Sign in to follow this  
call me jaded

Swine flu

DS has been ill this week - he got sent home with a temperature when I was on a course on Thursday. Open my post from yesterday and apparently they're fairly sure that staff and pupils have swine flu, just waiting the results. Think DS does actually have whatever it is that's going through the school as he had a horrible temperature and did not eat anything at all for 24 hours (for a teenager that's unheard of) and wanted to go outside and sit on the swing seat at 3.30am on Saturday morning.

Whatever it is he's past the worst of it, though clearly not at his best.

DS has been ill this week - he got sent home with a temperature when I was on a course on Thursday. Open my post from yesterday and apparently they're fairly sure that staff and pupils have swine flu, just waiting the results. Think DS does actually have whatever it is that's going through the school as he had a horrible temperature and did not eat anything at all for 24 hours (for a teenager that's unheard of) and wanted to go outside and sit on the swing seat at 3.30am on Saturday morning.

Whatever it is he's past the worst of it, though clearly not at his best.

Oh... scary :tearful: . Glad he's almost there, and hope if it takes a bite from the rest of you that it's very small bites. :pray:

Saw a headline about a case/cases (?) at Glastonbury which sort of brings it into perspective; and quite off-putting considering we're at a similar event next w/e...

Hope you get the all clear for all of you soon.

L&P

BD :D

Well he's still not eating much at all. Definitely viral, still waiting. Can list a handful of schools nearby that have cases but are not closing so we are surrounded :ph34r:

Famous last words - everybody else OK so far.

Edited by call me jaded

nah they r not bothering to close schools, well they didn't up here, even when they had a few cases, and most children have recoverd well and not developed any complications.

Incubation period is 7 days for swine flu but symptoms normally appear b4 that, hopefully u manage to avoid it! I have managed to avoidd it so far.

Hope he feels better soon

Can anyone tell me how you know if it is swine flu rather than any other flu?

Only because someone takes swabs and sends them off to the lab. Waiting for the results of earlier swabs before they do DS. Although he has been quite ill, it's just been like the other viral illnesses he is prone to.

There are not really any other strains of flu going around at the moment. If you do have flu (as opposed to a bad cold), it's probably swine flu.

Well it's official, DS has 'in all probability' had SF according to the conversation I've just had with the GP.

Glad it's all done and dusted, then, and hope the rest of you managed to avoid it. Any idea how long until you can safely say you've got away with it?

DS got struck down 9 days ago - we have all escaped so far. Must be all the immune-busting anti-oxidants I keep feeding us all in the hope that DS's immune system gets stronger. :)

We got a letter through the post this morning saying a child at our lad's school has been confirmed as having SF. Apparently responding well to treatment and the school has been advised they don't need to take action and we shouldn't be overly alarmed! :unsure:

~ Mel ~

Hi all.I am not around so much at the momment but thought I would drop in.

J our elder son [13] has what is most likely swine flu.We live in London and there have been numerous cases at school and in the community.They are only diagnosing on the basis of symptoms now.However he has all of the common symptoms.

J has been prescribed tamiflu which after some thought we are giving.It does have side effects.

I thought I would say just in case anyone is worried J is not too unwell really.If I did not know I would have said he had ordinary flu.

Ben is at a different school [primary] and is in school today.The advice now in our area is that family who are well do not have to stay home.

I have to say that OH,myself and Ben are wondering who will be next.The timing is not good.We have three important meetings tom re transition.I also have a family funeral which will probably be next Wedensday . :tearful:

Thinking of you crew. >:D<<'> >:D<<'> :) Karen.

Hi Karen

Just wanted to say I'd noticed you were not around - I missed seeing Bender :whistle:

Hope SF is kind to you all and you manage to juggle appointments and the family funeral without too many difficulties.

Thinking of you >:D<<'>

From what I now about flu of any type, if she was taken ill on Monday and will be fit to go back to school tomorrow it was not flu. If you have true flu you are unable to do much more than get out of bed for the first week and at least another week to recover. There are a lot of viruses that are described as flu like but are not true flu. These viruses only give you mild symptons ,which is what most people have had when they say they have had flu.

Yes it does seem bizarre, doesn't it. She was a little unwell on Sunday, had a temperature of 38.5 degrees on Monday. She is fine today. DS on the other hand (same initial symptoms) couldn't move for a week. It does seem very mild if you are in good health. They're not giving Tamiflu here. DS's school staff properly diagnosed with swabs, by the time it got to DS they've said wait for the results and let us know, and then they dx SF 'in all probability' once I'd told them they were positive. 10 days later phoning the GP it was yep, SF don't need to see her and a discussion of what to do if she got worse. Eight in her class are off with it. The others keep going down to get their temperature taken in the hope that they get sent home.

I feel quite rotten today, temp., sore throat, whoozy, headachy, upset tum. Called GP surgery to ask what I should do and they told me to phone NHS Direct. I thought it had to be confirmed or swabbed or something?!

~ Mel ~

I feel quite rotten today, temp., sore throat, whoozy, headachy, upset tum. Called GP surgery to ask what I should do and they told me to phone NHS Direct. I thought it had to be confirmed or swabbed or something?!

~ Mel ~

In a lot of areas there's so much flu that they're not doing the swabbing anymore and neiter are they giving out Tamiflu as though it was sweeties. If you're in an at risk group you should still be offered Tamiflu otherwise they should just log you as a presumed case and you should treat yourself as for any other flu (fluids, rest, paracetamol and watch for escalating symptoms). It seems to be rife in my neck of the woods (Herts) and I guess it's just a matter of time for me and my boys! Hope you're feeling better soon.

janine

~ Mel ~

If attempting to call NHS direct expect a delay.It took 10 hours for them to get back to me on Tuesday.The latest information is on NHS direct web page.In my area they are giving out tamiflu following telephone assessment from a GP.So it may be worth phoning the GP.In my area [London Tower Hamlets] they now have a central collection point for Tamiflu.The GP issues a form which is collected by someone who is well which is then taken to the Tamiflu collection point.

J is not as well today as yesterday.He is coughing like an old smoker.

We are doing ok so far. :rolleyes::)

They have given up swabbing and contact tracing.Karen.

At last, a positive to ASD and lack of contact with people ... :rolleyes:

In my area they are giving out tamiflu following telephone assessment from a GP.So it may be worth phoning the GP.In my area [London Tower Hamlets] they now have a central collection point for Tamiflu.The GP issues a form which is collected by someone who is well which is then taken to the Tamiflu collection point.

What do you do if you can't use a phone (communication diff.) and don't have anyone to collect for you? :unsure:

I'm fine, just would like to know what to do if I were to get flying pig cough because I am in a high risk group, am unwell and have already been advised that I need to watch out for symptoms because it could be more dangerous to me.

I'm fine, just would like to know what to do if I were to get flying pig cough because I am in a high risk group, am unwell and have already been advised that I need to watch out for symptoms because it could be more dangerous to me.

They have been saying on Capital FM that people in London who develop flu symptoms should stay at home, take medicines to treat the symptoms and drink plenty of fluids, but that people with other medical conditions should contact their doctor on NHS Direct if they develop flu symptoms.