worried mum

snap-iv test

Hi i was just wondering if anybody on here has had to complete one of these before? We were given a diagnosis 3 years ago of a-typical autism but now the psychiatrist(?) who has met with us twice wants us to compete one of these forms (and also school too). He now (unofficially) thinks the original diagnosis (not made by him) was incorrect??? but he has said he needs to some more assessments including a school visit etc.

From what i have read this form seems to be more for adhd? is it possible for a child to display behaviours of both? or does adhd come under the autism spectrum umberella? i'm confused!!! :tearful::tearful::wallbash::wallbash:

Thanks for your help xx

My son has both ADHD and Autism.

It could be that they are looking at a dual diagnosis, is he finding school harder at the moment? I know DS's school wrote to his consultant because he was becoming more difficult so his ADHD needed controlling a wee bit.

I'm not sure what a Snap iv test is.

Hi there,

my son also has both conditions, but the ADHD behaviours were so extreme that until they were dealt with, we couldn't even begin to deal with the problems his autism was causing him. Having said that, many of his triggers were down to his AS but it is so very difficult when they have co-morbids because, IMO, both conditions kind of 'feed off' one another and a vicious cycle is perpetuated.

I'm happy to say things are a lot better now for him (he no longer climbs walls, for instance!) and he's making progress now that he's being dealt with in a more beneficial way.....

I can't say I've heard of the Snap-IV test either, but I do know we had a good few questionnairey type tests as well as much observation and comparison of notes from home, school and CAMHS before a diagnosis was arrived at, if that helps?

It is all a bit bewildering when you're in the thick of it, I agree but I promise there is a light at the end of the tunnel (and it's not an oncoming train, thankfully, hurhur!!) and you guys will get there.

There can be both present, or even other combinations of disorders or traits of disorders.

I would ask for clarification because you must be worried if you feel they are hinting at the fact that he might not be on the spectrum. But when you talk to the psychiatrist you may find that that is not the case at all and he maybe thinking there is ADHD as well.

My son has a diagnosis of an autistic spectrum disorder. He also has some aspects of ADD/ADHD, but this has not gone as far as a diagnosis because his short attention span and impulsiveness maybe how autism affects him as he has plenty of concentration for the things he likes and he tends to be impulsive when upset or obsessed.

Some characteristics of both can be similar.

You could google DSM IV diagnostic criteria for both autism/aspergers and ADHD and see what the differences and similarities are.

I don't think those with a diagnosis of just ADHD typically have language or social interation/communication difficulties (down to language or social skills), or problems with flexibility of thought or imagination etc.

If you are not happy with the outcome I think you would be within your rights to ask for a second opinion and ask for a referral to a multi disciplinary team that has experience of diagnosing ASDs.

You might find it helpful to speak with the NAS or ISPEA about it. But also talk to the psychiatrist as they maybe able to relieve alot of your concerns.

Thank you everyone who has replied, we are sending the snapi-v questionnaire back and hopefully the school visit will be in September and we will be seen again soon after, this is probably a good time for the visit as the start of a new year is one of the hardest school times for him (although i think the end and christmas is the hardest). We will see what he says when we next see him, after he's had all this extra information and been into school. Thanks you all x

Hi. I wonder if the test is similar to the connors rating test? My DD has an AS diagnosis & CAMHS want to do the connors test at home & school because they feel she possibly has ADHD too. School is just a constant battle (a nightmare infact) but thats another moan for another day! Although I dont want another lable for DD, I so want her extreme behaviours cease. Maybe your child has both & its not an incorrect diagnosis? Good luck-we all need some of that!