Sign in to follow this  
Mad cat lady

Mobile phone opt -out - not a scam

MOBILE PHONE DIRECTORY - YOU WILL BE IN IT FROM NEXT MONDAY

All UK mobiles will be on a directory which will mean that anyone will be able to access the numbers. It is easy to unsubscribe but it must be done before the beginning of next week to make sure that you are ex directory. I have already unsubscribed and you may want to suggest it to all your friends and family who have UK mobiles or they could be swamped by unsolicited messages and calls. Removal is recommended by the BBC – see link below.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/w ... 091621.stm

Double checked it wasn’t a scam .. it is actually the real deal folks. Shocking.

This Directory of Mobile Phone numbers goes live next week.

All numbers including those belonging to children will be open to cold calling and the general abuse that less scrupulous telesales people subject us too.

To remove your number go here. (you need your mobile phone with you to do this, they text you a code)

* the website to opt out has gone down due to an overload (I wonder why) but keep checking every day if you want your phones opted out.

http://www.118800.co.uk/removeme/remove-me.html

You can remove your number from this list, and tell all your friends - especially those with children who have mobile phones. I personally believe my mobile number is private and I should be able to chose who I give it to - none of us agreed to this when we signed our mobile phone contracts.

Edited by Mad cat lady

I didnt sigh a contract, my phone is a pay as you go, the phone company do not have my details so how can they be included.

I didnt sigh a contract, my phone is a pay as you go, the phone company do not have my details so how can they be included.

The company who are doing this 118 800 have bought databases and details from several sources, if you have never had your mobile number put on any database then it will not go on, if however you have given it to one of the companies who have sold their database (eg a utility company) then it will go on, I know not all PAYG are registered but my orange one was, to connect to the network my details were taken, personally I don't want my mobile on a directory and I would rather opt out than run the risk of being put in a directory.

My main concern is for children and vulnerable people who need a mobile for safety reasons.

Ive been trying to get onto this site for days.My brother mailed me about it on Tuesday. I still havent been able to register my details & time is running out! Does anyone know of any other avenue? It seems so wrong that they can do this & that you may not be able to stop them listing your number!!

grr.

the government needs to ban these companies selling the numbers of high risk people. as a foster carer i'm at risk of getting malicious and threatening phone calls from various people (i've had them before) involved in care proceedings. we had to pay to have the home phone ex-directory after someone accessed our number through the post office, and now they're giving people access to my mobile to harass me there instead!!