Sign in to follow this  
Sooze2

I so wish he didn't have to do spelling sentences

He still has no idea how to make a sentence up especially when he doesn't really understand the word. We stopped after the word Jokingly (sencence 5) because it took ages to make up (done by me in the end) he didn't really understand what it meant and he had spelt most of the words he had to write the 10 sentences about wrong in the first place!!! Why do they send them home without checking them????? In the end I wrote "He seems to have spelt most of his words wrong and doesn't he do homework club anymore?" at the end because I could stand no more. :rolleyes:

I help my son with his spelling. If I feel that the homework is too much for him then we cut it down, so we will do three sentences instead of ten, but do those properly. This year (year 5) we have a 'project' to do weekly, so one week English, another week science...At the beginning of the year we struggled because although DS had very good ideas, he could not spell and write well enough to do it on paper in reasonable time and it would systematically end up in tears and stress. So I went to see teacher and we now do the work on Powerpoint. That way he has done the thinking and avoided the frustration, so he is a winner. We need to work with their strenghts rather than against them and if I did everything the way they say he would not want to do anything at all. I think you need to work with the teacher who should be able to understand your son's abilities and adapt the homework accordingly.

He still has no idea how to make a sentence up especially when he doesn't really understand the word. We stopped after the word Jokingly (sencence 5) because it took ages to make up (done by me in the end) he didn't really understand what it meant and he had spelt most of the words he had to write the 10 sentences about wrong in the first place!!! Why do they send them home without checking them????? In the end I wrote "He seems to have spelt most of his words wrong and doesn't he do homework club anymore?" at the end because I could stand no more. :rolleyes:

We were sent something by the SALT that may help with this type of difficulty. They had colour coded all of the words eg. blue for nouns, green for verbs etc. Then there was a picture flash card and you have to pick the words and make a sentence that fitted with the picture. It might be that he needs to specifically work on this skill as his homework maybe too difficult for him.

They are also introducing a way of introducing new words called networking. This means that when the class move to a new subject the key words will be taught to my son and they will be taught in a way that links the new words with old words he knows so that there is a higher chance that he will categorise the new words correctly which will in itself help with memory and information retrieval.

If you think the above would be helpful I would be asking school to get in touch with the SALT, or phone them yourself and ask them if they can do similar things in school which you can practice at home.

There has to be 'understanding' behind what they are trying to learn otherwise they simply with not remember it because it means nothing to them.