad

The longest being out of school?

What is the longest a child has been without a school.. I'm just wondering as we are almost on our 5th month with no school with no hope of one for the rest of the year so say 10 months of no school.. Is there a certain amount of time the LEA can look for a school, do they see if a place comes up? What happens? Could it be possible he never returns to a school?

It's just getting more and more hopeless.. T's moods of frustration are through the roof. all weekend he has been a ball of rage and uptight it's really wearing us out.

Edited by Cariad

6 months, then a place at a residential special school for AS.

Has your LA provided some form of education other than at school, e.g. home tutors?

Bid :)

I don't think there is a limit. As long as the LA are looking for places.

The LA cannot magic places out of nowhere, so for example if your child is a girl with AS or if you do not want your child to go residential, the options will be very limited.

However, the LA are never going to put as much effort into finding a place as you are, so it is always good to do your own research. If you find a suitable place, the LA can hardly say no.

Bid he has 5 hours of tutoring a week, an hour a day..

Kazzen161 I've looked around and found the perfect school but it's in another borough and their LEA say it's full even though the Head says it isn't..

Enid that's awful, what help did you get in those 14 months.. what happened?

My son was out for 5 years yes that's right 5 years :o Of course that was a few years ago now. He was 11 when he had a breakdown and he never got back to school. He was in year 11 when my husband said that because we had been un-offically home educating him during the last 5 years that we might as well make it official. he was very cross because during that time the school continued to receive funding for our son. We were offered two unsuitable placements although we did try them both. Had home tuition which was carried out by someone who had no understanding of autism at all and who was an Art teacher (which we had nothing against) but we were quite capable of picking up his school work and bringing it home for him to complete.

Cat

Edited by Cat

My son was out for 5 years yes that's right 5 years :o Of course that was a few years ago now. He was 11 when he had a breakdown and he never got back to school. He was in year 11 when my husband said that because we had been un-offically home educating him during the last 5 years that we might as well make it official. he was very cross because during that time the school continued to receive funding for our son. We were offered two unsuitable placements although we did try them both. Had home tuition which was carried out by someone who had no understanding of autism at all and who was an Art teacher (which we had nothing against) but we were quite capable of picking up his school work and bringing it home for him to complete.

Cat

OMG that's terrible, so you home ed your son now? We just want a school with a unit, it makes me angry that if he was DX properly when he was 7 he wouldn't be going through all of this now!

Bill was out of school for about 13 months. If the LEA had done their job properly and I hadn't had to take them to tribunal it would only have been for about 6 months.

While we were waiting to go to tribunal he had a home tutor provided by the LEA for 5 hours a week.

Flo'

OMG that's terrible, so you home ed your son now? We just want a school with a unit, it makes me angry that if he was DX properly when he was 7 he wouldn't be going through all of this now!

My son is 22 next month and we un-officially home educated him from the age of 11 and officially from him being 15. He was in year 7 when he had a breakdown which followed him being hit by a car on his way to school, he never returned, and he was in year 11 when we finally pulled the plug and became official home educators.

Cat

Kazzen161 I've looked around and found the perfect school but it's in another borough and their LEA say it's full even though the Head says it isn't..

Can you get the Head of that school to confirm, in writing, that he does have a place for your son?

Over a year is not uncommon. We have found in my LA that if you get lawyers involved (who basically say "this child is entitled to full-time education") then it gets going (but still takes 6 months). There's no point in going to lawyers unless you know what school you want, though.

Cariad I'd ask your SEN dept to speak direct with the school. My LA does not call provision 'units' precisely to avoid other LAs filling it up.