Frizz

Ball or no ball?

My vac is only 11 months old-I have hated it since I bought it & really should have taken it right back,but it was on bargain & I figured I would get used to it!! I have been looking at a replacement & all sources say Dyson is the one. I have wooden floors,tiled floors,rugs & carpet so I need an 'all floors' variety. Dyson seem to have options that come with a ball or without. I want to get it right this time,especially with the cost involved! There are so many cleaners out there but I guess I am being sucked into the Dyson world even tho I have never used one before, because of their popularity. Any comments would be much appreciated. Oh, & my toaster blew up today as well............ :lol:

we have a dyson but not the one with the ball, but when we replace it will get a ball one. dyson customer service is FANTASTIC and they offer flat-rate service and repair where they will replace absolutely everything that is showing any sign of wear, no matter what the actual problem was. our first dyson vacuum lasted nearly 10 years because of this!! we also have the dyson washing machine, they dont make that any more but will still come out and repair it, replace any worn parts and fit any upgrades (theyre still improving it even though they dont make it any more), and if they were to make any other household appliances, we'd be getting them too - they're that good! the actual vacuum is better than any others wwe've had. we did the same as you and bought another brand, then had to replace it almost straight away becase it was rubbish, we've had dysons for about 12 years now and wouldln't consider anything else

Hi,

We were given a Henry as a wedding present nearly 20 years ago and it has been the most reliable, amazing machine EVER!!!! It has one switch that flicks from carpet to wooden/tiled floor and picks up everything, including cat hairs (in the days when we had them). It has never broken down and simple change of bags every few months is all the maintenance it needs.

My dad bought me a Dyson a few years ago cos he was so obsessed with his and i hated it - sold it to a friend!

So, thats my humble opinion.

Stella x

ps don't get me started on toasters ggrrrr!!!!

Edited by Stella63

We are v happy with our Dyson. I am especially happy because its too heavy for me to carry upstairs, so mr p does half the vacuuming :thumbs: Think we'll get a ball one next time.

:thumbs: Another Henry fan here...

My dad used to use his to vacuum out the grate after he'd had a coal fire (too lazy to sweep the ashes up!)...one day he sucked up a still-glowing coal, without realising.

The first he knew was 3 daughters and a wife screaming at him 'the hoover's on fire!!!!' (yes-Henry, Dyson,...they're all Hoovers to us!!!).

That Henry's still in good working order, even though his plastic body's a bit melted and deformed :whistle: !

Just to even up the discussion, I don't like dysons. I have one and I use it only because we have a dog who leaves a thick carpet of dog hairs on top of the other carpets, the dyson is terrible for picking them up, the only good thing about it is that it is bagless and needs emptied (of dog hairs) 2/3 times per room. The vacuum I love best is my meile, lovely and quiet and picks up everything (just can't afford all the bags I would go through) if we didn't have the dog I would use this all the time.

I am banned from buying vacuums, I have a collection of them in the cupboard under the stairs, last time I bought a new one and my hubby saw it he said " you're supposed to empty them when full, not buy new ones" :whistle:

One good thing about dysons is that you can wash most of the bits, to keep it nice and clean.

I'm a Vax fan :thumbs:

Didn't think the Dyson at work was anything special, but my Vax is a wet and dry model and built like a small tank, should last forever!

Boho :dance:

Edited by bid

I am banned from buying vacuums, I have a collection of them in the cupboard under the stairs, last time I bought a new one and my hubby saw it he said " you're supposed to empty them when full, not buy new ones" :whistle:

I've got a vacuum for upstairs, a vacuum for downstairs and use a dustpan and brush for the stairs! .......

Watch out that I don't get one for the cellars :whistle:

Thankyou all for your views. I wish I had the answer now, but still dont!!!! Guess thats typical, fits in with the rest of my life- Always searching for answers!!!

Hi

I really should not have entered this discussion, raving about my lovely reliable Henry - I have been punished for boasting!!! :shame: Got him out yesterday and he has died :crying:

Well I know he has lasted extremely well, considering I go through washing machines at the rate of one a year!! but I am a little sad. Anyways I will be going shopping later and will buy myself a new Henry (and its got a more powerful machine in it!!)

Stella x