Andy

Help! Stop me clouting someone

I work in a school and have a DS of nearly 5 diagnosed with Autism about 1 year ago.

Working in a school, special needs is often discussed throughout the day, however one lady (unaware of my childs disabilities) see the very mention of special needs, as an opportunity to impersonate and make fun of a sterotypical disabled child, with voice and co-ordination issues to boot, which her colleages seem to find slightly amusing.

I feel the anger rise in me every time, and pretend to look busy. I don't have to work with this woman very often, and she is a very likeable lady in other ways.

Am i being over sensitive? I feel really angry about it, but don't know how to approach it without being classed as 'touchy'.

Should i say something? or maybe write an anonymous letter? I am worried that the longer i ignore this the more likely it is i will oneday snap!

You don't need to get angry or anything...

Next time she does her 'impression', just say clearly: 'I have a disabled child'...

...and watch her squirm!

Bid :devil:

I would catch her on her own, and explain to her how much it offends you when she does this. If she then continues to do it, do as bid says: "How strange - my son doesn't act like that" in front of everyoone.

I agree with others - I would say something next time. Just explain quietly that it makes you uncomfortable when she does that. Unless she is particularly pig headed and aggressive (and it sounds as though she isn't ) she will probably apologise and that will be the end of it.

K x

Rather than a confrontation, I would probably take the route of mentioning it to someone who is in authority over her. Maybe the head?? And just say that it makes you feel very uncomfortable and would they have a word with them because you don't think it is appropriate and if something isn't done you will snap and say something to her infront of everyone and that will make for an awkward time for everyone. It depends on your own personality really and where you think you are with relationships with other staff members and pecking order etc. Someone else might find it better to say something when she is in mid flow. I do have an older sister who has learning difficulties and this is something I have always struggled with because people are ignorant and will say and do things all the time and you cannot be 'on a mission to educate 24/7'. I specifically remember as a child that the favourite buzz words on the playground were 'spaz or mong' and every time I heard it I felt it physically. But this is your work environment and therefore I think you do need to sort it otherwise it will rankle and your behaviour will alter and no-one will know why. She shouldn't be making fun of this child anyway, because that will influence how staff members respond to this child. And TBH, if you do mention it and it causes alot of bad feeling etc, then maybe that isn't the right work environment for you to be in anyway.

I wouldn't go for a line manager approach, just find a colleague at the same level as her and ask them to speak to her on your behalf. Then be quite friendly with her as if it has never happened.

Theres some good advice on here, guess it depends on your personality which approach you prefer. I'd probably do what bid said :thumbs:

Related to that, it really upsets me how autism/aspergers is starting to be used as a casual insult, in the same way as "spastic", "schizophrenic" etc can be. There's a particular writer in a Sunday paper who often uses the phrase "social autism" to refer to someone in a derogatory way. I think its inexcusable & went as far as writing in to complain, but never had a response :wallbash:

get her in the corner when no ones around and smack her straight in the mouth :blink: then again you want to keep your job so just say oh by the way my sons disabled and like someone said watch her squirm,if she dont squirm do the smack in the mouth bit!!!! >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>