smiley1590

is this connected to stress anxiety?

when anxious or stressed i wrech my throat feels like going to be sick that kind of action though it doesn't happen it horrid because actually believe going to be sick so is it connected to anxiety and panic? anyone been in similia personal situation it hard to explain what happens to me! i swallow hard too so don't know it does this! puzzled confused lost evern though i feel sick i swallow deep it weird strange

XKLX

Guest featherways

It sounds like it is connected to stress, yes. If it's worrying you, might be worth a chat with the GP to see if they have some ideas?

My husband suffers greatly from anxiety, and he gets like this when under great stress.

I would advise you to see your GP to rule out any physical cause, then, if your GP thinks it's anxiety, ask for some help with learning relaxation techniques. The GP might know of a group you can go to, or you might find information in yoyur library.

Also from the library, you can get some relaxation cds. You need to listen to them regularly, not just when you feel anxious, so that your brain is 'trained' in using the techniques and will therefore 'click into' the technique when needed.

Good luck and try not to worry!

>:D<<'>

I get this and have been since I was at Secondary School to the point where my Mum asked me when I was about 13 if I had been "messing around with any boys" because I was sick every morning before school! I didn't have a boyfreind till I was 16 but I can now understand why poor Mum was worried!

Anyway I suffer terribly with this, I used to think that is was the cold air hitting my throat that caused it right up untill I went on holiday with DH when we were first together about 15 years ago. We were in Gibraltar and it was hot and he said there is no way this is caused by cold air as it is hot, you are having a panic attack! That was the first time I realised it was caused by anxiety.

Now adays it happens if I am in a hurry, or even slightly worried before going out and every day before the school run and often when I go to collect the children from school especially (like now) when I have a lot of important meetings coming up to discuss DS and the school aren't talking to me. Sometimes it happens out of the blue when I am walking along thinking about something! Its a pain.

I have a fear that I am slightly agrophobic which is the first time I've said that out loud!

I'll tell you how it feels for me so you can compare. I have a terrible feeling that I am going to be suddenly sick, my throat goes dry and feels like it is closing over, it can last for a very long time and I do that thing when you try and stop youself from being sick (gag I suppose - sorry if to graffic!) The more I stop myself the more it goes on and it is terrible if I am out and about and I often think to myself that if someone asked me what was wrong I would pretend I had morning sickness!! Anyway if I actually let myself be sick the feeling goes away but that isn't always possible. I'm sorry to be grafic but I thought it may help you.

I think I know how it started in the first place, my parents used to make us eat all our food whether we liked it or not and one day I had to eat all these sausages and they were really gross so I swallowed them practically whole, was sick but had to hide the fact from my mum and the feeling I get now is the same feeling I had that day trying not to let my mum know I was throwing up her tea. Something also happened at school when I was about 6 and needed to be sick but the teacher wouldn't let me out of the classroom so eventually I ran out and sick in front of the toilet entrance and I got really told off for it. There are quite a few incidences like this around sick so I think that when I feel anxious I associate it with the same feeling as needing to be sick. I also have a terrible sick phobia and can't even watch tv when someone is about to be sick in a program, I'm ok with my own childrens sick but no one else. What a strange person I am eh!

Sorry if I have given to much detail but I hope it helps!!! :lol:

Edited by Sooze2

thanks sooze well done for being so open and honest and admit stuff out loud must take alot so means alot i'm not weird! i get paranoid that people are staring at me for doing it in the street which makes things worse as panic and get anxious more it only just started i don't like the feeling it gives me! my tummy starts feel sicky the goes up to my throat makes noise of and puffs my cheeks out if i am going to throw up i freeze stand still until it does it again! i can't relate mine to sick situations in past i think with me getting worked up,stressed and anxious! the way you graphically describe what happens is mostly same kinda things which occur when i have panic attack with it! or think of something which makes me stressed etc i also have benign hand tremor in both when really anxious stressed etc panuic attacks since little so anxiety stress doesn't like me and my body tries to tell me something! really annoying as try pretend i'm ok with this but freaks me completely out does feel 'normal' along with everything else! i have to stop and pause if walking if going to be sick i try shive back down as hate thought etc of being sick!

so any ideas thoughts i would be most grateful!

thanks

XKX

I find chewing gum or mints of any kind helps a lot, I can concentrate on chewing that way and the stronger the mint the better it works. People say counting to ten and taking deep breaths helps them through it too. I also smoke which als helps me (wouldn't reccomend taking it up as a cure though lol.) and so I sit quietly and have a smoke and a mint to calm myself down.

I think this is fairly common because I had to admit what it was to a freind once because it happened when I was with her one day :wacko: and she said her husband has the same thing and she has heard of a few people this happens to.

A lot of people have weird things going on when they experience stress but few admit it so don't think you are strange.

xx