Sign in to follow this  
mossgrove

Melatonin?

I didn't feel drugged when I tried melatonin, it just helped give my body the cue it was time to sleep now after more than a year of dealing with my daughter's crazy sleep cycle messed me up!

When I was a pre-teen having insomnia but desperately tired, my doctor told me to take Benedryl (antihistamine). A night or two of that did help break an insomnia cycle. I still do that once in a while as well if I need to.

I've used Melatonin as I was desperate for sleep after hysterectomy and ovaries out at 41 - instant meno meant sweating and insomnia for me! I take 3mg and it helps me drop off, but more importantly, keeps me asleep. When I don't take it, no matter how tired( could be up for 24 hours and have demanding job, 13 hour shifts) I'll sleep 1 half hours, then ding! wide awake. I don't use it every night cos don't want to get used to it.

I don't get a hangover from it. My middle son's used it very occassionally, and seems ok with it., works well and no after effects.

love Ali xx

Hello All,

I've mentioned this before but for the benefit of those reading the latest posts.

Our boy with aspergers would lie awake for hours on end singing, writing , anything but sleep. We have been giving him melatonin for well over a year now and it is still effective. I could count on one hand the number of nights he hasn't settled after taking it. Apart from the veryfirst time, when he looked zonked out it has had to visual effect on him but it certainly helps him sleep more quickly.

I'd give it 10 out of 10

Mike

I have used melatonin for a couple of years now for my ADHD child as she only slept for about 2 hours in 24. For us it has worked wonders, she usually takes 4mg, occassionally 6mg. She sleeps now for about 10 hours a night and isnt at all groggy the next day. Now I have her younger diagnosed with Aspbergers I am hoping she too will be prescribed melatonin to help with her sleep pattern.

Who do you get to prescribe metatonin? Did people go to their GP and ask for something to make their child sleep or ask outright if they could have metatonin?

My 2 AS children are awake most nights until 1.30am!! It's really hard to wake them in the morning. They will both quite often get up in the middle of the night and especially the youngest (7). She was asking me if I could buy her some nytol the other day as she'd seen an advert on tv. We've tried all the warm bath, lavender oil, calm time, story route but it makes no difference.

I've always been a bit wary of giving them medication but after reading some of these posts perhaps it's worth a go.

Lisa

Hi Lisa,

My son was prescribed melatonin by his paediatrician at the CDC as it isn't licenced in the UK yet .

I worked for a gp up till 12 months ago and he was unable to prescribe it for this reason not sure if thats changed but i know most children get prescribed it by paeds.

Melatonin will not send your child to sleep its not a sedative although it can be very successful to help the child fall into a natural sleep unfortunatley for us it didn't work on our boy he was on it for around 18 months and taking a very high doseage (a combined doseage of sustained release and regular) he still doesn't sleep before 11pm now and is wide awake by 4 or 5 am and is thriving ,us on the other hand look haggered and 30 years older than what we actually are !!!

Best of Luck with it.

Lisa xxxxxxxxxxxx

We tried phenergen but it seemed to have the opposite effect on my son and it sent him hyper. :(

My children don't see a paediatrician. They've both only seen one once for diagnosis and that was it. The waiting list in our area to see a paediatrician is about 18 months long. Is there anyone else I could see who would prescribe it?

Lisa

hi,

am told gps can now prescribe this. will ask next time I am forced into surgery !

our paed will see kids yearly after dx but will see us if we ring for appt. at any other time. You might find that if your children are still on paed.'s list then you can just ring and ask for an appt. Paed's don't usually sign off asd kids in our area unless parents ask.

Am thinking about getting melatonin for our undx son cos he takes at least two hours to drop off then is comatose in morning when it's time for school. was talking to another parent at earlybird today who's son takes it, and she said it's great for getting them off to sleep but no good for making child stay asleep !!

Fortunately as it's winter our boys can mange to stay asleep all night (however short a night ) but come the summer it's a different story.

Am reluctant to go ahead with out GPs say so but I know from previous experience that htey have little knowledge of this area and are not sympathetic. Perhaps they think I've always looked this k******d !

wac

Hello All, I thought I'd replt to th emore recent posts. My 10 year old son has been using melatonin for 15 months now, it is still effective and there are no side effects. The one and only time he looked zonked out was the very first night he took it.

We give him a 3mg capsule disguised in a drink around 30 mins before bedtime.

It will not cause a problem if used with other medication although other medication may diminish the effects o fthe melatonin slightly.

You can buy melatonin online quite freely. I wouldn't wait 18 months to see a doctor about it.

It is not idle words when it is called the Sleep Master.

Good luck

Mike

We have been using melatonin for our 7yo for about the last two weeks as he was lying awake later and later into the evening (about 11.30 - 12.00) and kept getting up and saying he couldn't sleep because his mind wouldn't switch off. It was becoming increasingly difficult to rouse him for school in the morning as he does need his sleep.

The effects have been subltle rather tha spectacular but he is a little easier to coax into bed in the first place, and will usually fall asleep after a few minutes, so he us usually asleep by about 10.15.

Simon

Hi,

I'm so glad i "accidently" came across this web site today. My six year old son has ADHD and other emotional/behavioural problems.

He was seen by a community paediatrician today, who thinks he may also have Aspergers (hence why i found this site).

My son always used to wear himself out due to being so hyperactive during the day. He'd crash out at 7pm and sleep for 11 or twelve hours. Now he's on Ritalin for his ADHD, he's staying awake until 10 or 11pm, and only sleeping for 9 hours, which is not enough for him. He's grumpy the following day. He's off school at the moment, waiting to hopefully get a place in a special school. I'm worried about how i'm ever going to wake him up when he starts back at school.

I've been trying to find out about Melatonin for ages and now i've read loads of stuff in about 10 minutes! The doctor recommended it for my son, but i was apprehensive as i didn't know much about it. Reading all the comments from parents had made me feel much happier about it, and when i see the Doctor on Monday, i will ask for a prescription.

Thanks!

Loulou :clap:

Hi Loulou, welcome to the forum :)

Glad you found us. You will find lots of information and support on here. We even manage the odd laugh now and then. :lol: Any questions, just ask.

Looking forward to 'chatting' with you.

Nellie xx

I got a letter today from our GP wanting to see Laura (she had a urine infection last week) and so I'm seeing him on Tuesday. I think I'll ask about Melatonin and see what he says. Mine were both asleep today by 11.30pm which is really early for them. I should be making the most of it and be asleep myself.

Lisa

Hi,

I got some Melatonin for my son today and am wondering how i'm going to disguise it (he is six).

Does anyone know if the powder dissolves in a drink and does it taste? My son is very good at detecting if his drinks have been "tampered" with!

I hope it works because his lack of sleep is making him a grumpy boy and me a grumpy mum!

Loulou x

Hi LouLou, We disguise our ladds melatonin in milk either hot or cold but usually made up with chocolate powder. If the doctor is offering to make a prescription, go for it. there are no ill effects with this product. The only thing that may go wrong is that it can lose it's effectiveness over time. We have been using it for over 15 months now and it is still effective. Good Luck

Mike

Hi,

Thanks Mike. I put the Melatonin in some chocolate milkshake at 7.15 and he was asleep at 8.15!!!!!!

HOORAY FOR MELATONIN! :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

I'm so pleased i don't know what to do. I think i'll have a long soak in the bath and a glass of Baileys!

Loulou :D

Loulou,

Brilliant!! :dance: Bet you can't believe it. I think I definitely need to get some for my two. Where did you get the Melatonin?

Lisa

Hi Lisa,

I've just enjoyed the first evening to myself for ages and i think it has helped restore my sanity.

I got the Melatonin from the psychiatrist who sees my son for his ADHD and ?AS.

He said that some GP's will be happy to prescribe it and the pharmacy had it in stock which suprised me.

I think it's definately worth it, for the children's sake and the parent's.

Loulou

I asked my GP about Melatonin and he'd never heard of using it for children with ASD but said he would be interested to know more.

He said that as he doesn't really know anything about it he wouldn't feel comfortable prescribing it for a child but Laura is being referred to a paediatrician for another problem and he suggested that I speak to him.

Could anyone direct me to any "official" information on Melatonin and AS that I could give to our GP?

Lisa

Lisa

There is plenty of stuff on the web,but not sure how much weightyiur doctor would

attach to it.

Might be worth getting in touch with CAMHS in your area as it is very likely that they will be aware of the issues, it was a consultant from CAMHS that prescribed melatonin to our 7 yo.

Simon

Edited by mossgrove

Hi Lisa,

My Dad is a chemist, so he has access to all the clinical trials on Melatonin, which i have a copy of. I may be able to e-mail it to you, so you can give it to your GP. It's not licensed for children in the UK, so that's why GP's are reluctant. I will ask my Dad.

I really hope you can get some for your daughter. My son slept like a log last night for nearly 12 hours and he so much happier today (so am i!).

Have a lovely Christamas,

Loulou :)

Simon, Thanks. Laura is on the waiting list for CAMHS at the moment, I think I'll phone them and ask for help/advice.

Loulou, That would be brilliant if you could. I'll PM my email address to you. Glad it worked and you managed to get a good night's sleep.

Lisa

Lisa

I have sources the following information from the forum hope it helps.

Link to information on Melatonin

http://www.ch.ic.ac.uk/local/projects/s_th...ang/+start.html

Helping your child with autism to sleep better

http://www.nas.org.uk/nas/jsp/polopoly.jsp?d=367&a=3376

Book - Melatonin

Russel J. Reiter, Jo Robinson

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0...6307778-9022055

Hi everyone.... :D

Hope all of you have had a lovely christmas

I have never really looked at the forums for melatonin etc before as thought if my son needed it the doctor would say something to me. He does have problems getting to sleep at night playing with his toys arranging everything in order etc. He gets sent to bed about 9pm now (8yrs old) instead of 8pm. He still doesn't get tired until about 11pm approx sometimes earlier. I have tried reading stories, relaxation music, massage and bath before bed but still he will not get tired. About 10pm few months ago my mother-in-law rang and my son was still awake. I said to him does he want to go out on his bike or play in treasure island with the balls and he said yes. In the morning for school he finds it difficult to wake up and need to shake him. Could anyone advise me about any remedies in a health shop for him to take (nothing that may affect his asthma though). Or do I ask my GP etc about any other medication as not been advised about anything. I'd prefer natural remedies as he has not got it as bad as some of you. He his always on the go in the day jumping on furniture and being is silly self.

Any advice please

Happy new year to you all

Take care

Amanda >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

I was greatly interested in this topic my son can't switch off at night and it takes him about 3 -4 hours each night to fall asleep. I told the Doctor on Friday pleading ignorant and asking for advice . Then I mentioned the melatonin. He told me it was not available for perscription inthe u.K. end of discussion. what is the script ? Is it available or not ?????????/ Slightly confused

Hi,

Melatonin is not licensed in the UK for use on children (but that doesn't mean it's not safe). I got a prescription from my son's psychiatrist (NHS) and the pharmacy had no problems in dispensing it. However, when it ran out, my GP would not prescribe it as it isn't liscensed and he basically said it would leave him open to legal action should there be any side effects. He said as it wasn't licensed, i could sue him if my son had a reaction to it, so he was covering his back.

Fair enough!

I have heard of some GP's prescribing it though.

Loulou x

Hiya,

My 9 year old daughter was awake till around 3am every night singing,talking to herself and playing.

She has been taking melatonin since the end of November. She sometimes falls asleep 1 hr after taking it, but she still has nights where she is still up come 3am.

Does anyone else find they have mixed results????

She is on 2mg, Im thinking maybe the dosage might have to be increased.

Kerry

Kerry

Melatonin's effect is about regulating the sleep cycle so the child falls asleep at an approriate time, rather than ensuring the child stays asleep.

Some people report that it also enables the child to sleep through, but the research is inconclusive, the only clinically proven effect is to regulate the sleep cycle.

You can by slow-release melatonin, which may work for you.

Our son gets his melatatonin on prescription. After discussing his dose we doubled it from 2mg to 4mg as it seemed to be having less effect after the first few days. On 4mg he consistently falls alseep after about an hour, and sleeps through, but sleeping through was not a major issue before.

Simon

Edited by mossgrove

Kerry,

My son has Melatonin on prescription and his dosage is regulated by the Doctor. He is currently taking 6mg of ordinary Melatonin and 3mg of slow release Melatonin at night, so 9mg a night in total. Even with this dosage he is sometimes unable to sleep but when he is taking it his anxieties are less and he is generally calmer and more able to rest even when not sleeping.

The higher dosage does mean that my son is more likely to sleep and the slow-release version does help him sleep longer but the results are still mixed.

Hi,

We have a mum in our group whose son has been given melatonin-mainly because the school did not like him being late on a morning.

Melatonin is working, in as much as, he is now going to sleep earlier after his medication, but his mum has expressed concern that he is now having dreadful night terrors. He has had them before but not every single night. The night terrors are waking him up and then she is having problems settling him down again.

He is also being very hyper during the day - again he is always hyper, but the school have been calling her because he is doing things, like running his head under a cold water tap and climbing walls, that he has never done before.

Could there be a connection between these new developments and the melatonin? I have read the thread and no one has mentioned side effects but I thought that I would ask?

thanks

Carole

Hi Carole,

I read the ramdomised controlled trials (US) on Melatonin and there was nothing mentioned about side effects.

The only concern was that puberty may be delayed with long term use (although this wasn't actually PROVEN).

My son has been on it for about six weeks and he's been fine. He is actually have less nightmares because he is absolutely sparko for about 11 hours!

Hope this helps!

Loulou x

Hi Carole,

I agree with Loulou I researched it pretty thoroughly before I gave it to my son and the things you mentioned were not reported in the trials. My son's psychiatrist tells me that she often uses Melatonin to help with these sort of things because even if it doesn't help to induce sleep it has a calming effect and so helps with extreme anxiety.

Hi,

The little boy in question does have some serious allergy problems and that was why I was wondering, and mum was wondering about this. It just seems odd that all of this started within days of him taking the melatonin?

Carole

Hello All, Just to add a little to the most recent replies. Our 10 year old lad has been taking melatonin for almost 18 months now. 3mg per night and it is just as effective now as when we started.

About prescriptions for melatonin. Our lad's paediatrician prescribed it up until 3 months ago, then he wrote to our GP and we now get our prescription through the GP.

I have discovered over the years that seeing another GP within the same practise can help to get things moving particularly with referalls, getting Gluten free prescriptions etc.

I believe that reluctance on GPs part to prescribe a course of action may not entirely be down to practice policy but by personal attitudes.

Good Luck

Mike

I have just had my first Melatonin experience . Wow, this stuff really works.

My son is 19 and over the years he has had periods where getting to sleep has been an absolute nightmare. He gets set into a sleep pattern where he doesnt sleep until the early hours and is then sleepy and grumpy the following day. We have just lived with it and eventually his pattern adjusts but he still never sleeps before midnight. We have never sought medical help because to be honest we just got on with it.

I bought the Melatonin on holiday in Orlando. I went to a huge chemists and found it with the food supplements, it was even on special offer, buy 30 and get 30 free!!

After all the stuff I had read about it I felt a bit like Indianna Jones holding a rare historical artefact. It cost 10 dollars (approx 6 quid) and I felt strangely guilty when I paid for it

Anyway on our return home jet lag kicked in and my son started his usual not sleeping until 4 in the morning sleep pattern. I crushed a melatonin tablet and mixed it with some strawberry syrup and gave it to my son. He was asleep well before midnight and slept soundly all night, wonderful.

I have given a handful to a friend whose 18 year old autistic son is the complete opposite to my lad. He falls asleep at about 9 in the evening and wakes at 4 or 5 in the morning. My poor friend has been getting up at this time time of day for years now and I will be interested to see if this stuff has helped him.

I will use the melatonin as a stand by and its reassuring to know that its there if needed.

Loraine

Hi to you all,

My son Dan now age 10 has been on Melatonon (prescribed by the paediatrician) for a year and half. I use it at my own descretion, i only give him 3mg each school night and none on a weekend as I don't mind him up late! Within 1/2 hour he's snuggled down and ready for sleep.

I was given last time the slow release capsule but it did not work the same.

If anyone is afraid to try their child on this medication like i was..please don't be, it's harmless as far as i can tell, it's only been good for us. My son used to wake as many as 10 times per night since birth but now he either wakes the next morning or wakes only to go to the loo! (Unless he's poorly) Bliss ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Hope this helps!

Best Wishes,

Rachx

Hi

I'm new to the forum ;) . Have a son (almost 5) who was dx at 2. He is non verbal and attends an SEN school, also have an NT daughter. He's been on melatonin for 2 years or so now (4mg) I find it knocks him out for 6 hours or so but then he's up again wide wake. Has anyone else found it does this? For me its almost better to just keep him up with me till 11 so at least I get a reasonable stretch of sleep but then that means no child free time in the evening with him bouncing around, creating mess and generally creating havoc :bounce::wacko:

Candy