Sign in to follow this  
Julieanne

In the care of the authority?

I have been told that i can get Jay into a place where he can go and possibly after a period of time stay overnight. It is a place run by the local council and is part of his respite care. I currently get 12 hours a month family link, with a family that have known jay for a long time and he has built up a strong bond and we trust them completely.

With this placement because he may stay overnight, he becomes in ''care of the local authorty''. I am not sure about this. And would like to know other peoples views on their experience with this and how they got on.

Does anyone currently have this as respite care for their child?

Thank in advance for any replys

Julieanne x >:D<<'> >:D< >:D<<'>

If your child gets any kind of respite they are designated a 'looked after child'...an umbrella term which also covers those children in the care of SS. It's a clumsy term which IMO should be changed, but it doesn't mean that you have put your child into care or anything.

HTH

Bid :)

Hi Julianne

from what you say it sounds to me as if they might be offering what they call accommodation under section 20 (of the Children Act 1989), which means you're still in charge, you're just asking for a bit of help.

If it is section 20, it's voluntary, and doesn't mean you sign away any rights or responsibilities. It can't be offered if anyone with parental responsibilities objects, and you can take your child away at any time.

don't know if that's right, it just sounded as if that's what it might be

all the best,

Sarah

my sister is getting married in September and children are not invited,so we have found a respite care home for him for 2 nights,they will even pick him up from school and i don't want to call it respite care :wub: ,because i don't need respite from him and call it sleep overs he is 9 with ASD and i am trying not to feel guilty for him going there. Our consultant says he needs to learn how to function away from home with sleep overs and going out. I would like to see my sister married, we will fly south for that for quickness,but i have to try to enjoy sisters wedding without feeling guilty. :unsure:

Edited by sesley

respite care is great for older children. they get spoiled rotten, get to do things they never normally would and generally have a great time having lots of attention and treats. the respite issue can also be viewed two ways, it can be viewed as 'i need a break because this kid is hard work' or you can view it as you get a break to relax, and the child also gets a mini-holiday away from their every-day troubles, which leaves everyone fresh and ready to deal with life again.

the only reason i restrict it to older children is that having done respite care for some younger kids (18months -3 years) i know that at that age its rather confusing for them unless its a regular thing.