Sign in to follow this  
A and A

first assessment for a child showing asd signs

Hi there we have a loveable boy who will be three in october and he is showing all the signs of being a autistic child, he has his first assessment at the child development centre next monday and I am worried about what is involved and what will they do while we are there, and what is a CARS form.

A and A

I don't know about specific assessments and forms as professionals tend to have their favourite ones that they use. When we began the process with my son at 4.5 years old, the first professional to see him was the Speech and Language Therapist. She used alot of picture flashcards to ask him questions to see how he reacted. Typically he totally ignored some of her questions, gave totally unrelated answers to some questions and fixated on other pictures and wanted to see them again and would not continue unless she showed them to him. She observed him in a typical classroom setting and how he managed (or rather didn't) with the verbal instructions in the classroom. She also come to our home with some toys and played some games with him to see what he did. She set up some specific situations to see what his reaction would be eg. giving him a puzzle with a piece missing. She also played with a toy that would be interesting to a child to see if he would try to take it or ask for it.

Then we went to the Developmental Paediatrician who asked us lots of questions whilst my son was allowed to play with some toys in her room. There was an assistant who again was there to play with him, but he ignored her. And when the DP tried to talk to him he ignored her, and when she placed her hand on his shoulder he pushed her away. He didn't ask us any questions whilst we were in the room, and to me he seemed 'more autistic' in that setting than he is at home. But I suppose that is the whole point. That they get used to familar surroundings and routines at home and then struggle when they are out of them. The DP also went into the school to see him in the class room.

The Clinical Psychologist again saw me and my son. She again asked lots of questions. She was definately filling in some kind of assessment form, but I don't know which one it was. Again my son totally ignored me and the other woman and played with some toys. She asked him some questions to see what his response was, and she also told him some things which were strange eg. I like to eat worms - to see what his response was.

Your child is younger and I believe less verbal than my son was at 4.5. So I think alot of it is going to be questions and answers and observations and some interaction and play to see how they respond.

I was with my son all the way through so don't worry that they will remove him from you. And if you don't understand anything do ask them. This is your chance to ask them questions and to get them to explain some things to you if they can. If there is anything you are not happy about you don't have to agree to it. And usually there is more than one appointment with each professional as they like to get at least two opportunities to see any child with a space of a couple of months inbetween appointments.

My son did not have any additional health checks such as blood samples or MRI scans.

I meant to say questions and answers of the parents, not the child.

I did also offer to video my son at home because I felt he was different in that environment and they agreed. And although he was 'better' she did explain to me afterwards how although he had been playing with his sister it was still in a recognisably 'autistic' way as he struggled with any dialogue and wanted to keep to the same rigid repetition of the game.

Hello, usually at the CDC your there for a whole day or 2 day assessment and see different professionals such as pead, SALT, physio, eyes, hearing etc. You will be asked about diet, sleeping etc, free play and more structured play and a professional will want your son to complete some early learning tasks. The CARS is Childhood Autism Rating Scale. Hope this helps and good luck. Everyone involved should keep you informed with what is going on. XXX

Hi, we saw paediatrician who asked me lots of question and then spent an hour or so asking ds to do different tasks (puzzels and colours etc)

He then refered ds to CDC and ds attended one day a week for almost 4 months. At this point he was given dx and was discharged.

He did lots of activities whilst there and it was a bit like nursery, but he was being assesed. he also had additional appointments with a clinical psycologist,speach and language therepist and paediatrician during this time that I was able to attend.

My son was 3 and half at the time.

Before his first session alone at cdc the centres co-orditator had a good chat with me and ds played with the toys and was shown around, the next week when I had to leave him I was a bit tearful and nervous but he had a nice time.

I hope it goes well for you x

Hello, nice to see you back. Hope your appointment goes well. Mine was very low key, the paediatrician asked us parents lots of questions and a health visitor played with my son and observed his playing skills (or lack of! :whistle: ) and eye contact etc. Our son was always with us except for when he was observed in nursery and he didn't have blood checks etc. Let us know how you get on.

Hello, nice to see you back. Hope your appointment goes well. Mine was very low key, the paediatrician asked us parents lots of questions and a health visitor played with my son and observed his playing skills (or lack of! :whistle: ) and eye contact etc. Our son was always with us except for when he was observed in nursery and he didn't have blood checks etc. Let us know how you get on.

This was similar to my son's assessments except for the health visitor bit. It was all very low key with lots of questions etc. She assessed his imaginative play by doing certain things which he didn't do very well at. The OT played snakes and ladders with him for a while to try and explain that taking turns and winning and losing were fun etc he rocked precariousely on one leg of the chair and couldn't sit still at all, humming away as she talked to him, couldn't look at her was bluntly honest when he answered her questions and then cracked up laughing when he won the game and she pretended to get grumpy and threw the dice across the room to show him what he does and asked him if he thought what she did was ok and how did it make him feel etc - he told her she looked silly and shouldn't act like that because it was only a game. It didn't change the way he reacted when she won though which also showed that he isn't in controll of it dispite him seeing how it is when someone reacts like him in certain situations. That was when she referred him for his diagnosis. He was almost 9.

I hope it all goes well for you.

Guest featherways

Top tip: Have something quiet and nice planned for later that day - something to treat yourself to. If they say it's a yes, you'll feel so shocked, even if you were half way expecting it. And if they say it's a maybe, you'll need to calm down from the stress of still not knowing...

Hope it goes smoothly